Autorotations

Old December 16th 05, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

Default Autorotations

It's getting pretty boring here. So, who has done an actual emergency
autorotation and what was the outcome?
As previously posted, I've done at least five with various failures and
all to successful conclusions. Geeez guys....it's Christmas! Can't we
say something or do something to brighten up the spirit of the season?
I have a phyxed wing student who just did a terrible landing recovery
this week and jammed the nose wheel up into the cowling doing about 30K
of damage to a C172SP. Curled the prop and all. Talk about a dampener
to the Xmas spirit?
So, what have you done lately? Anything to brighten up the day?
Ol Shy & Bashful

Old December 17th 05, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

I've done a bunch through the years. Actually, most of the "unexpected"
engine out auto's I've done were pretty much uneventul. Even entered a
couple of them from inverted but had enough altitude to deal with it.
Dropped the collective, hit throttle hold, and split S'd to upright and put
the bird on the ground.

The first "oh sh**" auto I ever did, which occured while I was actually
practicing to "learn" how to do auto's, was the result of a tail rotor
failure. That one was "real" interesting but successful nontheless. I wish
I could claim skill on that one however it was nothing but dumb luck. I'll
take luck over skill any time! ;-)

Fly Safe,
Steve R.

ups.com...

Old December 17th 05, 12:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

Oops. Sorry guys, wrong newgroup. One of the pitfalls for loitering
around one geared to the full size birds and one geared to the RC versions.

Please ignore the previous post.

Old December 17th 05, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

"Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote in
ups.com:

It's getting pretty boring here. So, who has done an actual emergency
autorotation and what was the outcome?
As previously posted, I've done at least five with various failures

and
all to successful conclusions. Geeez guys....it's Christmas! Can't we
say something or do something to brighten up the spirit of the season?
I have a phyxed wing student who just did a terrible landing recovery
this week and jammed the nose wheel up into the cowling doing about

30K
of damage to a C172SP. Curled the prop and all. Talk about a dampener
to the Xmas spirit?
So, what have you done lately? Anything to brighten up the day?
Ol Shy & Bashful

So far I've only had one engine failure (piston) - it happened on the
ground during the run up! Best engine out procedure I ever handled

The school here has had a few though. Pistons like to quit during
practice autos just to check you really had a good place to go when you
chopped the throttle. They've all ended up OK....

However, a few autos to the ground (engine still working), that haven't
been so successful - definitely seems that practicing for autos is more
dangerous than the real thing...

Merry Christmas guys. Fly safe.

toad.
Old December 18th 05, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

At first, I only read these with interest and then I remembered that I did
have the engine quit one day and I successfully set it down. I had about 12
hrs total helo time and was in the process of hovering off some test time on
my Baby Belle. The mixture at idle was a little rich so I tweaked the
mixture back until the engine ran smooth while I warmed it up. When it was
ready, I lifted off into a hover and the engine quit. Too lean a mixture
for full power. I had never practiced a hovering auto in my ship yet but I
guess the reflex action was correct. Thanks to "Ol Shy & Bashful"'s
posting, I now can say I have had an auto to the ground. This one was so
quick I didn't have time to get scared.
--
Stuart Fields

"Toad-Man" wrote in message
1...
"Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote in
ups.com:

Old December 19th 05, 02:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

Heres a new one for the books and possibly stir things up a little. I once
had to do an auto from about 500 ft AGL but with a power recovery. When
doing my warm-up I noticed the rotors spool up a little more than normal but
didn't think to much of it at the time. Once all the temps were in the green
I set out and departed and all seemed normal. Once at altitude I notice that
my EGT's would sky rocket as soon as I reduced the throttle for cruise, did
I mention I was in a Mini 500. The mini has two sets of carburater jets, one
for cruise, and one for higher power settings. So my only option I could see
at the time was to keep climbing or go faster, both using the higher power
setting, or auto back to my departure point. I did a quick circuit back so
as to auto into wind and then cut the throttle to idle and entered the auto.
At the bottom of the auto I did a power recovery at about 10 ft agl and set
it down uneventfully, changed the jets to richer ones and set off again with
no problems. Just goes to show that I should have noticed that with the
rotors spooling up at idle (slightly higher engine RPM do to the leaner
jets) I should have looked into what was the cause. I should also mention
that this was the only engine problem I had in appox. 300 hrs of flying the
Mini.
Kirt

"Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote in message
.. .
At first, I only read these with interest and then I remembered that I did
have the engine quit one day and I successfully set it down. I had about
12
hrs total helo time and was in the process of hovering off some test time
on
my Baby Belle. The mixture at idle was a little rich so I tweaked the
mixture back until the engine ran smooth while I warmed it up. When it
was
ready, I lifted off into a hover and the engine quit. Too lean a mixture
for full power. I had never practiced a hovering auto in my ship yet but
guess the reflex action was correct. Thanks to "Ol Shy & Bashful"'s
posting, I now can say I have had an auto to the ground. This one was so
quick I didn't have time to get scared.
--
Stuart Fields

"Toad-Man" wrote in message
1...
"Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote in
ups.com:

Old December 20th 05, 04:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

The OTHER Kevin in San Diego wrote:
was nothing but dumb luck. I'll
take luck over skill any time! ;-)

I'm hoping this one was related to models as well..

I would think so too

--

boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
Old December 20th 05, 04:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

Didn't you get the other post I made "immediately" after posting this one?

It was a sincere apology for not paying more attention to "which" newsgroup
I was responding to. And "yes," it was an RC model. Although I'd love to
see a full size bird do an autorotative split-S! ;-)

Fly Safe,
Steve R. (who's appropriately embarrassed!)

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote in
message ...
On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 00:37:11 GMT, "Steve R"
wrote:

I've done a bunch through the years. Actually, most of the "unexpected"
engine out auto's I've done were pretty much uneventul. Even entered a
couple of them from inverted but had enough altitude to deal with it.
Dropped the collective, hit throttle hold, and split S'd to upright and
put
the bird on the ground.

hehehe, you got hit with the inverse of what I did in
rec.models.rc.helicopter a few weeks back. This is the group where we
talk about full scale Steve, not the models.

Old December 20th 05, 07:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

The OTHER Kevin in San Diego wrote:

Yeah, I saw it, but about 2 mins after I posted.

No need to be embarassed. I had to double check the group name after
reading your post a few times.

And I was visualizing the maneuver. Later I saw it was for RC's but
have never seen one in person. There was a great video out there
somewhere which, to me, was awe inspiring. I don't know how that guy did
it but I was sitting on the edge of my chair.

--

boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
Old December 21st 05, 01:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

We were at the Spurling helicopter fly-in in Ok. and had finished flying for
the day and were sipping on some beer when some young guy with some lady in
what looked liked business attire, came out to the edge of the runway and
set a RC helo down and started fooling with it. As hard as a helicopter is
to fly with all of the butt feedback, we pretty much backed away a bit to
get out of the shrapnel zone of broken blades. Pretty soon the RC helo
lifted off and it became apparent that this guy had a smoke system on board.
Some of the maneuvers this guy did had all of the helo pilots that were
standing around bending and wiggling their hands trying to figure out just
what control inputs would be required to do what we were seeing. One of the
maneuvers was a backward flight up a 45 degree line performing rolls. A
split S auto would be a piece of cake for this guy. We later found out that
he was the current National Champion RC helo driver and the lady with him
was his corporate sponsor. Even tho this has been about three years ago, I
can remember my mouth hanging open and saying things like: "Holy schit did
you see that?" Until it got boring to repeat myself. We also found out
that his helicopter greatly exceeded the 10#/hp rule of thumb.

--
Stuart Fields
Experimental Helo magazine

www.vkss.com