Bush flew fighter jets, but never over VIETNAM.

Old July 11th 04, 12:44 PM
Smartace11

The only thing I've seen is that Bush declined to volunteer for Viet Nam.

Your point is? I don't think many of us actually did. Some did to get out of
a tour in places like Korea.
Old July 11th 04, 12:45 PM
Smartace11

Newspaper report from Friday's Atlanta Journal-Constitution indicates that
the records which could have cleared up when and for what GW Bush was paid
during his enlistment have been inadvertently destroyed. Alas.

Must be in the same place that the Hildebeast Clinton's various files ended up.
Old July 11th 04, 01:25 PM
WalterM140

The only thing I've seen is that Bush declined to volunteer for Viet Nam.

Your point is? I don't think many of us actually did. Some did to get out
of
a tour in places like Korea.

The point is that someone said that Bush volunteered for Viet Nam, but there is
a document extant that shows he -did-not- volunteer for overseas assignment at
one point.

If he did later change his mind, I'd be glad to see it.

Walt
Old July 11th 04, 02:41 PM
Smartace11

The point is that someone said that Bush volunteered for Viet Nam, but there
is
a document extant that shows he -did-not- volunteer for overseas assignment
at
one point.

Why is that a point worth debating? I joined the AF in 1968,flew F-4s, didn't
volunteer, and didn't end up in SEA until 1972. Wasn't avoiding it, just
didn't see that it made any difference one way or the other.

A friend in the old Air Defence Command did volunteer starting in 1967, flew
F-101, F-102, and F-4s and was never sent until 1972.

You guys are trying to put way too much spin in this. GWB followed a path that
others that I knew did either by choice, political influence, or luck of the
draw. Algore clearly did the same with his assignment as a press officer. A
two star I worked for did his tour as a navigator (!!) on a T-39 Learjet (c/s
Scatback) that ferried between Clark Air Base Phillipines, Saigon, and the Thai
bases. Flying a Deuce was far more dangerous in any circumstances.

To me the only thing that is totally unfathomable is why a decorated Vietnam
vet would hook up with the likes of Jane Fonda and her crowd to protest the war
unless it was to gain political traction under a Republican president.

Steve Mellenthin
2000 hrs F-4C/D/E/RF
270 Missions SEA 72-74
Repubican
Old July 11th 04, 03:57 PM
Mike Williamson

WalterM140 wrote:
Of course he knew about the Golf Courses- he volunteered for
deployment to Vietnam, as you have known for some time, as it came
up several times in the newspapers, these forums, and even
television news.

No. At least on one occasion Bush declined to volunteer for Viet Nam.

Here is the link that proves this:

http://awolbush.com/images/kerr_bush_nam.gif

Have you some proof that Bush ever changed this?

Walt

Since that form doesn't have a date, and according to the first
section, deals with being recalled for non-flying duty, it appears
to deal with inactive duty after going off active duty, and is
therefore irrelevant to the discussion. Perhaps the (obviously
objective) owner of the site "awolbush.com" would provide the rest
of the form so that we might see the actual context of the
form?

I'll not hold my breath waiting, if you don't mind...

The volunteering for deployment in the F-102 was covered quite
some time ago- during the 2000 Presidential campaign, as I recall..

Mike

Old July 11th 04, 03:59 PM
WalterM140

The point is that someone said that Bush volunteered for Viet Nam, but there
is
a document extant that shows he -did-not- volunteer for overseas assignment
at
one point.

Why is that a point worth debating?

It seems to be a false statement.

Walt
Old July 11th 04, 04:02 PM
Mike Williamson

Smartace11 wrote:

You guys are trying to put way too much spin in this. GWB followed a path that
others that I knew did either by choice, political influence, or luck of the
draw. Algore clearly did the same with his assignment as a press officer. A
two star I worked for did his tour as a navigator (!!) on a T-39 Learjet (c/s
Scatback) that ferried between Clark Air Base Phillipines, Saigon, and the Thai
bases. Flying a Deuce was far more dangerous in any circumstances.

Minor nit-pick. The (C)T-39 was the Sabreliner. Learjets didn't come
into AF service until the 1980's, replacing the Sabreliner in many
instances. The Navy still flies T-39s.

Mike Williamson

Old July 11th 04, 04:04 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Smartace11" wrote in message

You guys are trying to put way too much spin in this. GWB followed a
path that others that I knew did either by choice, political influence, or
luck of the draw. Algore clearly did the same with his assignment as a
press officer.

Gore was not an officer.

A two star I worked for did his tour as a navigator (!!) on a T-39 Learjet

(c/s
Scatback) that ferried between Clark Air Base Phillipines, Saigon, and the

Thai
bases.

T-39 Sabreliner.

Old July 11th 04, 04:04 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"WalterM140" wrote in message

The only thing I've seen is that Bush declined to volunteer for Viet Nam.

A link:

http://awolbush.com/images/kerr_bush_nam.gif

Your link does not say that.

Old July 11th 04, 04:13 PM
Steve Mellenthin

Minor nit-pick. The (C)T-39 was the Sabreliner. Learjets didn't come
into AF service until the 1980's, replacing the Sabreliner in many
instances. The Navy still flies T-39s.

You're right. I misspoke in trying to relate to the youngsters here what a
T-39 was.

Bush's guard record JDKAHN Home Built 13 October 3rd 04 09:38 PM
Bush Flew Fighter Jets During Vietnam WalterM140 Military Aviation 609 September 11th 04 03:26 AM
bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM