Helicopter superstitions and "old wives" tales?

Old November 30th 05, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

Default Helicopter superstitions and "old wives" tales?

Stu
I've done the same thing if the tailrotor drive shaft was slick. The
last TomCat I flew had some kind of compound they called "Bear Grease"
slathered on the drive shaft as a corrosion preventive. It has a lack
of "slick" to it and did not lend itself well to slowing the rpms with
your hands! In fact, the stuff has the same consistency as the Rhino
coatings in truck beds...

Old November 30th 05, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

Slats
While many focus on the blades for freq problems, the damned engine is
turning faster than any other components and can create confusing
vibrations for the unwary. Of course if you are flying a turbine, we
have a different set of conditions to deal with.
I daresay, helicopters pilots have the most finely tuned sense of
vibrations of most trades, except perhaps musicians? And its amazing to
me how many pilots are musicians!
Cheers

Old November 30th 05, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

"Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote in message
oups.com...
Slats
While many focus on the blades for freq problems, the damned engine is
turning faster than any other components and can create confusing
vibrations for the unwary. Of course if you are flying a turbine, we
have a different set of conditions to deal with.
I daresay, helicopters pilots have the most finely tuned sense of
vibrations of most trades, except perhaps musicians? And its amazing to
me how many pilots are musicians!

Particularly as most are half deaf!

Slatts

Old November 30th 05, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

Jim wrote:
Right "boy" needs scrathing, in trim, left "boy" out of trim flight
condition. If both itch try eliminating starch or pressing. Use
"tumbled dry cycle". If all else fails, wax instead of shaving.

SPLUTTER !

Oh great. NOW how I am I supposed to get the coffee out of this
keyboard? g

Old December 1st 05, 09:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

OK Bob you got me on one. Whats with never grabbing the tail rotor shaft to
slow down the main rotor on shut down? I don't have a rotor brake and have
used the hands on (no gloves) approach to speed up the slow down on the MR.

Me too. That's how I stop the mains when I fly the C300... Learned
from my CFII when i asked "Does this thing have a rotor brake?" He
said, "Follow me." then hopped out and grabbed the shaft.. "This is
it right here.."

So,,,,, throwing a wet towel at the TR hub, is not a good idea then? g

Cam.

Old December 1st 05, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote in
message ...
On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 08:37:45 -0800, "Stuart & Kathryn Fields"
wrote:

OK Bob you got me on one. Whats with never grabbing the tail rotor shaft
slow down the main rotor on shut down? I don't have a rotor brake and
have
used the hands on (no gloves) approach to speed up the slow down on the
MR.

Me too. That's how I stop the mains when I fly the C300... Learned
from my CFII when i asked "Does this thing have a rotor brake?" He
said, "Follow me." then hopped out and grabbed the shaft.. "This is
it right here.."

That's how our boss lost his middle finger :-(

Slatts

Old December 14th 05, 08:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

The OTHER Kevin in San Diego wrote:
On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 22:07:46 GMT, boB
wrote:

Hi Si. I'm glad you are doing so good. A tail rotor out of balance
causes a high frequency vibration which you can feel as a buzzing. In
the aircraft I've flown you sometimes can feel it in the pedals and you
may feel like your feet are going to sleep. Other times you may feel it
in the door frame when you touch it with your hand. I don't know what
an R22 feels like though.

Never had the urge to scratch my nose while flying. Must have good
tailrotors on the ships I fly. Now I have had the urge to scratch my
"boys" while flying - I wonder what that might indicate.

My nose itches like an SOB when I'm flying. Rarely on the ground at
flight idle, but with skids up...all the time, though somewhat less at
straight and level than at max power.

I thought it was just nerves. It only happens in the R-22.
Old December 14th 05, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

Slatts
....."particularly since most are half deaf"
Musicians or pilots? I suppose the rockers are both? I know my high
freq hearing has deterioratred over the years of flying piston and
turbine equipment but I'm still able to tune my cello. bass, and
guitars OK. I have a hard time hearing my wife sometimes
though......ggg

Old December 15th 05, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

"D Peter Maus" wrote in message

SNIP
My nose itches like an SOB when I'm flying. Rarely on the ground at
flight idle, but with skids up...all the time, though somewhat less at
straight and level than at max power.

I thought it was just nerves. It only happens in the R-22.

In which case the machine has a problem - Get a Vibration analysis done
before something fails!

Slatts

Old December 16th 05, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

The OTHER Kevin in San Diego wrote:
On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 20:01:26 GMT, D Peter Maus
wrote:

My nose itches like an SOB when I'm flying. Rarely on the ground at
flight idle, but with skids up...all the time, though somewhat less at
straight and level than at max power.

I thought it was just nerves. It only happens in the R-22.

That's wierd.. I've never experienced an itchy nose in the R22.. My
ass goes numb on long (2+ hours) flights but I think that's more the
thin seat cushion than anything else.

I've never had anything go numb in an R-22, but my nose itches in all
of them that I've flown: Standard, Beta and Beta II.

Standing 6'1", though, I do have trouble stretching to my full height
after 2hrs+ in right seat.

Even so, a bad day in R-22 is better than a good day doing most
anything else.