Instrument Student Pilot Filing IFR

Old November 28th 06, 12:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Roy N5804F

Default Instrument Student Pilot Filing IFR

Is it legal for a non-instrument rated pilot to file IFR in his own name in
order to undergo instrument training while accompanied by his CFII ?
In other words.
Who should file IFR for a training instrument flight ? The student or the
CFII ?

Thanks for input

--
Roy
Piper Archer N5804F

Old November 28th 06, 12:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Roy Smith

In article et,
"Roy N5804F" wrote:

Is it legal for a non-instrument rated pilot to file IFR in his own name in
order to undergo instrument training while accompanied by his CFII ?
In other words.
Who should file IFR for a training instrument flight ? The student or the
CFII ?

Thanks for input

If you are not instrument rated, current, etc, it's not legal for you to
act as PIC under IFR. You can file the flight plan (i.e. type it into
DUATS, dictate it to FSS on the phone, etc) but put your instructor's name
down in the PIC box.
Old November 28th 06, 12:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Natalie

Roy N5804F wrote:

Is it legal for a non-instrument rated pilot to file IFR in his own name in
order to undergo instrument training while accompanied by his CFII ?
In other words.
Who should file IFR for a training instrument flight ? The student or the
CFII ?

Thanks for input

There is no prohibition on who can file. The ONLY issue is that the
flight plan MUST bear the name (by regulation) of the pilot in command
which can't be the student. This gets sticky on DUAT (at least the
GTE one) because they always insert the registered user's name in
the PIC field.

I filed my instructor's name via FSS when I was doing my training.
Old November 28th 06, 01:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

Make sure that the CFII knows you are filing flight plans
with his name. It is the customary practice, but just be
sure that the actual filing and plan is seen by the CFII/PIC
before you file.

m...

Old November 28th 06, 02:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Natalie

Jim Macklin wrote:
Make sure that the CFII knows you are filing flight plans
with his name. It is the customary practice, but just be
sure that the actual filing and plan is seen by the CFII/PIC
before you file.

Yes, this was done with the concurrence of the instructor.
Old November 28th 06, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mark Hansen

On 11/28/2006 04:47 AM, Roy Smith wrote:
In article et,
"Roy N5804F" wrote:

Is it legal for a non-instrument rated pilot to file IFR in his own name in
order to undergo instrument training while accompanied by his CFII ?
In other words.
Who should file IFR for a training instrument flight ? The student or the
CFII ?

Thanks for input

If you are not instrument rated, current, etc, it's not legal for you to
act as PIC under IFR. You can file the flight plan (i.e. type it into
DUATS, dictate it to FSS on the phone, etc) but put your instructor's name
down in the PIC box.

That's interesting. During my training, I filed the IFR flight plans (based
on my CFII's direction) and used my name. I did always put "Instrument
Training Flight" in the Remarks box, but this isn't the same thing.

I guess that's another thing my instructor didn't really understand ;-(

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA
Old November 28th 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Mark Hansen wrote:
That's interesting. During my training, I filed the IFR flight plans (based
on my CFII's direction) and used my name. I did always put "Instrument
Training Flight" in the Remarks box, but this isn't the same thing.

I did the same except I didn't bother with the remark. Nothing was ever said
that I did it incorrectly or illegally. I suspect the FAA figured out the
nature of the flight which had numerous approaches but only one landing.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old November 28th 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Andrew Sarangan[_1_]

Technically the name on the flight plan must be that of the PIC, which
in this case is the CFII. However, I doubt that anyone would care whose
name is on the flight plan as long as there is a qualified PIC in the
cockpit. Just the same as ATC does not care what you use for navigation
as long as you fly your clearance. The only time a question would arise
is in case of an accident or emergency. In those cases it would not
matter whose name was on the flight plan. The presumed PIC will be at
fault. In the case of a dual flight, the CFI is the presumed PIC even
if he was not actively instructing.

Old November 28th 06, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Roy N5804F

Well thanks to all for the input so far.
The consensus seems to be that an instrument student cannot file an IFR plan
in his own name.
The basis of that opinion seems to hinge on who is PIC.
I am not sure, but I think that electronic filing via AOPA flight planner
would not give you any opportunity to use other than your own name ?
So maybe all filing would have to be done via the telephone or radio.

Roy

ups.com...

Old November 28th 06, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Dave Butler[_1_]

Roy N5804F wrote:

The consensus seems to be that an instrument student cannot file an IFR plan
in his own name.

Let's be precise. The instrument student may file all the flight plans
he cares to. He just can't accept a clearance.