Someone left a mess at CGX !

Old December 3rd 05, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Someone left a mess at CGX !

"Yes, I do want a park at Meigs Field," Daley said.
But there are questions about whether that's financially feasible.
CBS 2 poured through thousands of pages of city and state documents
obtained through the Freedom of Information Act. They detail the
history of pollution at the site.
We showed them to experts, including a Naperville lawyer experienced in
environmental law.
"Airports are notorious for all kinds of petroleum products being
dumped there. So you've got very, very, very dirty soil. It really is a
toxic waste dump," said environmental lawyer Shawn Collins.

A map prepared by the city's own environmental consultant shows where
soil tests found toxins called polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons or
PNAs at levels that exceed Environmental Protection Agency acceptable
standards.
"These are known and suspected to cause cancer in humans," said Wilma
Subra, a nationally recognized environmental scientist, who has served
on EPA advisory committees.
"They're very, very deep, and it's very toxic," Subra said.
The chemicals are the by-product of aircraft emissions, refueling
operations, and spills that occurred over 50 years, and they were found
up to 9 feet below ground.

A map from another city consultant's report shows where the park
district removed just 9 inches of contaminated soil. It was replaced
with a protective fabric and clean top soil.
Subra says the 9-inch solution was just a cover up.
"They know that everything below the 9 inches is contaminated and they
are not addressing that," she said.
And what's below those 9 inches is important because future plans for
Northerly Island may include wetlands, sand dunes, a wildlife preserve
and even a river dug through the property.
"What are you going to do with the environmental problems you now
unleash?" Collins said.

But that's not all. Behind this fence, there was a fuel spill from an
underground tank leak in 1993.
The state EPA later designated the leak as a "high priority" clean-up
project but didn't get Meigs to clean it up before the airport was shut
down.
"For an environmental leak from an underground storage tank to go
unremediated for 10 years is really a disgrace," Collins said. "The
environment is at stake. Human health may be at stake."
Subra said tests done by a city consultant showed that a toxic chemical
at one location was 300 times the acceptable limit.
After the park district inherited the problem, once again it covered
the former underground tank site with fabric, 9 inches of top soil and
fenced in the area.
"Just putting a fence around it and letting it seep and flow and be
discharged into the soil, the land and water is inappropriate," Subra
said.

The park district declined to go on camera, but its environmental
consultant says that "we are adequately protecting human health and the
environment with the barriers that are in place."
"Redevelopment will dictate how each of these areas of contamination
are managed," he said.
"It may be impossible to do financially," Subra said.
"We don't think it's overwhelming," Daley said.

CBS 2's Pam Zekman showed the mayor what the park district's own
consultants have found and their warning that additional clean up may
be needed.
"Oh yeah, anytime you open any land up you have to remediate. You have
to do testing. You have to do borings. And that will all be public
knowledge when we do it," Daley said.
"Why not do that before the airport was destroyed?" Zekman asked.

"Because the court would enjoin us and would enjoin you immediately,"
Daley said.

A court injunction could have delayed or stopped the project. For now,
the park district's consultant says monthly inspections must be done
to be sure the nine inch barrier is not penetrated."

GA Santa Strikes Again !, JG

Old December 3rd 05, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Yes, I do want a park at Meigs Field," Daley said.

"These are known and suspected to cause cancer in humans," said Wilma
Subra, a nationally recognized environmental scientist, who has served
on EPA advisory committees.
"They're very, very deep, and it's very toxic," Subra said.
The chemicals are the by-product of aircraft emissions, refueling
operations, and spills that occurred over 50 years, and they were found
up to 9 feet below ground.

Sounds like this Subra woman is a nut job. Even though I'm glad King
Daley is going to be the target of her wrath, I don't want the good
name of General Aviation -- already challenged on so many fronts -- to
be associated with these environmental wackos in any way.

"Aircraft emissions"? Please. What the hell is THAT? Maybe
0.0000000000001% of auto emissions?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 3rd 05, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay Honeck wrote:
"Yes, I do want a park at Meigs Field," Daley said.

"These are known and suspected to cause cancer in humans," said Wilma
Subra, a nationally recognized environmental scientist, who has served
on EPA advisory committees.
"They're very, very deep, and it's very toxic," Subra said.
The chemicals are the by-product of aircraft emissions, refueling
operations, and spills that occurred over 50 years, and they were found
up to 9 feet below ground.

Sounds like this Subra woman is a nut job. Even though I'm glad King
Daley is going to be the target of her wrath, I don't want the good
name of General Aviation -- already challenged on so many fronts -- to
be associated with these environmental wackos in any way.

"Aircraft emissions"? Please. What the hell is THAT? Maybe
0.0000000000001% of auto emissions?

All the tasty Non-catalytic converted NOx and SOx goodies. Plus plenty
of
Benzo-**** underground. All we want from GA Santa is a super-fund site.

JG

--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 4th 05, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Personally, I hope if GA gets a bad name over this, that Daley loses his
dream of a park and gets stuck with the cleanup fees, plus whatever the
FAA decides to stick him with.

That's the best case scenario. Worst case: Aviation gets another black
eye, and the FAA ends up being liable for "contamination" at every airport
in America. Imagine how happy that would make the environmental wackos?
Nothing like adding another 6,000 "superfund clean-up sites" to ensure their
future employment indefinitely...

I lived in Chicago until this year, and still consider myself fortunate to
have landed at CGX multiple times.

Me, too. I flew into Meigs on several occasions, and they were all
memorable. What a great airport! What a shame to lose it...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 4th 05, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article Aoskf.600081$_o.157508@attbi_s71,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

Worst case: Aviation gets another black
eye, and the FAA ends up being liable for "contamination" at every airport
in America.

I wouldn't think that a likely scenario since the FAA doesn't run/operate/own
any airports.

--
Bob Noel
New NHL? what a joke

Old December 4th 05, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Worst case: Aviation gets another black
eye, and the FAA ends up being liable for "contamination" at every
airport
in America.

I wouldn't think that a likely scenario since the FAA doesn't
run/operate/own
any airports.

I hope you're right, but.... The FAA is the over-arching, controlling
agency here.

EPA doesn't own any old, abandoned gas stations (with leaky underground
tanks), but they're responsible for cleaning them up, right?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 4th 05, 02:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article .com,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

"Yes, I do want a park at Meigs Field," Daley said.

"These are known and suspected to cause cancer in humans," said Wilma
Subra, a nationally recognized environmental scientist, who has served
on EPA advisory committees.
"They're very, very deep, and it's very toxic," Subra said.
The chemicals are the by-product of aircraft emissions, refueling
operations, and spills that occurred over 50 years, and they were found
up to 9 feet below ground.

Sounds like this Subra woman is a nut job. Even though I'm glad King
Daley is going to be the target of her wrath, I don't want the good
name of General Aviation -- already challenged on so many fronts -- to
be associated with these environmental wackos in any way.

Daley's wife is one of those eco-wackos. The Meigs park was her pet
project.

Why bother with cleanup? All of those dope-smoking rock fans going to
concerts there will ingest far more contaminants than is in the ground,
anyhow.

--
Remve "_" from email to reply to me personally.