WEHT Virtual reality headgear?

Old August 29th 03, 05:20 PM
Dave Labatt

Default WEHT Virtual reality headgear?

Remember this was the big trend in the early 90's? I remember going to Vegas
and seeing a huge line of people waiting to play the original Wolfenstein
using a head gear. It sucked by the way. But there were tons of demos where
they said this was the next big gaming trend. You'd think by now they'd have
something really impressive.

Old August 29th 03, 05:39 PM
Edward Tang

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 16:20:36 GMT, "Dave Labatt"
wrote:

Remember this was the big trend in the early 90's? I remember going to Vegas
and seeing a huge line of people waiting to play the original Wolfenstein
using a head gear. It sucked by the way. But there were tons of demos where
they said this was the next big gaming trend. You'd think by now they'd have
something really impressive.

There's still research being done on those things on the academic side
(I worked with a few implementations), but they still, uh, suck.

- Ed
Old August 31st 03, 12:00 AM
Michael Mendelsohn

Dave Labatt schrieb:
Remember this was the big trend in the early 90's? [..]
But there were tons of demos where
they said this was the next big gaming trend. You'd think by now they'd have
something really impressive.

Some video drivers (e.g. nVidia's) come with support for LCD
shutterglasses built-in that works with pretty much any directX game to
give you a stereoscopic (= full-depth ) image. If you've never tried it,
you'll be surprised at how much better most of your 3D games look!

IMO, the problem is, as long as the market share of these
technologically simple things is low, there won't be a push toward
affordable VR headgear either.

For lots more information on stereoscopic viewing including HMDs
(Head-Mounted Displays), visit http://www.stereo3d.com .

-mendel
Old August 31st 03, 04:06 AM
e f

Michael Mendelsohn wrote in message ...
Some video drivers (e.g. nVidia's) come with support for LCD
shutterglasses built-in that works with pretty much any directX game to
give you a stereoscopic (= full-depth ) image. If you've never tried it,
you'll be surprised at how much better most of your 3D games look!

IMO, the problem is, as long as the market share of these
technologically simple things is low, there won't be a push toward
affordable VR headgear either.

For lots more information on stereoscopic viewing including HMDs
(Head-Mounted Displays), visit http://www.stereo3d.com .

-mendel

And then, you have folks like me who have very poor or nonexistant
stereoscopic vision. I just hope when they make these new "no glasess
3D screens", it doesn't ruin it for those of us who don't see depth
well.

Some of those shutter glasess also make text hard to read, I have
heard.

I think I'd settle for a 21-22 inch OLED monitor I could tape to my
wall in front of my desk. Slap on a pair of headphones, maybe get a
rumble transducer for the desk or chair, and that would be virtual
reality enough for me. Oh, and please make the game fun, too. No
Tresspasser, please.
Old August 31st 03, 11:10 AM
Michael Mendelsohn

e f schrieb:
Michael Mendelsohn wrote in message ...
For lots more information on stereoscopic viewing including HMDs
(Head-Mounted Displays), visit http://www.stereo3d.com .

And then, you have folks like me who have very poor or nonexistant
stereoscopic vision.

On the computer, you can do more to tweak the stereo properties of the
game world than you with the real world.

Some of those shutter glasess also make text hard to read, I have
heard.

That seems implausible to me, as shutterglasses use the full resolution
of your monitor and I've NEVER had problems with text. If you have
problems with ghosting, you could probably adjust the driver so that the
text plane coincides with the monitor pane, i.e. the left eye view and
the right eye view project the text onto the same spot on the screen.
(You could read it even without shutterglasses then).

On the other hand, most consumer VR headgear uses something close to VGA
resolution, and that of course could mean that text is hard to read.

You cannot use LCD displays with shutterglasses because they can't
switch the picture fast enough.

-mendel
Old August 31st 03, 04:55 PM
e f

Michael Mendelsohn wrote in message ...

And then, you have folks like me who have very poor or nonexistant
stereoscopic vision.

On the computer, you can do more to tweak the stereo properties of the
game world than you with the real world.

Yeah, but if you have weak or nonexistant depth perception in the
real world, a pair of 3D computer glasses really won't change that.

Just all you biopic folks have fun with your glasses and don't screw
it up for me.
Old August 31st 03, 11:36 PM
Michael Mendelsohn

e f schrieb:
Yeah, but if you have weak or nonexistant depth perception in the
real world, a pair of 3D computer glasses really won't change that.

You won't know until you've tried.
My wife said the same about herself (i.e. had it attested by a doctor),
and she
a) can see with LCD shutterglasses and
b) even managed to see "Magic Eye" random dot stereograms.

Btw, if you use a stereoscopic display, you'll see what you usually see
- a worldview with weak depth perception. You're not disadvantaged more
than you usually are. I expect that would go for the "no glasses" LCD
screens as well.

Cheers
mendel
Old September 1st 03, 01:24 AM
SDB

I've used my eDimensional 3D glasses for a few months now, and find them
pretty good for some outdoor games (eg driving sims), where the contrast is
low enough that the ghosting is ignorable, but I'd never use them for
something like Unreal2 where the contrast is often quite high. Even running
an XP2500 & FX5900, I can forget about resolutions above 1024 and AA/AF if I
want a good frame rate.

I do like the 3D effect though, especially with the monitor up close to make
it more immersive, and I'm hoping to see an OLED-based head-mounted display
in the near future that I can use with an IRTracker setup. Anyone out there
designing one?

Old September 1st 03, 03:09 AM
e f

Michael Mendelsohn wrote in message ...

Btw, if you use a stereoscopic display, you'll see what you usually see
- a worldview with weak depth perception. You're not disadvantaged more
than you usually are. I expect that would go for the "no glasses" LCD
screens as well.

Cheers
mendel

Yeah, but if using these new "no glasses" 3D displays is anything
like watching a 3D movie without glasess, I will pass on them.

I do have some depth perception, but it takes a certain degree of
concentration for me to use it reliably. So most of the time I don't.
I can see things like a Viewmaster after some concentration, but
I've never got a magic eye picture to work. 3D movies are hit or
miss. Sometimes I see 3D, and other times I just see wierd colors or
double images.

One project that looked interesting was using a fresnel lense to
create collumated light on a monitor. Supossedly it makes objects
look like they are farther away (because the eyes don't have to focus
at all), but not in the traditional "3D stereoscopic" method. Of
course, I imagine using a very large monitor and a long viewing
distance would have the same effect.
Old September 1st 03, 08:52 AM
Michael Mendelsohn

e f schrieb:
Michael Mendelsohn wrote:
Btw, if you use a stereoscopic display, you'll see what you usually see
- a worldview with weak depth perception. You're not disadvantaged more
than you usually are. I expect that would go for the "no glasses" LCD
screens as well.

Yeah, but if using these new "no glasses" 3D displays is anything
like watching a 3D movie without glasess, I will pass on them.

Ah, but when you do the latter, you get both views in the same eye
- the glasses are supposed to separate them. A "no glasses" LCD display
should separate the views equally well, i.e. if you're using any stereo
technology correctly, each eye only sees one picture with as little
"crosstalk" from the other eye's picture as possible. This hinges
entirely on the stereo technology and not on the viewer's eyes.

miss. Sometimes I see 3D, and other times I just see wierd colors or
double images.

Which is why I said with a stereo driver for your PC, you can adjust the
virtual distance of your eyes and the angles, making the stereo effect
more pronounced (or less!).

One project that looked interesting was using a fresnel lense to
create collumated light on a monitor. Supossedly it makes objects
look like they are farther away (because the eyes don't have to focus
at all), but not in the traditional "3D stereoscopic" method.

Indeed, that looks interesting.

Cheers
mendel