flying into the new Air and Space Museum

Old December 3rd 03, 10:34 PM
Margy Natalie

Default flying into the new Air and Space Museum

I've done a bit of research on where to put your plane if you are flying

in. You can't taxi to the museum, so that is right out. Piedmont
Hawthorne quoted me $10.96 for landing and $20 a day for parking, with
NO
transport to the museum. They did offer me a number for Enterprise rent
car and Enterprise is thinking of offering "some sort" of deal.
Signature
wanted to know my aircraft type before quoting any fees, since I don't
know everyone's aircraft type I got quotes for a 172 and a Baron
figuring
most folks will fall somewhere in that range. A 172 would have $8
landing, $23/day parking, $22 handling waived with 7 gals fuel. A Baron

would be $13.70 landing, $27.67/day parking with $55 handling waived
with
50 gals fuel (but then she said it's only 30 gals for a model 32 versus
38, but since I really don't know Baron numbers I may have that
backwards). Signature is offering SHUTTLE SERVICE to the museum. They
have special permission to drive to the museum on the airport side,
rather
than the road side!!! As much as I don't like signature's handling
fees,
I must say I really like it that they are offering the shuttle service.

As usual, call the FBO before you go to double check.

If you have any questions about the museum, opening, etc. please let me
know and I'll try to get back to you. Please send a copy to my email
also
as I haven't had much time to read newsgroups. BTW I really found out
what "other duties as assigned" means today. I can assure you the floor

under the Enola Gay is clean and the Stratoliner is no more fun to
polish than
any other airplane.

Margy Natalie
FCPS Aerospace Educator in Residence
Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center
National Air and Space Museum

Dave wrote:

I was told at one of the big shows(Oshkosh? AOPA? I forget) by reps at

the Udvar-Hazy booth (with the awesome model of the new Smithsonian
A&S museum) that 4 times per year general aviation aircraft will be
permitted to land at Dulles and then taxi back to a parking area
adjacent to the museum.

It opens 12/15 (a Monday), so I'm wondering what the deal is. Sure
would beat traffic to be able to fly in....

Old December 3rd 03, 10:44 PM
Jay Honeck

I've done a bit of research on where to put your plane if you are flying

Thanks for the info, Margy!

Someday soon we're gonna fly the kids in there...

(And polishing that beautiful Boeing sounds like heaven, to me!)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 4th 03, 02:22 AM
john smith

Thanks, Margy!
I am considering flying the Champ to visit the Museum.
I guess I will have to plan my trip so I can get 7 gallons to fill my 13
gallon tank.
Is the price you inquired about the weekday or weekend rate?
Is there a difference?
Does the 50 cent weekend fuel discount apply?

(All questions I should call Signature and ask myself.)
Old December 4th 03, 02:28 AM
Margy Natalie

The fuel is the weekday rate, Signature does have a 50cent discount on
weekends. Looks like I might have to like Signature (don't tell Ron I said
that!!). Hope to see you at the museum although I really hope I won't be
working too many weekends :-). BTW there is a Family Day planned for Sat.
December 20th with special activities going on from 11 - 3. The crowds
will still be a bit heavy, but it should be fun.

Margy

Old December 4th 03, 04:19 AM
Dindon

Margy Natalie wrote:

in. You can't taxi to the museum, so that is right out. Piedmont
Hawthorne quoted me $10.96 for landing and $20 a day for parking, with

Hey, that's only $8 more than it'll cost to park a car there! (Screw
WMAA...)

Old December 4th 03, 11:09 AM
Cub Driver

in. You can't taxi to the museum, so that is right out. Piedmont
Hawthorne quoted me $10.96 for landing and $20 a day for parking, with
NO
transport to the museum. They did offer me a number for Enterprise rent

When I checked the situation for the press preview tomorrow, I found a
couple of motels that offered transportation to the airport, and one
that offered complimentary transport within 3 miles, which would have
sufficed.

I even thought of walking--the distances aren't vast--but a friend who
lives and works in Edge City discouraged me, on the grounds that there
might be no sidewalks. The Rt 28/50 intersection, he says, he is a
highway overpass. The museum is to the west of that intersection and
most (not all) of the motels are to the east or north.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old December 4th 03, 01:31 PM
Margy Natalie

I would NOT suggest walking! The roadways are not designed for foot
traffic. Are you attending the press preview? If so, look me up, I'll be
there all day.

and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com

Old December 4th 03, 08:21 PM
Cub Driver

I would NOT suggest walking! The roadways are not designed for foot
traffic. Are you attending the press preview? If so, look me up, I'll be
there all day.

No, I gave up when it appeared that a) the shuttle from NASM isn't
running and b) it was scheduled for two hours, mostly speeches from
Important People. (But I guess from your post that I was wrong and
that it is actually open all day?)

Never mind! I am now going down the week of January 5, Does the
shuttle bus run every day? Is the weekend (specifically Saturday Jan
10) likely to be especially busy?

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old December 4th 03, 11:23 PM
Margy Natalie

Cub Driver wrote:

I would NOT suggest walking! The roadways are not designed for foot
traffic. Are you attending the press preview? If so, look me up, I'll be
there all day.

No, I gave up when it appeared that a) the shuttle from NASM isn't
running and b) it was scheduled for two hours, mostly speeches from
Important People. (But I guess from your post that I was wrong and
that it is actually open all day?)

Well, I'm at work all day. I think the official agenda said it should wind
down earlier. I doubt they would throw a press person out :-)

Never mind! I am now going down the week of January 5, Does the
shuttle bus run every day? Is the weekend (specifically Saturday Jan
10) likely to be especially busy?

I THINK the shuttle will run everyday, but I'll know more later. I'm going to
guess that everyday from now to Jan. 5 will be busy and the weekends are going
to be busy for a while. There are no special events (that I know of) planned
for the 10th. Feel free to send me email here or at nasm. Use my last name
followed by m with nasm.si.edu

Margy Natalie

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: