Jeppesen Garmin Nav Updates

Old October 23rd 09, 06:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bob Noel[_6_]

Default Jeppesen Garmin Nav Updates

In article
,
" wrote:

Perhaps not. *But, at least it's been validated as airworthy.

Since when is software validated as airworthy?

Can you show me what the FAA standards are to make it "airworthy?

Software itself isn't really certified. The FAA certifies
the hardware and software together.

But RTCA DO-178B documents software considerations for
certification of software. DO-200A and DO-201A contain
standards, if you will, for data/databases used in avionics.

Note that these RTCA documents are not available for free.
Old October 23rd 09, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On Oct 23, 12:29*am, Bob Noel wrote:
In article
,

" wrote:
Perhaps not. *But, at least it's been validated as airworthy.

Since when is software validated as airworthy?

Can you show me what the FAA standards are to make it "airworthy?

Software itself isn't really certified. *The FAA certifies
the hardware and software together.

But RTCA DO-178B documents software considerations for
certification of software. *DO-200A and DO-201A contain
standards, if you will, for data/databases used in avionics.

Note that these RTCA documents are not available for free.

Ah, thanks Bob. What you bring out makes sense for the software
installed in IFR certified panel mounted GPS's.

But Sam was referring to computer based software in the beginning of
this "sub thread" (for lack of a better term) about the Aviation Trip
Pack program (ATP) not being validated as "airworthy".

I don't think there are any computer based "FAA approved software".

I know of references for FAA approved flight briefing sites, but no
reference to the software in itself. ATP reaches out to DUAT for the
briefing which makes my briefing through that software legal from what
I understand, but the software itself does not have a FAA stamp of
approval. Same for Golden Eagle software that accesses duats.com
website.

Hope this makes sense!
Old October 24th 09, 02:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On Oct 23, 7:00*pm, brian whatcott wrote:
wrote:
I don't think there are any computer based "FAA approved software".

I AM nit-picking here, no more....

The FAA offers for download to the people who need it, a PC application
which will compute the spherical geometry for the distance and angle
between two lat/lon coordinate pairs, or location of a point at a given
distance and bearing from a given lat/lon etc., etc.

If you need a standard computation for navaid siting etc., this is it.

Ahh, appreciate this kind of nit pick and distinction. I never knew
this, and probably 99.95 percent of the IFR rated pilot population are
not aware of this.

I was pretty much talking about the generic public domain software
such as ATP, Golden Eagle, AOPA flight planner (before they went to
web based) that interacted with whatever FAA website that provides the
approach charts.

Sounds to me the software you describe though wouldn't be used for
"just downloading approach charts", am I correct in this assumption?
Old October 29th 09, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Matt Barrow[_8_]

"Peter" wrote in message
Jeppesen have a captive market in all the commercial operators who fly
with Jepp charts.

Captive means there's no alternative. Commercial operators have alternatives
(NACO) but don't avail themselves of that option.

Why?

Old October 30th 09, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Matt Barrow[_8_]

"Peter" wrote in message

"Matt Barrow" wrote:

"Peter" wrote in message
. ..
Jeppesen have a captive market in all the commercial operators who fly
with Jepp charts.

Captive means there's no alternative. Commercial operators have
alternatives
(NACO) but don't avail themselves of that option.

Why?

NACO does USA only. There is a world outside the USA (if only a very
small and insignificant one I must admit ).

Correct....sorta.

Now, considering that only a tiny fraction of airlines and commercial
operators operate outside US borders, explain why the purely domestic
operators don't just go with the virtually free NACO option.

Old October 31st 09, 04:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mike Adams[_2_]

"Matt Barrow" wrote:

"Peter" wrote in message

Captive means there's no alternative. Commercial operators have
alternatives
(NACO) but don't avail themselves of that option.

Why?

NACO does USA only. There is a world outside the USA (if only a very
small and insignificant one I must admit ).

Correct....sorta.

Now, considering that only a tiny fraction of airlines and commercial
operators operate outside US borders, explain why the purely domestic
operators don't just go with the virtually free NACO option.

Another reason is that some airlines get a customized version of the charts from Jeppesen with the
company's own routes and procedures included, that are not part of the normal published set.

Mike

Old October 31st 09, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Matt Barrow[_8_]

"Peter" wrote in message

"Matt Barrow" wrote

NACO does USA only. There is a world outside the USA (if only a very
small and insignificant one I must admit ).

Correct....sorta.

Now, considering that only a tiny fraction of airlines and commercial
operators operate outside US borders

That is an amazing statement.

Fact.

Jeppesen Garmin Nav Updates Jas Piloting 0 October 11th 09 08:14 PM
jeppesen updates for the Garmin waas units me[_1_] Instrument Flight Rules 11 March 15th 07 03:09 AM
Garmin updates Jules Piloting 3 December 20th 06 08:09 PM
Garmin 430 Jeppesen Skybound updates John Doe Piloting 17 November 30th 05 04:50 AM
Garmin 430 Jeppesen Skybound updates John Doe Owning 17 November 30th 05 04:50 AM