$340 Million Powerball

Old October 19th 05, 04:24 PM
revdmv

Default $340 Million Powerball

let's see my old favorite is 2,3,5,23,32 and 9

Old October 19th 05, 04:29 PM
Jose

My number is three. That's the number of planes in our club. There's
also a well known airplane with that number and my initial.

Jose
Old October 19th 05, 04:35 PM
Jim Burns

Ok Ok... try these
3 - J3 Cub, trainer of thousands or the number of airplanes every pilot
really needs.
51 - P51 Mustang
38 - P38 in honor of Glacier Girl
28 - PA28 in honor of the Cherokees
17 - B17 in honor of the few remaining and for those that were lost

18 - Powerball for the age we wish we were again.

Don't blame me if they don't win, I win every year. I never buy a ticket
and they still give me a lottery credit on my real estate taxes.

Jim

"Montblack" wrote in message

Numbers please. I'm buying the Groups' (3) tickets in 9 hours.

Montblack

Old October 19th 05, 04:58 PM
Stubby

RST Engineering wrote:
5 numbers -- 12 17 03 (Wright's first flight) 07 06 (Next Oshkosh)

Powerball -- ?? (Jay, help me here) (Number of rooms in Jay's hotel.)

Then again, people who bet on the lottery are the C students in my
Probability and Statistics class {;-)

Can any of your students expound on the difference between having zero
lottery tickets and having one?
Old October 19th 05, 05:10 PM

In rec.aviation.owning revdmv wrote:
let's see my old favorite is 2,3,5,23,32 and 9

Probabality.... simple.... same as anything else you pick:
1,2,3,4,5,6

Odds of being struck by lightening in your lifetime: 1:3000
http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/...htning_rec.htm

It is common for people to refer to the chance of being struck by
lightning as an improbable or unlikely event. Yet actual statistics
say otherwise. Lightning strikes the ground approximately 25 million
times each year in the United States (Orville and Huffines, 2001).
Most people greatly underestimate the probability of being involved in
a lightning strike. According to the National Weather Service, the
chance of an individual in the United States being killed or inured
during a given year is one in 240,000. Assuming an average life span
of 80 years, a person's odds over their lifetime becomes one in 3000.

Odds of winning a BIG lottery: 1:308,000,000

From my perspective, I'll purchase a lottery ticket the day after I
(survive) and am struck by lightening 308,000,000 / 3000 = 102666.66
times!

From my perspective, the lottery is just a "stupid tax" that I am
not required to pay. However, many others do... "Hi, I'd like to
pay $100 of stupid tax today". Instead of reading and investing.
May I suggest that if you got this far thru my posting that you
consider reading"
"Rich Dad, Poor Dad",
"The Millionaire Next Door", and
"Inc, and Grow Rich".

Yes, it DOES take work... but it takes work to earn the $ just to give
it away to a lottery. However, in investing/saving, your money works
FOR you, instead of paying even more "taxes" in the "hope" (against
ALL experience and probability) of growing ricy.

Now, if you are "gaming" and not "gambling", and playing the lottery
is "entertainment", have fun at it and enjoy it!

Best regards,

Jer/ "Flight instruction and mountain flying are my vocation!" Eberhard

--
Jer/ (Slash) Eberhard, Mountain Flying Aviation, LTD, Ft Collins, CO
CELL 970 231-6325 EMAIL jer'at'frii.com WEB http://users.frii.com/jer/
Old October 19th 05, 05:11 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"Stubby" wrote in message
RST Engineering wrote:
5 numbers -- 12 17 03 (Wright's first flight) 07 06 (Next Oshkosh)

Powerball -- ?? (Jay, help me here) (Number of rooms in Jay's hotel.)

Then again, people who bet on the lottery are the C students in my
Probability and Statistics class {;-)

Can any of your students expound on the difference between having zero
lottery tickets and having one?

You mean they get a C? Talk about grade inflation.

Old October 19th 05, 06:13 PM
Jose

Odds of winning a BIG lottery: 1:308,000,000

Wrong.

Odds of winning a BIG lottery if you purchase one ticket in your
lifetime: 1:308,000,000

Assuming a lifespan of 80 years, purchasing one ticket every day, the
odds of winning go up to something like 1:10,000. Now that's not so
bad, is it?

Jose
Old October 19th 05, 08:18 PM
David Dyer-Bennet

Jose writes:

Odds of winning a BIG lottery: 1:308,000,000

Wrong.

Odds of winning a BIG lottery if you purchase one ticket in your
lifetime: 1:308,000,000

Thought one ticket was 1:80,000,000; but their site says that as of
6-April it's 1:146,100,000 (and it wasn't what I said even before
that). They apparently added two more white ball numbers, so now
there are 55 white balls. 5 are drawn, so the odds of drawing any
given set of numbers should be 55-Choose-5 * 42, or 3,478,761 * 42,
or...hey, I got the same number they did! 146.1e6 ("55-Choose-5"
being my text representation of the big-C notation used in math for
combinations.)

Or is this more to the tune of "87.5% of all statistics are made up on
the spot"?

(Note that for figuring *financial* odds, you have to somehow include
the odds of multiple people holding the winning number, hence
splitting the jackpot. Especially on these mega-jackpots, that's
quite likely.)
Old October 19th 05, 08:20 PM
David Dyer-Bennet

Stubby writes:

RST Engineering wrote:
5 numbers -- 12 17 03 (Wright's first flight) 07 06 (Next Oshkosh)
Powerball -- ?? (Jay, help me here) (Number of rooms in Jay's hotel.)
Then again, people who bet on the lottery are the C students in my
Probability and Statistics class {;-)

Can any of your students expound on the difference between having zero
lottery tickets and having one?

I've suspected for years that the odds of being mailed the big check
by mistake were about the same as the odds of winning. :-)

But on closer examination I'm forced to conclude it's just not true;
there have been *lots* of winners since Powerball started, but I don't
know of a single instance of anybody being mailed the check by mistake
(at least who got to *keep* it). Oh well.
Old October 19th 05, 08:21 PM
Andrew Gideon

John Theune wrote:

And lightning hit's the ground somewhere

Not every bolt of lightening reaches the ground, if that's what you're
meaning.

- Andrew