AUTOPILOT PROS & CONS

Old May 5th 06, 04:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default AUTOPILOT PROS & CONS

I got my IFR rating 7 months ago. I use the KAP140 autopilot a lot. From
climb-out to MDA/DA. I find it really helps in my management of the plane
and the IFR flight. I am interested in comments regarding the pros and cons
of a heavy use/reliance on the autopilot.

Old May 5th 06, 05:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

I got my IFR rating 7 months ago. I use the KAP140 autopilot a lot. From
climb-out to MDA/DA. I find it really helps in my management of the plane
and the IFR flight. I am interested in comments regarding the pros and cons
of a heavy use/reliance on the autopilot.

I never use it. I don't feel like I'm flying if I don't have my hand on
the yoke. I don't fly IFR enough that I want to risk losing the
proficiency I have, and although it has been said that one is safer with
the autopilot on, I believe one =becomes= less safe relying on it.

Jose
--
The price of freedom is... well... freedom.
Old May 5th 06, 05:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

An autopilot is very useful as long as it is used properly.
In VMC, use the autopilot to fly the departure, allowing you
more time to scan for traffic. This is very important in
night VMC. Use the autopilot at cruise to let you rest and
while checking on weather. Use the autopilot for some of
your approaches so you are proficient in the management of
the system. But hand fly enough so you are 100% proficient
because the autopilot can fail.

If you had a live copilot, you would share legs, treat the
A/P the same, use it as an aid not a crutch. Be sure to
read the entire POH supplement and know all the limitations
and failure modes.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

Old May 5th 06, 10:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Stickmonke,

I am interested in comments regarding the pros and cons
of a heavy use/reliance on the autopilot.

As one data point: In Germany, single pilot IFR flying requires the
aircraft to have at least a two-axis autopilot (that is, including
altitude hold).

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old May 5th 06, 10:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

STICKMONKE wrote:
I got my IFR rating 7 months ago. I use the KAP140 autopilot a lot. From
climb-out to MDA/DA. I find it really helps in my management of the plane
and the IFR flight. I am interested in comments regarding the pros and cons
of a heavy use/reliance on the autopilot.

I have always used an autopilot if it's available for cruise flight only. I
hand fly all climb outs and approaches. As a matter of fact, since nothing I
have access to these days has an autopilot, I hand fly the entire flight. G

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old May 5th 06, 10:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

STICKMONKE wrote:

I got my IFR rating 7 months ago. I use the KAP140 autopilot a lot. From
climb-out to MDA/DA. I find it really helps in my management of the plane
and the IFR flight. I am interested in comments regarding the pros and cons
of a heavy use/reliance on the autopilot.

With a panel mount IFR GPS, you can easily fail to do a traffic watch or
perhaps properly control the airplane when not using an autopilot.
Old May 5th 06, 01:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

In article ,
Thomas Borchert wrote:

As one data point: In Germany, single pilot IFR flying requires the
aircraft to have at least a two-axis autopilot (that is, including
altitude hold).

But is the pilot required to use it? :-)

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old May 5th 06, 01:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Bob,

But is the pilot required to use it? :-)

Well, if you don't, "ve haf wais off makink yu!" ;-)

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old May 5th 06, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in message
STICKMONKE wrote:
I got my IFR rating 7 months ago. I use the KAP140 autopilot a lot. From
climb-out to MDA/DA. I find it really helps in my management of the plane
and the IFR flight. I am interested in comments regarding the pros and
cons
of a heavy use/reliance on the autopilot.

I have always used an autopilot if it's available for cruise flight only.
I hand fly all climb outs and approaches. As a matter of fact, since
nothing I have access to these days has an autopilot, I hand fly the
entire flight. G

Cessna and most other "heavy metal" manufacturers, as well as such
publications as "Professional Pilot" recommend use of the autopilot
immediately after takeoff to enhance scanning for traffic. Since the
overwhelming majority of mid-air's occur in the airport area and during
climb out and descent, that makes good sense.

Old May 5th 06, 01:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Sam Spade" wrote in message

With a panel mount IFR GPS, you can easily fail to do a traffic watch or
perhaps properly control the airplane when not using an autopilot.

Why would a panel mount GPS make much difference, compared to a hand held,
or VOR/airways vector?