A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

CG hook on aero tows??

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 4th 04, 11:53 PM
Ted Wagner
external usenet poster

Default CG hook on aero tows??

A few seconds into take-off roll today in a Pilatus B-4, while applying left stick to correct for a dipping right wing, the right wing suddenly dipped all the way into the ground. The glider lurched to the right, and a second or two later popped up into the air, a good 20 feet up and 30 or more feet out to the side. By that time I had full left rudder in addition to full left aileron, so the glider recovered rather quickly, and I was able to bring it to normal take-off position right about the time the tow plane started to climb. I was amazed he had maintained his heading directly down the runway. The winds were light and variable. It was my ninth flight on the B-4.

After landing, the tow pilot apologized, saying it was his fault -- something about the wake turbulence. But I'm still puzzled about what, if anything, he did wrong; it looked like a completely normally take-off roll to me.

I had thought that maybe a sudden tail wind had reversed the effective correction of my aileron deflection during take-off, causing the right wing to dip harder instead of leveling off. Does this make sense to anyone with more experience on an aircraft like the B-4?

Also, I'm curious to know how much the CG hook location on the B-4 contributed to the squirrelly sequence of events after the right wingtip hit the ground. How many 15+ meter gliders have CG-only hooks? Are such exciting events more commonplace with CG hooks?

Other than the wobbly tows, I'm loving the B-4, it's the first 15-meter single-seater ship I've flown, and the first with retractable gear...

~tw