New usenet group proposal: sci.energy.biofuel.*

Old June 20th 08, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,sci.energy

Default New usenet group proposal: sci.energy.biofuel.*

Howdy,

There has been a lot of Interest in biofuels spread out over many
different groups lately. As a subscriber to this group, I hope you'll
assist me in creating a proper set of forums for these topics.

sci.energy.biofuel.* is a new hierarchy that is being discussed in
news.groups.proposals.

Please support this initiative by posting a few positive words to the

Thanks in advance!
Old June 20th 08, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,sci.energy
Bob Kuykendall

Isn't that one already covered by sci.net.energy.sink?
Old June 24th 08, 11:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,sci.energy
Sevenhundred Elves

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 08:37:21 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Howdy,

There has been a lot of Interest in biofuels spread out over many
different groups lately. As a subscriber to this group, I hope you'll
assist me in creating a proper set of forums for these topics.

sci.energy.biofuel.* is a new hierarchy that is being discussed in
news.groups.proposals.

Please support this initiative by posting a few positive words to the

Thanks in advance!

I'm against it. I'm not dead set against it like I'll vigorously
oppose it, but I do think sci.energy is large enough to contain
discussions of biofuel, and I have a hunch that most posters to
sci.energy find biofuels interesting at the moment and like to discuss
them right here. But if there was a separate newsgroup for biofuels
only, I'm not sure I'd find it interesting enough to seek it out. Too
narrow, you see. If you had proposed something at least a little
broader, like "sci.energy.fuel" I would have been more positive.
Comparisons of fossil fuels and biofuel are interesting, but a name
like "sci.energy.biofuel" might not attract those who would take a
stand against biofuel, thus discussions would be one-sided.

Fuel is still very much on topic for sci.energy.

S.
Old June 25th 08, 01:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,sci.energy

wrote:
[...]

The hierarchy included groups for engineering chemistry, advocacy, and
agriculture. The charters were intended to provide a location for
collaboration for these disciplines as they relate to biofuels, not a
place to discuss fuel in general. So discussing an engine, or
titration, or soil chemistry would be on topic, but the good/bad of
biofuels would have definitely been off topic.

But it is a moot point. The big-8 board has quashed the initiative.

Old June 25th 08, 03:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,sci.energy
cavelamb himself[_4_]

Everyone talks about our terrible dependency on oil -- foreign and
otherwise -- but hardly anyone mentions what it is. Fossil fuel, all
right, but whose fossils? Mostly tiny plants called diatoms, but quite
possibly a few Barney-like creatures went into the mix, like
Stegosaurus, Brontosaurus and other giant reptiles that shared the
Jurassic period with all those diatoms. What we are burning in our cars
and keeping our homes warm or cool with is, in other words, a highly
processed version of corpse juice.

I say to my fellow humans: It's time to stop feeding off the dead and
grow up! I don't know about food, but I have a plan for achieving fuel
self-suffiency in less time than it takes to say "Arctic National
Wildlife Refuge." The idea came to me from reports of the growing crime
of French fry oil theft: certain desperate individuals are stealing
restaurants' discarded cooking oil, which can then be used to fuel cars.
So the idea is, Why not could skip the French fry phase and harvest
high-energy hydrocarbons right from ourselves?

I'm talking about liposuction, of course, and it's a mystery to me why
it hasn't occurred to any of those geniuses who are constantly opining
about fuel prices on MSNBC. The average liposuction removes about half a
gallon of liquid fat, which may not seem like much. But think of the
vast reserves our nation is literally sitting on! Thirty percent of
Americans are obese, or about 90 million individuals or 45 million
gallons of easily available fat -- not from dead diatoms but from our
very own bellies and butts.

(The Nation) This column was written by Barbara Ehrenreich.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...n4205088.shtml
Old June 25th 08, 03:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,sci.energy

On Jun 24, 10:23 pm, cavelamb himself wrote:
[...]

The FDA would lever allow it. Sucking fat out of peoples asses would
put great
hazard to them being stabbed in the brain with the hose.

Old June 26th 08, 05:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,sci.energy

On Jun 24, 8:23 pm, cavelamb himself wrote:
Everyone talks about our terrible dependency on oil -- foreign and
otherwise -- but hardly anyone mentions what it is. Fossil fuel, all
right, but whose fossils? Mostly tiny plants called diatoms, but quite
possibly a few Barney-like creatures went into the mix, like
Stegosaurus, Brontosaurus and other giant reptiles that shared the
Jurassic period with all those diatoms. What we are burning in our cars
and keeping our homes warm or cool with is, in other words, a highly
processed version of corpse juice.

I wonder about that. Just how many dead dinosaurs did it take
to create the gazillions of barrels of known oil reserves (or whatever
the big number is)?
Around ten years ago some scientists in the Ukraine tested a
theory that's been bouncing around awhile that says that oil can be
formed deep in the earth by heat and pressure as a reaction between
water and limestone. Those Ukrainians did that: they mixed water and
dolomite (limestone) and subjected it to terrific pressure and heated
it, and got something pretty close to crude oil out of it. Limestone,
I know, is made up of diatoms' skeletons.

As far as biofuel goes, I'm willing to donate some belly fat if
I can get a tankful of gas out of it. Or we could distill some of the
baloney from alternative energy group discussions and get almost
unlimited fuel.

Dan

Old June 27th 08, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,sci.energy
Rob Dekker

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message ...

I'm talking about liposuction, of course, and it's a mystery to me why it hasn't occurred to any of those geniuses who are
constantly opining about fuel prices on MSNBC. The average liposuction removes about half a gallon of liquid fat, which may not
seem like much. But think of the vast reserves our nation is literally sitting on! Thirty percent of Americans are obese, or about
90 million individuals or 45 million gallons of easily available fat -- not from dead diatoms but from our very own bellies and
butts.

Cute.
Unfortunately, in the US, 45 million gallons is burned in less time than it took you to write the posting.

Old June 27th 08, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,sci.energy
Eric Gisin

wrote:
On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 08:37:21 -0700 (PDT), "

There has been a lot of Interest in biofuels spread out over many
different groups lately. As a subscriber to this group, I hope you'll
assist me in creating a proper set of forums for these topics.

sci.energy.biofuel.* is a new hierarchy that is being discussed in
news.groups.proposals.

Why the hell do you need more than one ****ing group?

Please support this initiative by posting a few positive words to the

**** off and die.

[...]

If you want a hierarchy, here's a logical one:
sci.energy
.fuel
..bio
..hydrogen
..fossil
..water-lunatics

But it is a moot point. The big-8 board has quashed the initiative.

Good for them.

Mind Control and Directed Energy Weapons soleilmavis Naval Aviation 2 July 31st 07 05:55 AM
Energy management Ian Cant Soaring 11 February 18th 07 10:14 PM
Energy-absorbing foam for seats ELIPPSE Home Built 7 April 8th 05 10:43 PM
*IMPORTANT* Message for Google Group, Usenet and AOL users! [email protected] Soaring 8 January 30th 05 02:32 AM
varios not using a total energy probe Robert Soaring 20 April 25th 04 11:24 PM