More Explosive Decompression

Old January 5th 04, 07:02 PM
John Galban

Default More Explosive Decompression

Last week we were discussing the possible effect of a bullet piercing
the skin of an airliner at altitude. Oddly enough, last night I saw a
promo for next week's "Mythbusters" show on the Discovery channel.
Apparently, they're going to be conducting some experiments to find
out exactly what effect a bullet will have on a pressurized airliner.

The hosts of the show usually do a pretty good job of simulating the
scenarios that they're investigating, so it should be interesting.
The airliner episode should air next Sunday night on the Discovery
channel.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old January 6th 04, 06:20 PM
Matthew P. Cummings

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 11:02:30 -0800, John Galban wrote:

promo for next week's "Mythbusters" show on the Discovery channel.
Apparently, they're going to be conducting some experiments to find
out exactly what effect a bullet will have on a pressurized airliner.

I'll make a prediction, from what I've been told by ATP's the plane will
not have an explosive decompression, it will lose air of course, but it
won't blow apart.

I just have to remember to tune in Sunday and see the episode.

Old January 6th 04, 10:36 PM
Rick Durden

John,

Don't forget that the B-29 was pressurized. Those bombers took lots
of bullets through the pressure vessel during WWII and Korea. A
bullet does NOT cause explosive decompression, it just adds another
leak to an already very leaky fuselage/pressure vessel and generally
won't even cause a loss of pressurization. The outflow valves are
nearly a foot in diameter, so a dozen bullet holes aren't going to
change things very much.

The tests were run over 50 years ago, but everyone has forgotten the
results.

All the best,
Rick

Old January 7th 04, 08:54 PM
Cub Driver

That's true Rick, they were. However I thought I read somewhere that
as the airplanes approached the Japanese coast, they depressurized

I don't know that for a fact about the B-29, but the similarly
designed B-36 (two crew compartments connected by a tunnel) was meant
to be depressurized when combat was imminent.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com