Time Magazine Article "What's causing ATC delays"

Old September 1st 07, 04:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

Default Time Magazine Article "What's causing ATC delays"

"Gattman" wrote in message

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message
news
But if CFI's applied the same measure of diligence that reporters seem to,
every plane ever built would be a smoldering hulk long ago.

Conversely, if CFIs were expected to fly a new type of aircraft with very
little training time or instruction every day, the result would be the
same.

Amazing that they can come out of college so poory stood in the world in
general. The CFI analogy would be if every day they flew one of several
172's, 152's, and a handful of 182s.

It's definately hard to talk transporation one day, medicine the next,
crime/politics/science, etc.

Yet they do. And they attempt to come off as experts. If a crime happens,
you get your crime reporter; if it's a disaster, you get someone who has
been to a few.

Using your analogy, CFI's would have 15 hours total time.

As for your OSU professor, did he ever teach rules for objective
reporting?

They all did, some more effectively than others. In terms of accuracy,
they'd fail you for misspelling a name (for example) regarldess of how
well the article was written otherwise.

Slight innaccuracies are not a facet of being objective. Maybe that's the
problem, they were too worried about writing style, and not about how well
they observed something going on and were able to tell the story without
getting their ass into it. This observe/note/report sequence is basic
training in a lot of other fields; why can't reporters do it?

However, it's important to note that publishers aren't necessarily former
journalists or journalism graduates, and they basically get to decide what
to publish and if/whether there will be any particular spin.

Agreed. As for publishers, not always, but mostly they are journalists, are
they not?

It's to wonder when they transitioned from "reporter" to "propagandist". To
do so is, to me, worse than prostituting oneself.

It's quite a bit like the music industry, where the artists is working for
the company and gets told what to write, with whom to record, etc. (I
know of a Portland musician who got a major L.A. contract and was told she
needed to get braces and breast implants, so she's back to the coffee shop
circuit.)

Not Faith Hill? Please tell me it wasn't her!!

It's up to the journalist's own ethical standards to determine whether to
write for such a publication. At a job interview for a news editor
position in 1995 I told the interviewer that I would expect truth,
accuracy and objectivity and was told by the manager "Well, we're a
left-leaning publication" so I said a few polite words and then got up and
left.

So sad; the press was supposed to be the bulwark between liberty and
tyranny. Now they come off like the highpriests of ancient times.

Old September 1st 07, 04:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"john smith" wrote in message
In article ,
"Gattman" wrote:

I studied Journalism at OSU

a. The Ohio State University
b. Oklahoma State University
c. Oregon State University
d. (some-other) State University

My alma mater- Oh! S#*t University.

Old September 1st 07, 04:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"Blueskies" wrote in message

"Morgans" wrote in message

"john smith" wrote in message
In article ,
"Gattman" wrote:

I studied Journalism at OSU

a. The Ohio State University
b. Oklahoma State University
c. Oregon State University
d. (some-other) State University

We can safely rule out choice "a" above, because as you have written the
name correctly, no graduate of "The Ohio State University" would refer
to that fine institution as simply "OSU" ! ! ! g
--
Jim in NC

Go Bucks!
An institution of higher learning...

Ummm, no! That's, higher lernin' !

Old September 2nd 07, 03:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Phil

james wrote:
Hey all - I'm mostly a lurker but felt compelled to comment on this.

Time Magazine recently had an incredibly asinine piece on "What's
causing flight delays." In it the writer blames the old ATC system,
but barely gives word to busy hub airports, overscheduled/canceled
flights, and a host of other LOCAL AIRPORT and AIRLINE problems that
are really to blame. And of course adding a one line jab about GA.

Plus - the animation showing a plane being bounced around the sky like
a pinball is hilarious, and just plane incorrect.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...653304,00.html

I wrote a rebuttal on my blog: Would love any comments/corrections or
opinions

http://www.futuregringo.com/index.ph...travel-delays/

should invest the money in people, resources (such as ground radar,)
and improvements in the LOCAL airport environments at our largest
hubs. The TOWER is where air traffic controllers are overworked,
overtaxed, and because of this have increased chances of errors. Why
are people being told, or sold, a false worry about the LEAST
problematic and least dangerous part of our ATC system?

Let's see, about 233,000 active pilots out of a population now over
300,000,000. Maybe lots less registered GA aircraft.

The flying public couldn't give a flying f**k about GA unless GA holds
up their flight and then GA should disappear.

Face it, we are a dying breed and there's nothing that can be done about
it at this late stage. Expect to see our free-wheeling flying to be gone
within the next 20-30 years, if not sooner.

--
"Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool."
—- Voltaire