Another article

Old December 4th 03, 12:34 AM
BTIZ

A.S.

??

"Peter R." wrote in message
Roger Long om) wrote:

snip
I find "Aviation Safety" the best of the mags I read. No ads, solid
and to the point stuff. No fluff. I enjoy "Flying" and "AOPA Pilot"
as entertainment but A.S. is more interesting and makes me a better
pilot.

Thank you for the brief synopsis and thank you for the recommendation. I
will seriously look into purchasing an AS subscription.

--
Peter

News==----

Newsgroups

=---

Old December 4th 03, 12:53 AM
Peter Duniho

"BTIZ" wrote in message
A.S.

??

"Aviation Safety". As in, "I'm in danger of becoming a regular contributor
to 'Aviation Safety'", which is what Roger wrote when he started this
thread.

Old December 4th 03, 02:48 PM
James M. Knox

Cub Driver wrote in
:

Is this Pennsylvania Dutch?
("Throw Momma down the stairs a hat!")

Interesting. This used to be a New Hampshire calumny:
"Throw Father down the stairs his shoes."

We used to collect those, back when I was doing AI and "natural language
parsing" research. Things that people tend to understand without
difficulty, but would drive our best computer programs bonkers. Some
classics that were always used to test parsing:

The old man the boats.

Time flies like an arrow.

The've been working on the problem for 40 years, and still haven't found a
solution.

James M. Knox
TriSoft ph 512-385-0316
1109-A Shady Lane fax 512-366-4331
Austin, Tx 78721
Old December 4th 03, 04:29 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Montblack wrote:

UNSEND! UNSEND!

Yeah. How come the "cancel message" command doesn't really do anything?

George Patterson
Some people think they hear a call to the priesthood when what they really
hear is a tiny voice whispering "It's indoor work with no heavy lifting".
Old December 4th 03, 07:01 PM
Rob Perkins

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 11:29:38 -0500, "G.R. Patterson III"
wrote:

Yeah. How come the "cancel message" command doesn't really do anything?

It's unevenly implemented. Many servers just ignore it.

Rob
Old December 4th 03, 07:42 PM
David Dyer-Bennet

"G.R. Patterson III" writes:

Montblack wrote:

UNSEND! UNSEND!

Yeah. How come the "cancel message" command doesn't really do anything?

Because people got into wars of sending cancel messages for varous
other people's messages, and for spam, and for all messages in a
group, and so forth, and muddied the waters so badly that many servers
stopped honoring cancel messages. (Most of the spam control is now
done via nocem messages, which unlike the original cancel
architecture, are authenticated.)
--
David Dyer-Bennet, , www.dd-b.net/dd-b/
RKBA: noguns-nomoney.com www.dd-b.net/carry/
Old December 4th 03, 10:51 PM
Jay Honeck

Gee, that kinda puts me on the spot. They pay me money for this stuff. I'm not sure I should be handing it out the back door before the issue even hits the streets

Pshaw, Roger -- I use the participants in this newsgroup as proof-readers.

THEN I sell it to the magazines! :-)

(You folks are good editors...)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old December 5th 03, 12:18 AM
Peter Duniho

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message
Yeah. How come the "cancel message" command doesn't really do anything?

It used to. But when the number of forged cancel posts outnumbered the
number, it became less worthwhile to honor cancel posts.