Compass restoration

Old January 6th 04, 06:21 PM

Default Compass restoration

I was given a pair of compasses to rebuild which seemed pretty
straight forwards until I got to the point of having to repaint the
body.

Does anyone know what paint is used? Or something that
does not react with mineral oil or purified kerosene?

Thanks

Old January 6th 04, 09:30 PM
Henry Bibb

quipbid wrote in message
I was given a pair of compasses to rebuild which seemed pretty
straight forwards until I got to the point of having to repaint the
body.

Does anyone know what paint is used? Or something that
does not react with mineral oil or purified kerosene?

Thanks

Not being a duly licensed instrument technician and all, I categorically
deny painting the lubber line with Testor's model paint.

Old January 6th 04, 09:40 PM
Ron Natalie

"Henry Bibb" wrote in message ink.net...

Not being a duly licensed instrument technician and all, I categorically
deny painting the lubber line with Testor's model paint.

Refinishing the decorative coating of the cabin interiors is allowed preventive
maintenance.

Old January 7th 04, 01:05 PM
Stealth Pilot

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 17:21:32 GMT, " quipbid
wrote:

I was given a pair of compasses to rebuild which seemed pretty
straight forwards until I got to the point of having to repaint the
body.

Does anyone know what paint is used? Or something that
does not react with mineral oil or purified kerosene?

Thanks

matt black lacquer in an aerosol can will do it

Vertical Card Compass Mystery Rosspilot Owning 3 November 3rd 04 07:01 PM
help - whiskey compass has gone wild Jim Piloting 5 July 12th 04 03:33 AM
Do you use your magnetic compass? Roger Long Piloting 42 May 25th 04 12:08 PM
Strange compass behavior me Owning 10 February 14th 04 05:24 AM
Compass turning error Marty Ross Piloting 3 August 21st 03 02:53 PM