Autopilot use during approach

Old April 13th 07, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mxsmanic

Default Autopilot use during approach

Rip writes:

That is a patently false and dangerous statement.

Explain the error(s).

Old April 13th 07, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Natalie

Mxsmanic wrote:

Anything you can legally fly by hand can also be flown by the autopilot, since
you remain in command and can take over at any time; using autopilot is like
using trim in that case.

Untrue. Autopilot installations are one of the more rigorously handled
aircraft modifications. There will certainly be LEGALLY BINDING
operating limitations that apply to the use of the autopilot.
There are quite good reasons for these restrictions by the way

The fact that you have never seen a legal AFM and it's supplements
is again demonstrating that you have no business telling real pilots
what is safe OR legal.
Old April 13th 07, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mxsmanic

Ron Natalie writes:

Untrue. Autopilot installations are one of the more rigorously handled
aircraft modifications. There will certainly be LEGALLY BINDING
operating limitations that apply to the use of the autopilot.

Yes, but they aren't in the FARs. In general, as long as you do not rely on
the autopilot to do something you cannot do by hand, you're fine.

Old April 13th 07, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ray Andraka

Mxsmanic wrote:
Ron Natalie writes:

Untrue. Autopilot installations are one of the more rigorously handled
aircraft modifications. There will certainly be LEGALLY BINDING
operating limitations that apply to the use of the autopilot.

Yes, but they aren't in the FARs. In general, as long as you do not rely on
the autopilot to do something you cannot do by hand, you're fine.

WRONG!

If your POH supplement for the autopilot has operating limitations, it
isn't legal to use contrary to those limitations. Mine doesn't allow
use of the autopilot with the landing lights on, for example. You won't
find these anywhere in the AIM or FARs, but they are just as binding as
one of the regulations. You also potentially have more at stake by
ignoring an operation limitation than you do by breaking a FAR.

Then again, if you are only flying a simulator then I suppose the
operating limitations don't apply. After all, the worst thing that
could happen is you'd have to push the reset button.
Old April 13th 07, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Natalie

Ray Andraka wrote:

If your POH supplement for the autopilot has operating limitations, it
isn't legal to use contrary to those limitations. Mine doesn't allow
use of the autopilot with the landing lights on, for example. You won't
find these anywhere in the AIM or FARs, but they are just as binding as
one of the regulations.

But it is one of the regulations...91.9 causes anything that's in
the flight manual limitations to have the force of regulation.

I've pointed this out to McMuffin before but he refuses to learn.

Old April 13th 07, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Thomas Borchert

Ron,

I've pointed this out to McMuffin before but he refuses to learn.

That's not what he intends to do here, so why are you surprised?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old April 14th 07, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mxsmanic

Ray Andraka writes:

If your POH supplement for the autopilot has operating limitations, it
isn't legal to use contrary to those limitations.

This does not conflict with "in general," and "they aren't in the FARs.

Old April 14th 07, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mxsmanic

Ron Natalie writes:

But it is one of the regulations...91.9 causes anything that's in
the flight manual limitations to have the force of regulation.

And if there's no limitation in the flight manual, that doesn't matter.

Old April 14th 07, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mxsmanic

kevmor writes:

I'm curious, why don't they let you use it with the landing lights?

Maybe it's just a way of avoiding liability.

Old April 14th 07, 02:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Rosenfeld

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 18:13:38 +0200, Thomas Borchert
wrote:

Ron,

But
it's not unusual for it to get 1/2 to 3/4 scale off course.

I know. A friend of mine has similar issues in a BN-2.

And here I thought all those big planes had decent autopilots!

Years ago, a few years after installation, I called STEC and they thought
that increasing the sensitivity of the autopilot might help. They gave
instructions on changing a resistor, and that helped a bit, but I still
wouldn't trust it in other than smooth weather.

Autopilot [email protected] Piloting 40 January 5th 06 09:12 PM
KAP 140 autopilot approach Yossarian Instrument Flight Rules 2 October 12th 05 03:10 PM
IMC without an autopilot Jon Kraus Instrument Flight Rules 101 April 18th 04 07:17 PM
Completing the Non-precision approach as a Visual Approach John Clonts Instrument Flight Rules 45 November 20th 03 05:20 AM
Autopilot Hankal Owning 1 November 10th 03 02:21 AM