ClearVav vs. LXNav

Old March 9th 18, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default ClearVav vs. LXNav

Cliff,

Think outside of the panel.Â* My LAK-17a had a very small panel so, to
mount my Dell Streak 5" display, I used two Adel clamps in line attached
to the side of the panel and a flex mount to hold the mini tablet.Â* I
placed it on the left side, angled so that it was perfectly visible but
didn't block any instruments.

HERE https://www.dropbox.com/s/d61t34oz6x8ert6/panel.jpg?dl=0 is a
picture of my installation.Â* Something like this might work for you.

On 3/9/2018 8:20 AM, wrote:
I agree with Darryl, I absoulutly love foreflight and they have added a glide amoeba which in the 170 I fly in it with, is one step closer to making it something I would put in my 27. I admittedly have only a garmin 196 and a SN10B for my 27 now and have not flown with a clearnav or lxnav. I have flown with xc soar on a android But I would replace my 196 with a Ipad mini running foreflight now if I had the room.

--
Dan, 5J

Old March 9th 18, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

And I prefer redheads, but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with
blondes...

On 3/9/2018 9:43 AM, jfitch wrote:
On Thursday, March 8, 2018 at 5:36:08 PM UTC-8, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
On Thursday, March 8, 2018 at 6:35:28 PM UTC-5, jfitch wrote:
On Thursday, March 8, 2018 at 11:05:31 AM UTC-8, wrote:
With 7 buttons, two knobs, and a 114 page manual I'm not sure Zeus has broken any new man-machine interface barriers. Imagine if Google maps on your cell phone came with a 114 page manual.
Fitchy, Keep in mind those buttons are labeled , unlike some other glide computers. I should have said GUI instead of UI. The LXNavigation stuff at the show had some of the best looking (And yes easiest to interpret) screens of anyone. And thats coming from an LXNav guy. Also, why do you assume instrument manufacturers would use dated technology in regards to touch screens. The stuff displayed at the show was cutting edge in both accuracy and brightness.
If Google Maps could do what my glide computer could I would expect a 114 page manual.FWIW my S100 manual is 105 pages and still leaves a bit uncovered. When you consider the capability and versatility of these things 114 pages is nothing. Even for people like me with short attention spans.
I didn't say they use dated technology but of course they do. Touch screens used are abysmally bad compared to state of the art cell phones. Many are still using resistive overlays vs. the capacitive in-screen touch sensor on cell phones. The Zeus is a 800 x 640 screen vs. 2436 x 1125 on my cell phone, 5 times as many pixels (at 1/4 the price). State of the art cell phones use OLED these days. I'm not really blaming them, the entire lifetime production run of Zeus is about 1 or 2 minutes (literally!!) production for a cell phone manufacturer (about 500K units an hour).

But my point was really UI. There are a couple of modern attempts at flight computers on cell phones: iGlide and WinPilot live. Both have a UI and presentation about 2 decades ahead of LX, LXNav, SYM, etc. Google and Apple have both sunk hundreds of millions of dollars into developing the UI and graphic engines, you cannot expect specialty OS and hardware to keep up in a very small market. The ClearNav have done a better job than most at modernization but is still suffers from the same market realities.

A good gage of UI is "modalism", experts (including the FAA) consider modes generally bad in UI. As a rough gage, the 114 page manual for Zeus mentions "mode" 77 times. The iGlide 16 page manual mentions "mode" twice, both referring to the simulator mode which is not used in setup or flight.

I have been flying with iGlide and LX9000 for long time. I like iGlide for its simplicity but the feature set in iGlide does not come close to what LX9000 offers. In regards to operations the LX9000 is much easier to operate in bumpy air than iGlide and while screen visibility is not bad in iGlide it does not compare to LX9000. I have iGlide in my cockpit as a backup, but I would never rely on its final glide calculation.

I'm curious as to what you find that is essential in the LX9000, that is missing from iGlide. In another thread there were things mentioned like being able to put the glider manual on it etc., but of course any cell phone can render PDFs better than the LX. The final glide calculation in iGlide or any computer is very simple math, and they all do it correctly - any discrepancy is a misunderstanding by software or pilot of the assumptions used. iGlide in particular makes different calculations based on terrain, which I find confusing (and I wish they would change), which is why I leave it off. It results in navboxes for arrival height showing different values than you expect, though correct with their assumptions.

The main thing I find missing from iGlide is the ability to do a MAT task in any reasonable way. To compare screen visibility you need to look at an OLED cell phone - the last generation LED where as you say not bad but not as bright as LX/CN/etc.

--
Dan, 5J
Old March 10th 18, 12:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

Lukewarm wrote:

""The ClearNav have done a better job than most at modernization"

This statement literally made me blow coffee out my nose.

I have flown with XCSoar, LXNav, LXNavigation and ClearNav systems, each has advantages and disadvantages. The CN system is "simple" to use and the vario coupled with the square display is superb, probably the best I have flown with so far. To call it modern however, is a far stretch. The user interface is straight out of a 1980's video game console as are the CGA graphics. ClearNav is essentially Glide Navigator II - Colour with updated tasking support.

Luke Szczepaniak "

I admit to bias as a delighted LX 9000 user, but from screenshots I have seen online I agree that the graphics of CN would prevent me contemplating it.. As it happens, I enjoy setting up my own presentation using LX Styler so the flexibility of LX Nav software would make me choose their stuff over the others. I also have an Oudie IGC which I consider to be the gold standard of standalone devices, and have both set up to a model based on how I had Winpilot 20 years ago.

For someone who doesn't enjoy playing with these things, the most important advice is to choose the one your friends have, and study it on the ground.
Old March 11th 18, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi Dan yes my 27 panel is full and I have the 196 on a ram mount of of the panel kinda the same as yours
Old March 11th 18, 05:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

After suffering for many years with Microsoft, I am now a Mac person, but keep my ancient Vista PC running since glider companies seem to only offer PC software. I wish they would offer Mac versions. I do like LXNav hardware, but their user manual is appalling, since it tries to combine all their many products into one document, and is written by someone who thinks they can speak english, but actually can't.
Old March 11th 18, 06:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Saturday, March 10, 2018 at 9:31:37 PM UTC-8, wrote:
After suffering for many years with Microsoft, I am now a Mac person, but keep my ancient Vista PC running since glider companies seem to only offer PC software. I wish they would offer Mac versions. I do like LXNav hardware, but their user manual is appalling, since it tries to combine all their many products into one document, and is written by someone who thinks they can speak english, but actually can't.

You can always run VMWare or Parallels, for those rare moments when you need to run corrupt and adulterate your computer to run a Windoz program.
Old March 11th 18, 02:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Saturday, March 10, 2018 at 9:31:37 PM UTC-8, wrote:
After suffering for many years with Microsoft, I am now a Mac person, but keep my ancient Vista PC running since glider companies seem to only offer PC software. I wish they would offer Mac versions. I do like LXNav hardware, but their user manual is appalling, since it tries to combine all their many products into one document, and is written by someone who thinks they can speak english, but actually can't.

Why don't you download the manual for your device. I have never seen a LXNav manual is for more than one device. For the LX9070 the manual is very good as it is for the S3, the ACL and remote stick.
Old March 12th 18, 03:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, March 11, 2018 at 7:58:54 AM UTC-7, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
On Saturday, March 10, 2018 at 9:31:37 PM UTC-8, wrote:
After suffering for many years with Microsoft, I am now a Mac person, but keep my ancient Vista PC running since glider companies seem to only offer PC software. I wish they would offer Mac versions. I do like LXNav hardware, but their user manual is appalling, since it tries to combine all their many products into one document, and is written by someone who thinks they can speak english, but actually can't.

Why don't you download the manual for your device. I have never seen a LXNav manual is for more than one device. For the LX9070 the manual is very good as it is for the S3, the ACL and remote stick.

Jonathan
can you send me the link to the LX8080 user manual (English) please? On the LXNav website, I can only see a single user manual that covers all the 80xx and 90xx models.
thanks
Old March 12th 18, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hal[_3_]

Have you ever tried to manipulate a touch screen while bouncing around in turbulence?
Old March 12th 18, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hal[_3_]

Keep the CN user interphase the way it is. Have you tried to manipulate a touch screen while bouncing in turbulence?