IFR student: circling approach struggles

Old July 23rd 05, 01:17 AM
Doug

Go out and without the foggles or an instructor, do a whole bunch of
tight steep approaches and weird circle to lands. Get comfortable with
landing from lower than normal altitude. Make patterns as tight as
possible, etc. Just get comfortable with the limits of what the
airplane will do. You can SLIP all you want, just don't SKID (and you
know the difference right?). After that, you will be more comforatble
weith tight circle to lands.

Old July 23rd 05, 04:55 AM
Mike Rapoport

Slipping in a turn will greatly increase its radius. That is likely your
problem. There is also no reason that you have to end your 180 aligned with
the runway. You can overshoot to the other side and come back. It is the
same as mountain flying, use turns to lengthen the approach if you need more
distance to descend. Also you might as well fly at least a half mile from
the runway on downwind since you aren't going to be doing this with less
than a mile of vis anyway.

Mike
MU-2

"xyzzy" wrote in message
Hmmm good point, my instructor has been on me to keep the downwind tight,
maybe I'm making it too tight. And also probably not rolling into the 30
degree bank fast enough.

slipping slowing down the turn, instructor sez to steepen the bank and
slip, because I am also rolling out on final too high.

Mike Rapoport wrote:

If you are having problems with turn radius you need to slow down. The
turns should be coordinated and if you are slipping (not enough rudder)
that will widen your turns too. Radius of turn at 80kts and 30 deg bank
is 973' which means that you need less than a third of a nm to make a
180. This should not be a problem as no IAP that I have seen has a
circling vis minimium less than that. Remember that turn radius goes up
as the square of the speed. Slow down.

Mike
MU-2

"xyzzy" wrote in message

All through my primary training I learned never to turn more than 30
degree bank in the pattern, and keep that ball centered. For four years
and about 230 hours I've flown by that doctrine.

Now I'm doing instrument and on circling approaches I'm learning that to
keep it close enough in on downwind and still get it around to final
lined up, I have to bank pretty steeply and sometimes even do slipping
turns to final. Plus I'm starting from an altitude about 400-500 feet
lower than the pattern altitude I am used to. so suddenly I am being
called upon to do steep turns in the pattern, sometimes uncoordinated,
and significantly lower than I usually fly patterns. I'm find it hard to
unlearn and as a result my circling approaches are all overshooting
final. So far I have always been able to get back to it while staying
coordinated and land with plenty of runway left. I'm finding myself
having an easier time doing that than banking more than 30 degrees in a
slip while only 300-400 feet AGL.

Did other IFR pilots have this difficulty in training and if so how did
you overcome it. Right now my plan is to go up to altitude and practice
slipping turns and just work at it with my instructor.

Old July 23rd 05, 12:45 PM

Are you aware of the airspace provided for circling approaches? For CAT A
it is 1.3 nautical miles from the approach end of the runway. At an airport
with mulitple runways it can be a bit more than that, at least on downwind.
But, assume it is no greater than 1.3 nautical miles. That is a fair chunk
of airspace for a Cessna 182, or such.

Old July 23rd 05, 08:22 PM
xyzzy

Mike Rapoport wrote:

Slipping in a turn will greatly increase its radius. That is likely your
problem. There is also no reason that you have to end your 180 aligned with
the runway. You can overshoot to the other side and come back.

That's exactly what I have been doing.

Old July 23rd 05, 08:25 PM
xyzzy

Michael wrote:

Something way wrong is happening in your training.

First, read what Mike Rapoport wrote - it's correct and I won't repeat
it.

yes it was very helpful.

Second, what exactly are you using to estimate distance from the runway
on downwind? You should be about 3000-4000 ft away from the runway on
downwind. Any tighter is unnecessary and undesirable.

I think this may be the root of the problem, too close on downwind.

Third, steep banks and uncoordinated maneuvers on a circling approach
are bad news.

I agree with this which is why I am reluctant to bank steep or slip in
the turn.

Old July 25th 05, 02:19 AM
Roger

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 03:55:35 GMT, "Mike Rapoport"
wrote:

Slipping in a turn will greatly increase its radius. That is likely your
problem. There is also no reason that you have to end your 180 aligned with
the runway. You can overshoot to the other side and come back. It is the
same as mountain flying, use turns to lengthen the approach if you need more
distance to descend. Also you might as well fly at least a half mile from
the runway on downwind since you aren't going to be doing this with less
than a mile of vis anyway.

Turns need to be coordinated until within 30 degrees of the final
heading. (I left my FARs/AIM out in the shop) and as I recall you
need to maintain MDA until within 30 degrees of the runway. At that
point if the runway is relatively short I resort to a slipping turn to
lose altitude in a hurry.. Even if lined up with the runway I'll slip
to the end, unless it's a long runway. Ours are 3000, and 3800 and
all VOR approaches end in a circle to land. GPS 6 and 24 are straight
in.

Mike
MU-2

"xyzzy" wrote in message
Hmmm good point, my instructor has been on me to keep the downwind tight,
maybe I'm making it too tight. And also probably not rolling into the 30
degree bank fast enough.

slipping slowing down the turn, instructor sez to steepen the bank and
slip, because I am also rolling out on final too high.

Normally you wouldn't be flying a down wind, base and final at most
uncontrolled airports and you can start your descent within 30 degrees
of the runway heading rather than rolling out lined up with the
runway. OTOH this does take practice and the AIM cautions that the
"circle to land" takes extra proficiency as you are maneuvering close
to the ground.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Old July 25th 05, 02:57 AM
Roy Smith

Roger wrote:
as I recall you need to maintain MDA until within 30 degrees of the runway.

There is no such requirement. The AIM (5-4-19-f) just says:

Pilots should remain at or above the circling altitude until the aircraft is
continuously in a position from which a descent to a landing on the intended
runway can be made at a normal rate of descent using normal maneuvers.

On an approach like http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0507/09390G4.PDF (Ellenville,
NY GPS-4, CTL), the MDA is almost 2000 AGL. No way in heck you'd be able
to land if you waited until you were almost established on final before
going below MDA.
Old July 25th 05, 04:06 PM
Scott Migaldi

xyzzy wrote:

Did other IFR pilots have this difficulty in training and if so how did
you overcome it. Right now my plan is to go up to altitude and practice
slipping turns and just work at it with my instructor.

This is where I learned to not do circling approach at minimums or at night.

Old July 25th 05, 05:14 PM
Roger

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 21:57:10 -0400, Roy Smith wrote:

Roger wrote:
as I recall you need to maintain MDA until within 30 degrees of the runway.

There is no such requirement. The AIM (5-4-19-f) just says:

Thanks Roy. As I said I didn't have mine in here for reference.