Sun Ship Game on Youtube - Complete

Old August 20th 09, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer

Default Sun Ship Game on Youtube - Complete

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 16:57:36 -0700 (PDT), Brad
wrote:

A couple of thoughts:

1) Did I see Moffat cutting the tips off of his Open Cirrus and gluing
on tip extensions? Was this a certified glider? if so, was it ok to
make field mods like that back then?

Not only Moffat's ship was modified, Gleb's was, too.

Here's the story about George's Cirrus:
http://www.classicsailplane.org/Cirr...t/cirrus23.htm

3) Is competition really as filled with broken gliders as we saw in
the video?

Not today anymore - although I know of a recent one in Europe where
quite a few gliders were damaged. But I'm pretty sure that nowadays
pilots tend to convert 500 ft into a safe outlanding instead of using
Moffat's method of getting another 7 miles...

But:
Competitions taking place in mountains are very, very dangerous - the
fatality rate of Grand Prix's that took place in mountains is
devastating in my opinion (3 top pilots killed within the last 2
years). There have also been quite a couple of fatalities in the last
years in competions that took place in the Alps (Switzerland, Rieti).

Andreas
Old August 20th 09, 03:35 AM
tienshanman tienshanman is offline
Member

I was only getting audio too, then downloaded this program: VLC Media Player. Now the video plays perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyV[_2_] View Post

http://torrents.thepiratebay.org/447...22.TPB.torrent

Currently converting the avi to DVD format; will post again if there
are any issues with the video.

Hi Bernie,

I'm getting audio only on some of the half dozen or so media players
that I have on my system. No joy on any video.

Thanks for doing this!

Tony
Old August 20th 09, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Whiskey Delta

On Aug 19, 6:53*pm, Bernie wrote:
The DVD I burnt from the converted .avi file plays *perfectly, the
film is just great and the air to air scenes sensational.
I can even live with the few Bee Gees songs.....

The torrent is still active. *I converted the file to DVD using the
program 'ConvertXtoDVD'.

They sure crashed a lot when out-landing.............. *and landing at
the field!

I have not used torrents before. When I go to download the sunship
file, it downloads a 54.3 KB file only. I can't open this file as
windows doesn't recognize it (using window XP pro and Firefox). Is
there a program to use for downloading torrent files that I need to
get? Is the 54.3 KB file the file that will do the actual
downloading? If so how do I open that file?

Thanks!

WD
Old August 20th 09, 05:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Guy Byars[_2_]

while Gleb had a lot of domestic issues to deal with, while going through a divorce, that ran over into
his contest flying.

Not to mention chain smoking at the high Marfa elevations.

Old August 20th 09, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Edward

At 15:29 20 August 2009, Whiskey Delta wrote:
On Aug 19, 6:53=A0pm, Bernie wrote:
The DVD I burnt from the converted .avi file plays =A0perfectly, the
film is just great and the air to air scenes sensational.
I can even live with the few Bee Gees songs.....

The torrent is still active. =A0I converted the file to DVD using the
program 'ConvertXtoDVD'.

They sure crashed a lot when out-landing.............. =A0and landing

http://www.utorrent.com/
Old August 20th 09, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

On Aug 19, 4:53*pm, Bernie wrote:

They sure crashed a lot when out-landing.............. *and landing at
the field!

There was a prevalent attitude at that time which said the way to win
was to take chances - i.e. "no guts, no glory". You still hear that
occasionally from uninformed sources.

Dick Johnson, like most top pilots, would patiently explain that the
way to win was to be careful, conserve your personal energy and fly
well every day - you couldn't win by crashing your glider or landing
out in remote places that took all night for a retrieve.

They'd say things like. "Know your limits and don't exceed them". "If
you're not good enough to win, taking chances won't improve your
score." "Study, practice and come back next year."

Even if some of these yahoos didn't crash, they scared themselves so
badly they couldn't concentrate. Back home, they'd try to explain
their poor performance by saying 'everyone else' took chances to win
that they weren't willing to take thus perpetuating the "no guts - no
glory" myth.

That said, many 1969 gliders were better designed for rough field
landings. Many still had nose skids and high wings for good brush
clearance. Lighter wing loadings made for slower landings.

Old August 21st 09, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bernie[_4_]

To open the torrent file you have downloaded, you need BitTorrent
client software such as uTorrent or Vuze.
The client software will recognise the file as a torrent, and commence
downloading the actual target file.

Once you have downloaded and installed the client, simply double click
on the torrent file to open it and start the download.

Old August 21st 09, 01:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 08:29:08 -0700, Whiskey Delta wrote:

I have not used torrents before. When I go to download the sunship
file, it downloads a 54.3 KB file only. I can't open this file as
windows doesn't recognize it (using window XP pro and Firefox). Is
there a program to use for downloading torrent files that I need to get?
Is the 54.3 KB file the file that will do the actual downloading? If
so how do I open that file?

Opera 9.64 seems to handle torrents as just another download - at least
the Linux version does.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old August 21st 09, 07:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Whiskey Delta

On Aug 21, 8:53*am, Martin Gregorie
wrote:

Thanks for the replies!
Now to try to convert it and burn a dvd. Will use the suggestions
made previously.

Thanks again,

WD
Old August 25th 09, 03:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
smithcorp

Thanks for the link - got the movie and watched it last night. What
great stuff - makes me want to track down other older docos and movies
featuring soaring. So many crashes and risks taken in this film
though, makes me reluctant to show it to my wife! Seemed like almost
every outlanding included a ground loop.

Great to see the dress code for flying back then. Collared shirt and
chinos. Reminded me of a book I looked at with history of gliding in
Western Australia, with photos from the 1930s era of chaps in primary
gliders wearing shorts with ties. Tally ho!

Hello Game Lovers, Welcome to the money game world ss Soaring 0 May 17th 09 02:02 PM
OLC and YouTube Paul Cordell Soaring 0 January 4th 08 08:59 PM
For Sale, King Avionics, Complete ship set removed from P210 Al G[_1_] Aviation Marketplace 0 February 26th 07 11:38 PM
The Sun Ship Game and the 1969 US Nationals Jon Clarke Soaring 2 April 17th 06 03:02 AM
Sun Ship Game Video [email protected] Soaring 1 February 18th 05 07:18 PM