The Airport Fence

Old August 29th 07, 02:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Default Is general aviation dying?

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

EridanMan writes:

You underestimate the fundamental and visceral pull of aviation to
most pilots. It goes far beyond the rational.

I'm sure that pull exists for some pilots ... but presumably they are
not the ones allowing their aircraft to rust on the field.

My counterpoint would be, for those cashing out the only logical
solution would be to sell the aircraft, even for scrap. I cannot
imagine many people "forget" the 30-120 dollars a month they pay for
ramp space. There is absolutely no economic value to an aircraft
rotting on a tarmac, if they have merely 'lost interest', then
obviously they should get whatever capital they could back out of
their investment, or at least temper their loss.

Perhaps the rental is a psychological crutch, allowing them to believe
that someday they'll fly again, when in fact they probably never will.
Selling or giving up the space would be an admission that they really
aren't going to fly again.

Something that will never happen to you since you will never fly to begin
with

Ever

Bertie

Old August 29th 07, 06:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
El Maximo

"Nomen Nescio" wrote in message

Lost all your mama's money on dot com's?

No. He lost all of his own money (for the short time he actually had some)
on the dot coms. As far as I can tell, he figured out that HTML was pretty
easy, and got himself a big fat contract with a dot com that wanted him in
France. I don't know how long he was living large, but after reading what
he's written, it seems pretty clear that he landed hard, and without a
cushion.

Old August 30th 07, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Usenet Rulez wrote in news:Xns999BA7C757040perv@
130.133.1.4:

Bertie the Bunyip skrev i news:Xns999B9499A5AF2****upropeeh@
207.14.116.130 i rec.aviation.piloting den on 29 aug 2007 03:48:23p

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Nomen Nescio writes:

It's becoming quite obvious why you're broke.

You haven't answered my question: What risk?

Why do you think there is no "intrinsic value"?

Because you cannot do anything with a piece of paper. All you can

do
is sell it, and you can only do that if someone is willing to buy

it.

In contrast, you can use land to grow food, to support a home, and

so
on.

Dealing in things with no intrinsic value is inherently risky. It

is
nearly as risky to speculate on the potential market value of things
that do have intrinsic value, beyond that intrinsic value. History
has shown the truth of this again and again, but there are always
people who will not or cannot learn.

Not at all. I advise people against doing what I do quite often. If
someone thinks it's "gambling", they will lose money.

If someone thinks it's safe investment, he may still lose money ...
because it's actually gambling.

The truth is.....It's hard work.

So is handicapping horses at the track. But it's still gambling.

If you think I'm throwing darts at the Wall Street Journal, you

don't
know any more about successful investing than you do flying.

You don't have to throw darts. Roulette wheels are no less random
when you pick a number than they are when you don't.

Wrong again. It's connected to EVERYTHING else.

No, it's connected to nothing at all. It's a big psychological

game.
Nothing tangible supports it. That's the danger in it, as multiple
stock market crashes have shown.

Most people, like you, can't see the connections.

People like me do not imagine connections that don't exist. The
intrinsic value of stock you hold is no greater than the recycling
value of the paper on which it is printed. All the rest is
speculation, and risk.

If you need "luck", you won't have any.
But, yea, the harder I work....the luckier I get.

If you've been lucky so far, you might delude yourself into thinking
that it's not luck.

it's not,

Actually, I do.

Would you bet your family's lives on it?

At best, you've been a couple of steps higher than you are now.

Many steps higher, actually.

And now you're at the bottom, where you belng, bankruptcy boi

Here in Sweden Fosters doesnt taste good no more, because of its
popularity some local brewery makes it, can't you talk to someone in
charchrge about it?

I'lll have a word. But I can't see how they could have anything but
improve the taste of fosters.

Perhaps AC/DC could do something about it and by the way,a AC/DC in
norhtern Europe wouldnt hurt.

ell, they survived the Vjikings...

bertie

Old August 30th 07, 08:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"EridanMan" wrote in message
ups.com...
Perhaps it's just a reflection of a more general distribution of wealth.
Those who can easily afford to fly may be the wealthy urbanites with good
professional jobs, whereas rural populations may have lower average
incomes
and thus might not be able to easily afford flying.

This is certainly my theory and impression, but I have only my
observations to support it, no real data.

Come out west and see all the ranchers and farmers with their aircraft.

With the coming boom in corn prices, those hayseeds will be getting all the
money from you cityslickers. :~)

--
Matt Barrow
Performance Homes, LLC.

Old August 31st 07, 04:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Lee[_2_]

"Matt Barrow" wrote:

"EridanMan" wrote in message
oups.com...
Perhaps it's just a reflection of a more general distribution of wealth.
Those who can easily afford to fly may be the wealthy urbanites with good
professional jobs, whereas rural populations may have lower average
incomes
and thus might not be able to easily afford flying.

This is certainly my theory and impression, but I have only my
observations to support it, no real data.

Come out west and see all the ranchers and farmers with their aircraft.

With the coming boom in corn prices, those hayseeds will be getting all the
money from you cityslickers. :~)

Just realize that the ethanol scam won't last forever.

Ron Lee
Old August 31st 07, 02:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Ron Lee wrote:

Just realize that the ethanol scam won't last forever.

I don't know about that. The ethanol stupidity is reaching critical mass
faster than the human caused global warming stupidity did.

Old August 31st 07, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote in message
Ron Lee wrote:

Just realize that the ethanol scam won't last forever.

I don't know about that. The ethanol stupidity is reaching critical mass
faster than the human caused global warming stupidity did.

But not as fast as the "human caused global warming causes everything" did!

http://www.numberwatch.co.uk/