Ack!! video A320 xwind in Germany

Old March 4th 08, 11:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Stewart

Default Ack!! video A320 xwind in Germany

Robert M. Gary wrote:
On Mar 4, 12:10 pm, Dallas wrote:
On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 20:57:26 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Boeing recommend slipping from
about 200 feet down

So Bertie, will this pilot, "Oliver A.", generally be seen in the pilot
community as having screwed up?

CNN is reporting that she is onlly 24 years old. Maybe she doesn't
have a lot of experience in cross wind landings??

She got several years worth that day...
Old March 5th 08, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Dallas

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 14:35:07 -0800 (PST), Robert M. Gary wrote:

CNN is reporting that she is onlly 24 years old.

A chick named "Oliver"?

:-/

--
Dallas
Old March 5th 08, 04:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Airbus[_4_]

In article ,
says...

Recently, Jim Logajan posted:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
"gatt" wrote in news:13sol8u8jlhokb5
@corp.supernews.com:

WTF kind of crosswind does it take to cause this?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ddb_1204404185

Wasn't so much the crosswind as the technique used to deal with it.

Perhaps so - but it's been alleged there was a wind gust of 155 mph:

Could it have been caused by that wing almost hitting the ground? ;-)

The entire approach looked bogus to me, but I'm nowhere near a heavy
driver. The result was exactly what I'd expect with that technique...

Why? The approach was perfect until the moment he had to get the right
wing down and "couldn't" or just "didn't" .We'll have to wait for a full
analysis from Mxmanic to be sure though. . .

Old March 5th 08, 06:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Christian Buxel

Dallas schrieb:
On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 14:35:07 -0800 (PST), Robert M. Gary wrote:

CNN is reporting that she is onlly 24 years old.

A chick named "Oliver"?

:-/

Of course not, Oliver A. (39) was captain on that flight and Maxi J. (24
and female) was FO

http://www.spiegel.de/international/...539373,00.html

Christian
Old March 6th 08, 02:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Bertie the Bunyip

On 6 Mar, 05:47, Airbus wrote:
In article ,
says...

Dallas schrieb:
On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 14:35:07 -0800 (PST), Robert M. Gary wrote:

CNN is reporting that she is onlly 24 years old.

A chick named "Oliver"?

:-/

Of course not, Oliver A. (39) was captain on that flight and Maxi J. (24
and female) was FO

http://www.spiegel.de/international/...539373,00.html

Christian

Maxi J. *- *This just gets better and better!
And the "experienced" 36-year-old captain gives her her "first landing" in
the middle of a cyclone - saving the day just as the winglet gets scraped
off! I thought it was cute when Karen Black flew the 747, but those
screenwriters wouldn't have dreamed of this . . .- Hide quoted text -

Well, they gotta learn somehow! I was not a million miles from there
around the same time with a neophyte FO and I let him land it. The x-
wind componenet wasn't so much and I briefed him at length on method
during the approach, but I don't think I'd have let him land with that
much x-wind.

BTW, these things are able to be slipped in a crosswind.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/969255...swind_landing/

Bertie

Old March 6th 08, 11:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Peter Clark

On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 18:05:57 -0800 (PST), Bertie the Bunyip
wrote:

Well, they gotta learn somehow! I was not a million miles from there
around the same time with a neophyte FO and I let him land it. The x-
wind componenet wasn't so much and I briefed him at length on method
during the approach, but I don't think I'd have let him land with that
much x-wind.

BTW, these things are able to be slipped in a crosswind.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/969255...swind_landing/

What kind of bank angle do you need to have before you start worrying
about striking a pod in one of these? Isn't the 73 a significant
number less?
Old March 6th 08, 01:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr

On Mar 4, 2:18 pm, Dallas wrote:
On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 08:15:37 -0800 (PST), gliderguynj wrote:
Would a jet make a second attempt in 155mph winds at the same field?

Not to mention that it would be impossible to kick an airliner straight
with 155 mph gust slamming the vertical stabilizer.

--
Dallas

Karen Black could do it, if George Kennedy talked her through it.
Old March 6th 08, 02:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Tina

The comments on Utube associated with this video talk about the pilot
skills! If I know that pilot was in the front of the airplane, I'd be
getting off, thank you very much. It looked like she tried to make a
coordinated turn toward the center of the runway during the flare but
whatever was going on, it took a few seconds too long to decide to get
out of there.

Old March 6th 08, 02:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Airbus[_4_]

In article
,
says...