rv7 & mazda rx7 motor,

Old December 23rd 03, 04:12 PM
jerry lopez

Default rv7 & mazda rx7 motor,

wondering if anyone has read the new sport pilot rules about experimental
a/c that shows if it would be possible to
govern a rv7 with a mazda wankel engine to get past the sport pilot rule
under the experimental rules for sport pilot.

I can't get a private being diabetic since I was 9 years old, but would love
to have a plane that has some upward
potential above the 135 mph for when someone else flys it.. any ideas on
this ?

Jerry..

Old December 23rd 03, 04:16 PM
Ron Natalie

"jerry lopez" wrote in message ...
wondering if anyone has read the new sport pilot rules about experimental
a/c that shows if it would be possible to
govern a rv7 with a mazda wankel engine to get past the sport pilot rule
under the experimental rules for sport pilot.

You mean taking the engine from an rv7 to some homebuilt? What are you
going to put it in that you think that it's going to be able to do better than 135?

I can't get a private being diabetic since I was 9 years old, but would love
to have a plane that has some upward

You do know that with sufficient hoop jumping it has been possible for type I
diabetics under good control to get a medical special issuance for some years
now.

Old December 29th 03, 09:07 PM
Charlie England

jerry lopez wrote:
wondering if anyone has read the new sport pilot rules about experimental
a/c that shows if it would be possible to
govern a rv7 with a mazda wankel engine to get past the sport pilot rule
under the experimental rules for sport pilot.

I can't get a private being diabetic since I was 9 years old, but would love
to have a plane that has some upward
potential above the 135 mph for when someone else flys it.. any ideas on
this ?

Jerry..

You might be able to pull it off with a *really* flat pitched prop in an
RV-9 if you get an accomodating inspector.

I think that both the -7's stall speed & top speed will bite you for
sport plane status.

Charlie
-7 in the oven, plans for Wankel power

Old December 30th 03, 01:28 PM
Scott Correa

jerry lopez wrote:
wondering if anyone has read the new sport pilot rules about

experimental
a/c that shows if it would be possible to
govern a rv7 with a mazda wankel engine to get past the sport pilot rule
under the experimental rules for sport pilot.

Why bother creating an underpowered airplane. Why don't you go and look at
a Rans S7.
Great 2 place. Unreal climb, lands slow great visability and still a decent
turn of speed.

Old December 31st 03, 05:16 AM
Ernesto Sanchez

"Scott Correa" wrote in message

jerry lopez wrote:
wondering if anyone has read the new sport pilot rules about

experimental
a/c that shows if it would be possible to
govern a rv7 with a mazda wankel engine to get past the sport pilot

rule
under the experimental rules for sport pilot.

Look at:
http://www.rotaryaviation.com/
http://conversionconcepts.com/index.html
http://eaa154.dhs.org/perry/other_13B/index.shtml
http://home.earthlink.net/~rotaryeng/ACRE.html

Old December 31st 03, 08:54 AM
PW

jerry lopez wrote:
wondering if anyone has read the new sport pilot rules about

experimental
a/c that shows if it would be possible to
govern a rv7 with a mazda wankel engine to get past the sport pilot

rule
under the experimental rules for sport pilot.

Look at:
http://www.rotaryaviation.com/
http://conversionconcepts.com/index.html
http://eaa154.dhs.org/perry/other_13B/index.shtml
http://home.earthlink.net/~rotaryeng/ACRE.html

This name sounds familar. Maybe from a newsfeed I get from P. ( I can't
help speeding in my new RX-8 ) Lamar.

Phil

Old December 31st 03, 12:52 PM
Lou Parker

jerry lopez wrote:
wondering if anyone has read the new sport pilot rules about

experimental
a/c that shows if it would be possible to
govern a rv7 with a mazda wankel engine to get past the sport pilot

rule
under the experimental rules for sport pilot.

Look at:
http://www.rotaryaviation.com/
http://conversionconcepts.com/index.html
http://eaa154.dhs.org/perry/other_13B/index.shtml
http://home.earthlink.net/~rotaryeng/ACRE.html

Jerry actually brings up a good point. Many of these homebuilt kits
look inviting and affordable except that they cater to the sport pilot
ruling. Getting answers from the companies on how to make them faster
with better loads has been a struggle. No one wants to go past the
magic numbers. They seem to be afraid that if you make it faster, and
sell it, the next owner may not have the correct license to fly it.
Every time I inquire about what it will take to have better
preformance, the sales reps. stop at the sport pilot numbers. Either
they all use the same engineer, or there afraid to answer the
question.
Lou
Old January 1st 04, 04:41 AM
Scott Correa

Lou, you missed the point of the original question. He wanted to stuff
a detuned 12-A into an RV7 to make it fit the sport pilot regs.

Why detune anything, it is a bad idea.

You can comply with sport pilot regs for speed by simply placing the redline
that corresponds with the max speed for the regs on the airspeed indicator.
As an experimental a/p that is your decision to make. If you placard the
airplane
to comply with the rule, you are prevented from operating the airplane any
faster
even if you have GOBS of throttle available. If anyone asks, say you have
flat
rated the engine to allow for high altitude/ hot day operation. Done.

But speed isn't the only number of concern, Stall speed must be below the
max allowable in the regs also. That is probably tougher.

Scott.

Old January 1st 04, 10:19 AM
Morgans

"Scott Correa" wrote in message

Lou, you missed the point of the original question. He wanted to stuff
a detuned 12-A into an RV7 to make it fit the sport pilot regs.

Why detune anything, it is a bad idea.

You can comply with sport pilot regs for speed by simply placing the

redline
that corresponds with the max speed for the regs on the airspeed

indicator.
As an experimental a/p that is your decision to make. If you placard the
airplane
to comply with the rule, you are prevented from operating the airplane any
faster
even if you have GOBS of throttle available.

Don't bank on it. WOT is what they are after. Any restriction must not be
easily over-ridden, especially from the cockpit.
--
Jim in NC

Old January 4th 04, 02:56 AM
Big John

Jim

Are you saying that you have to unbolt and take the throttle stop out
'before' take off????

Where there's a will there's a way -----Big John