AUTOPILOT PROS & CONS

Old May 5th 06, 01:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default AUTOPILOT PROS & CONS

"STICKMONKE" wrote in message
I got my IFR rating 7 months ago. I use the KAP140 autopilot a lot. From
climb-out to MDA/DA. I find it really helps in my management of the plane
and the IFR flight. I am interested in comments regarding the pros and cons
of a heavy use/reliance on the autopilot.

Just like the cruise control on your car, there's times to use and times not
to. For departure, it's highly recommended to enhance your concentration on
the traffic scan. Same for approaches. OTOH, don't forget how to handle
things when the AP goes tits up. At least you don't have the King
AP/FD-150...a POS.

Remember, too, that people have fallen asleep with the cruise on their cars
(and at cruise with the AP...been there, done that one :~( ).

On departure, use airspeed hold, rather than Rate of Climb if the 140 has
it. If not, monitor your AS/ROC.

Old May 5th 06, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

In article ,
"STICKMONKE" wrote:

I got my IFR rating 7 months ago. I use the KAP140 autopilot a lot. From
climb-out to MDA/DA. I find it really helps in my management of the plane
and the IFR flight. I am interested in comments regarding the pros and cons
of a heavy use/reliance on the autopilot.

The only real con of the autopilot is that it's too easy to become
dependent on it and let your hand-flying skills degrade to the point there
you're in trouble if George quits. Turn it off every once in a while and
hand-fly to stay in shape.

Don't just click on the A/P and zone out. Take advantage of the workload
reduction it gives you to stay further ahead of the airplane. Pull out
those approach charts earlier and brief the approaches you might end up
doing. Get on the radio and talk to Flight Watch to find out what the
weather is up ahead. Update your flight planning to make sure that
re-route ATC gave you didn't eat into your fuel budget too much.

And, above all, keep up your instrument scan! If George wigs out and puts
you into an unusual attitude, you've still got to recognize it and recover.
Old May 5th 06, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Matt Barrow wrote:
"Sam Spade" wrote in message

With a panel mount IFR GPS, you can easily fail to do a traffic watch or
perhaps properly control the airplane when not using an autopilot.

Why would a panel mount GPS make much difference, compared to a hand held,
or VOR/airways vector?

I was referring to IFR operations with IFR equipment. A panel mount is
much more difficult to operate than a FMS/LNAV platform.

"VOR/Airways vector?" I am not sure I understand your question. Is it
one question or two?

Setting up a VOR airway is a much simpler task than programing an airway
on a non-airway-database panel mount. Once everything is set up and
underway there is little difference in the task of VOR or panel-mount
GPS navigation. But, everytime something significant has to be changed,
it requires more concentration and cross-check to program the panel
mount than a VOR set.

Vectors are vectors.
Old May 5th 06, 04:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Sam Spade" wrote in message
Matt Barrow wrote:
"Sam Spade" wrote in message

With a panel mount IFR GPS, you can easily fail to do a traffic watch or
perhaps properly control the airplane when not using an autopilot.

Why would a panel mount GPS make much difference, compared to a hand
held, or VOR/airways vector?

I was referring to IFR operations with IFR equipment. A panel mount is
much more difficult to operate than a FMS/LNAV platform.

Okay, that makes sense (for someone not well versed in the GPS's operation).

"VOR/Airways vector?" I am not sure I understand your question. Is it
one question or two?

Two (either/or)

Setting up a VOR airway is a much simpler task than programing an airway
on a non-airway-database panel mount. Once everything is set up and
underway there is little difference in the task of VOR or panel-mount GPS
navigation. But, everytime something significant has to be changed, it
requires more concentration and cross-check to program the panel mount
than a VOR set.

Vectors are vectors.

Sam, you're one of the most knowledgable people in here, but your
communications (writing) leaves much to be desired by those of us that don't
read minds (intentions, contexts).

Old May 5th 06, 06:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

They sure are nice on a long trip. I always fly my climbouts and
approaches by hand though. Don't get rusty at hand flying, whatever you
do. And learn your autopilot failure modes...

Old May 5th 06, 07:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Matt Barrow wrote:

[...]

How have I failed to communicate?
Old May 5th 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Sam Spade" wrote in message
Matt Barrow wrote:
Sam, you're one of the most knowledgable people in here, but your
communications (writing) leaves much to be desired by those of us that
don't read minds (intentions, contexts).

How have I failed to communicate?

Notice how many people are completely confounded by what you write.

You have to write to _the audience_, not to yourself.

Old May 5th 06, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

The biggest "con" I've observed is that it sometimes gives the
passengers the impression that you're not working hard enough.

I actually had a passenger say to me, "What am I paying you all this
money for? This is easy, you're just pressing buttons! I could do
that myself!"

Old May 5th 06, 07:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On 05/05/06 11:18, Brien K. Meehan wrote:
The biggest "con" I've observed is that it sometimes gives the
passengers the impression that you're not working hard enough.

I actually had a passenger say to me, "What am I paying you all this
money for? This is easy, you're just pressing buttons! I could do
that myself!"

Well, it's the old TV repair mantra:

Turning one screw: $ 0.05
Knowing which screw to turn: $ 99.95