Should I get back into flying (long)

Old December 8th 05, 01:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Should I get back into flying (long)

Yes, I was flying IFR at the time and had no problems at all. I do
recall that there was rule saying NO pop-ups, and one day I heard some
dummy asking for a pop-up clearance to get down through an undercast
and being denied.

I guess he's still up there.

Oh, come on! It must have been VFR once since that day!

Good one, Peter!

vince norris
Old December 20th 05, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Y'All,
It' not just the FAA. It's the FBO, insurance companies, insurance agents
and most of all the lawyers. At 81 I am having to deal with all of these
even though I have never had a negative mark on my flying record in over
11,000 hours and over 10,000 instructional hours.

I have always carried my own liability and non-owned aircraft insurance at a
cost of about $3,000 per year with never a claim.
Only one time have I used AOPA legal services and after 14 months the FAA
dropped the case. The wanted $500 and I fought them to a standstill.

However, a clean record is not enough for an insurance company that lives in
fear of legal firms that prey on aviation. The tale recently given to me
was that if any one of the other instructors of my FBO were to cause an
insurance claim, one of the attacks by a lawyer might be against my FBO that
they were negligent in letting an 81-year old instructor teach using their
aircraft. I'm presently on a
short leash even though I'm the only instructor carrying my own
insurance as well.

I have in the past week passed my renewal of my CFI and flight review. Need
an IFR proficciency ride since my plane has been down a long time. Also need
a club 6-month check in complex-high performance aircraft (182RG)

More things happen more often as you get older.

Gene Whitt

Old December 20th 05, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Gene Whitt wrote:
[...]

Gettin old is better than the alternative but ' I feel your pain'. At
70 ( last year) AIG cut my 1 M smooth policy to 1 M with 100k per. I
was able to get 1 M and $250 per with Avemco but I can see that as you
age, you become a poorer risk without considering any other elements.

Chuck

Old December 20th 05, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

At
70 ( last year) AIG cut my 1 M smooth policy to 1 M with 100k per.

Is this a non-owned policy? I know of nowhere to get a 1M smooth
non-owned policy.

Jose
--
You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.
Old December 20th 05, 07:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Mostly bad news makes it on the evening news. Mostly bad news makes it
on newsgroups. In 29 years I haven't gotten any attention from the FAA
that I did not deserve.
--
Gene Seibel
Tales of Flight - http://pad39a.com/gene/tales.html

Old December 21st 05, 04:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Jose wrote:
At
70 ( last year) AIG cut my 1 M smooth policy to 1 M with 100k per.

Is this a non-owned policy? I know of nowhere to get a 1M smooth
non-owned policy.

Jose
--
You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.

I've owned my Archer for about 9 years amd have had a smooth $1 M
untill this last year.

Chuck