"Bounce" those bugs away...

Old October 16th 05, 04:37 PM
Don Hammer

Default "Bounce" those bugs away...

I don't know how you guys can stand it down south, where you must deal
with this year 'round. The first frost can't be too far off, can it?

Don't know about the rest of the south, but I don't have 25% of the
bugs in Dallas we had in Ohio. The old saying is you need a hard
winter to get rid of the bugs. I'm not so sure.

e.g.

The north slope of Alaska - 2700 ft of permafrost. Temperatures for
most of the year that will freeze all exposed skin in less than 20
min. For a few weeks in the middle of the year it thaws out about the
top 6" of that. The "National Bird of Alaska" comes out. Mosquitoes
so bad they will kill an unprotected you in less than a day. BTW This
cold hell is what ANWR looks like, not Bambi in the forest.

Old October 16th 05, 05:16 PM
Jay Honeck

I don't know how you guys can stand it down south, where you must deal
with this year 'round. The first frost can't be too far off, can it?

Don't know about the rest of the south, but I don't have 25% of the
bugs in Dallas we had in Ohio.

For some reason, I don't ever think of Dallas as "Down South"...

I was thinking Louisiana/Mississippi/Florida...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 16th 05, 06:51 PM

Don Hammer wrote:
: The north slope of Alaska - 2700 ft of permafrost. Temperatures for
: most of the year that will freeze all exposed skin in less than 20
: min. For a few weeks in the middle of the year it thaws out about the
: top 6" of that. The "National Bird of Alaska" comes out. Mosquitoes
: so bad they will kill an unprotected you in less than a day. BTW This
: cold hell is what ANWR looks like, not Bambi in the forest.

Lived in Alaska, too... yes the mosquitos are vicious and can kill you
if unprotected for long enough.

I don't know that I agree with the term "hell" though.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old October 16th 05, 06:53 PM
A Lieberman

On 16 Oct 2005 09:16:32 -0700, Jay Honeck wrote:

Don't know about the rest of the south, but I don't have 25% of the
bugs in Dallas we had in Ohio.

For some reason, I don't ever think of Dallas as "Down South"...

I was thinking Louisiana/Mississippi/Florida...

We'd be the deep south for MS, LA and FL.

I have lived in both Ohio and MS, been through Dallas.

More variety of seasonal bugs here in MS, May flies, June bugs, and love
bugs. In Ohio, all I remember were the lady type bugs that Jay is
encountering.

Dallas seems too dry for bugs to survive, just my impression anyway.

Hurricane Katrina seem to awaken the love out of the love bugs as this was
the worst year I have seen since being in MS.

Bug traffic is so thick, for May flies, that they look like a cloud when
swarming, there are that many. They only have a 1 to 2 week live span.
These guys are easy to get off of paint though, so I don't mind running
into them. It's those dang Love bugs that are a mess to clean off.

First frost here is usually December, but the cool weather does seem to
dampen the "deep south" bugs from flying. Maybe the density altitude is
too low *big smile* and they don't have the strength to fly in thicker air.

Allen
Old October 16th 05, 10:05 PM
kgruber

The "Bounce" had nothing to do with it. Plain old water, and enough time
melts bugs.

Karl

"A Lieberman" wrote in message
We get a ton of "love bugs" down here in my part of the world. I don't
know the scientific name for these things, but they sure do make a mess of
anything in their flight path.

A co-worker of mine said that Bounce dryer sheets will help you clean the
bugs. I figured, nothing to lose, if it's safe to be used on my clothes
that is next to my skin, then surely it should be safe on paint.

Soooo...., not that trusting, I tried it on my truck and sure enough,
after
wetting the grill of my truck, took a bounce fabric sheet, and the bugs
just melted away. Very little elbow grease needed. Waited a week to see
if I could see anything harmful, and nothing short term anyway I could see
wrong.

With that out of the way, I figured to go to the airport today, wash and
wax my plane. Bought a box of bounce dryer sheets, figuring I would need
lot of sheets to clean the leading edges, and it turned out, I only needed
one for each wing, and one for the elevator. The bugs really just melted
away. It worked much easier then pledge for me.

I ended up saturating the plane with water, used Dawn hand washing soap to
cut the grease and a soft mop head to initially clean the surfaces and
then
use the dryer sheets to get any tough spots. It's amazing how much soapy
stuff comes out of those dryer sheets.

7 1/2 hours later, I got a sparkling clean Sundowner just in time for my
annual beginning Monday.

There sure is a lot of sheet metal on a plane!

Allen

Old October 17th 05, 03:07 AM
Darrel Toepfer

Dan Luke wrote:

In Mobile the first frost may not happen until December, but the bug
count goes way down in October.

The love bugs are gone now. They're a 3-week, spring and fall
phenomenon; worse in the fall.

Dual hurricanes seem to have eliminated the "stinkbugs" for the most
part this year, they usually come out during the soybean harvest. Having
a military C130 spraying for mosquitos at treetop level was pretty k3wl
too. Still have the lovebugs around though...
Old October 17th 05, 04:08 PM
TripFarmer

Default "Bounce" those bugs away...2 beers will do it!

I heard that 2 beers will get rid of the bugs. Now, I dono't drink the stuff
but I was intregued as to how 2 beers coudl cut the bugs. Here's how......
wet the leading edges, sit down and drink 2 beers, then wipe the bugs off. )

It seems the bugs just need to be "rehydrated" and they will wipe right off. I
usually wet the leading edges as soon as I get to the plane. That gives
enough time for them to rehydrate. This works well on the windows, also.

Trip

In article , says...

We get a ton of "love bugs" down here in my part of the world. I don't
know the scientific name for these things, but they sure do make a mess of
anything in their flight path.

A co-worker of mine said that Bounce dryer sheets will help you clean the
bugs. I figured, nothing to lose, if it's safe to be used on my clothes
that is next to my skin, then surely it should be safe on paint.

Soooo...., not that trusting, I tried it on my truck and sure enough, after
wetting the grill of my truck, took a bounce fabric sheet, and the bugs
just melted away. Very little elbow grease needed. Waited a week to see
if I could see anything harmful, and nothing short term anyway I could see
wrong.

With that out of the way, I figured to go to the airport today, wash and
wax my plane. Bought a box of bounce dryer sheets, figuring I would need a

Old October 17th 05, 04:15 PM
Matt Barrow

"TripFarmer" wrote in message
I heard that 2 beers will get rid of the bugs. Now, I dono't drink the
stuff
but I was intregued as to how 2 beers coudl cut the bugs. Here's
how......
wet the leading edges, sit down and drink 2 beers, then wipe the bugs off.
)

If the bugs still adhere to the airframe, drink two more beers...

Old October 17th 05, 05:18 PM
Darrel Toepfer

Matt Barrow wrote:

If the bugs still adhere to the airframe, drink two more beers...

After 4 its, "Why am I here? Oh yeah to fly that jet over there to
Atlanta"...