King KX155 question

Old February 8th 06, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default King KX155 question

Flyers,

I have a Bendix-King KX155 which I use as my primary radio. Lately I have
major distortion only on certain frequencies. For example I frequently talk
to Atlantic City Approach on 134.25 and the reception is garbled. I have
limited data on some things since this is a new problem. But I *think*
switching radios does not always fix the problem. Sometimes it does and
sometimes it doesn't. I think they can hear me better then I can hear them.
It only seems to be frequencies above 130.xx. Lower frequencies are fine.
I assume I only have one antenna for both radios. Sorry for such scant
information. I will try and pin some of these variables down in the next
few days.

Any ideas?

Kobra

Old February 8th 06, 02:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I wouldn't bother trying to figure it out too much, as long as you can
describe the problem to the avionics shop. The radios really are black
boxes to most of us. I don't understand 1/2 of what my avionics guy
tells me anyway, and I have an undergrad in engineering.

-Robert

Old February 8th 06, 03:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

In article ,
Kobra wrote:
Flyers,

I have a Bendix-King KX155 which I use as my primary radio. Lately I have
major distortion only on certain frequencies. For example I frequently talk
to Atlantic City Approach on 134.25 and the reception is garbled. I have
limited data on some things since this is a new problem. But I *think*
switching radios does not always fix the problem. Sometimes it does and
sometimes it doesn't. I think they can hear me better then I can hear them.
It only seems to be frequencies above 130.xx. Lower frequencies are fine.
I assume I only have one antenna for both radios. Sorry for such scant
information. I will try and pin some of these variables down in the next
few days.

Any ideas?

Kobra

Antenna or Coax. Your avionics shop should be able to test that very quickly.

--
Steve Rubin / AE6CH / http://www.altdb.net/
Email: / N6441C / http://www.tch.org/~ser/
Old February 8th 06, 08:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Robert wrote

I don't understand 1/2 of what my avionics guy
tells me anyway, and I have an undergrad in engineering.

Maybe half of what your avionics guy tells you is BS.

Old February 8th 06, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

While you may have a single antenna for the nav portions of multiple
radios, I would bet that each comm radio has its own separate antenna.
When you get this sorted out, be sure to ask someone knowledgeable to
point out each antenna and its function.

Old February 8th 06, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Kobra wrote:
: Flyers,

: I have a Bendix-King KX155 which I use as my primary radio. Lately I have
: major distortion only on certain frequencies. For example I frequently talk
: to Atlantic City Approach on 134.25 and the reception is garbled. I have
: limited data on some things since this is a new problem. But I *think*
: switching radios does not always fix the problem. Sometimes it does and
: sometimes it doesn't. I think they can hear me better then I can hear them.
: It only seems to be frequencies above 130.xx. Lower frequencies are fine.
: I assume I only have one antenna for both radios. Sorry for such scant
: information. I will try and pin some of these variables down in the next
: few days.

I had a similafr problem with my #1 KX155. Bad disgtortion on PVD approach,
135.4, OK on other lower freqs. Turned out to be a bad connection to the
whip-style antenna.
--
Aaron C.

Old February 8th 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I had some distortion problems on my COM radios. One was when the audio
panel switch was in the BOTH position, COM2's audio was distorted and had
low volume. I avoid using the BOTH position now. This is easy to do since
COM1 is and SL30 and can monitor its standby frequency while talking on the
primary freq.
The other problem was also in the BOTH position when COM1 and COM2 were
tuned to nearby frequencies. The sidetone was extremely garbled when
transmitting. Changing the non-transmitting radio to a different frequency
or turning down its volume bypassed the problem. Of course not using the
BOTH position would also have avoided the problem.

Best Regards,
Mike
http://photoshow.comcast.net/mikenoel

Old February 9th 06, 05:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Maybe half of what your avionics guy tells you is BS.

Maybe, but how the hell would I know?

Old February 9th 06, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
ups.com...
Maybe half of what your avionics guy tells you is BS.

Maybe, but how the hell would I know?

You don't have a well-calibrated BS detector?