expense analysis

Old August 23rd 03, 03:47 PM
Rosspilot

Default expense analysis

I did some analysis of the data I keep (which on the airplane is EVERYTHING)
and thought the readers here might find some of it interesting.

I added up everything I have EVER spent on this 1967 C-172H (acquisition,
upgrades, annuals, fuel, insurance, repairs, parking, new headsets and GPS,
paint job, detailing, new glass, Strikefinder, etc. In short, EVERYTHING spent
on the plane. It is (as of now) $94,900.00.

I have owned the plane for 5.5 years. That means I have paid $17,250 per year.

I have flown the airplane 550 hrs. My cost per flight hour is $172. Maybe
that's where the "172" came from G.

Since I use the airplane in my business, there are significant tax
considerations that offset that cost, BUT

Considering all that goes with owning an airplane, for the joy of it, for the
freedom it represents, the attainment of a lifelong ambition and dream, for the
utilitarian purpose that it serves, for the convenience, and mostly for the
sense of connection between man and a flying machine, it's a HUGE bargain.

Just returned from my third round trip NY-Tampa flight. Left the day of the
blackout at 6:45 AM. Didn't even know about it till arrival in Florida at 4
PM. I am SO glad I decided not to go commercial . . . I would have been caught
in the crush, and sleeping on the airport floor somewhere.

Fuel consumption over the 19.7 (tach) and 23.3 (Hobbs) time was 7.40 gal/hr.

www.Rosspilot.com

Old August 23rd 03, 04:30 PM
Montblack

Sell the plane for $47,500 and your cost of ownership would be down to $86
per flight hour. Cost per year - $8,625 per year. g

(tax considerations are a bonus)

Now ...what to buy next?

--
Montblack

("Rosspilot" wrote)
I did some analysis of the data I keep (which on the airplane is

EVERYTHING)
and thought the readers here might find some of it interesting.

I added up everything I have EVER spent on this 1967 C-172H (acquisition,
upgrades, annuals, fuel, insurance, repairs, parking, new headsets and

GPS,
paint job, detailing, new glass, Strikefinder, etc. In short, EVERYTHING

spent
on the plane. It is (as of now) $94,900.00.

I have owned the plane for 5.5 years. That means I have paid $17,250 per

year.

I have flown the airplane 550 hrs. My cost per flight hour is $172.

Maybe
that's where the "172" came from G.

Since I use the airplane in my business, there are significant tax
considerations that offset that cost, BUT

snip

Old August 23rd 03, 04:40 PM
Rosspilot

Sell the plane for $47,500 and your cost of ownership would be down to $86
per flight hour. Cost per year - $8,625 per year. g

That's the thing . . . I have NO desire to sell her and go to a different
plane.
Yes, sometimes I wish it would go faster, or could carry more, but the vast
majority of my flying is taking off and landing at the same airport within 1.5
and 100 nm of home. She's a great platform for my photography, and I seldom
have more than one on board with me. The plane is plenty for my wife and I (no
kids) to take day trips. And I KNOW this plane. I look forward to the day when
I can upgrade the 145hp O-300.

www.Rosspilot.com

Old August 23rd 03, 09:34 PM
Tom S.

"Rosspilot" wrote in message
I did some analysis of the data I keep (which on the airplane is

EVERYTHING)
and thought the readers here might find some of it interesting.

I added up everything I have EVER spent on this 1967 C-172H (acquisition,
upgrades, annuals, fuel, insurance, repairs, parking, new headsets and

GPS,
paint job, detailing, new glass, Strikefinder, etc. In short, EVERYTHING

spent
on the plane. It is (as of now) $94,900.00.

I have owned the plane for 5.5 years. That means I have paid $17,250 per

year.

I have flown the airplane 550 hrs. My cost per flight hour is $172.

Maybe
that's where the "172" came from G.

How much did you buy it for and how much could you sell it for today?

Airplanes are not depreciating in cost anymore (like automobiles). They cost
more used than they did new.

Old August 23rd 03, 11:09 PM
Rosspilot

How much did you buy it for and how much could you sell it for today?

I paid $28,500. Since owning it I have added:

Strikefinder $5000
Whelan Comet Strobes $1400
Garmin 327X Transponder $2400
New Paint and Glass $12,000
Major Engine Repair $13,000
Garmin GPSMap 196 $1000
Bose X Headset $1000
and many, many, many other smaller items (step kit, new vents and visors, EGT
guage, carb temp guage, 4-place intercom,
inertial shoulder harnesses, firebottle, and, well, you get the idea

I am TOLD (and using the many, many aircraft evaluative services and websites
including AOPA's and others) it would retail around $42,000 in the condition
and with the time and equipment it has. I wouldn't even consider it.

www.Rosspilot.com

Old August 23rd 03, 11:47 PM
Dan Luke

"Jay Honeck" wrote:
I couldn't of said it better, Lee.

Ahem. That's "I couldn't HAVE said it better, Lee."

Whew! My faith is restored.

Old August 23rd 03, 11:50 PM
Dan Luke

"Rosspilot" wrote:
I did some analysis of the data I keep (which on the airplane is

EVERYTHING)
and thought the readers here might find some of it interesting.

Indeed. Thanks, Lee.
I don't have the nerve to do the same for mine. I'm sure it's, ah... a
bit more.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old August 24th 03, 12:51 AM
Ray Andraka

Or, as I tell the people who comment that it must be an expensive hobby, if you
want to do it bad enough you find a way. It might be not driving a late model
SUV, or not buying a McMansion for a house, dropping the 100 channel cable
subscription for basic services etc. It's all in the priorities. I know plenty
of people here in Rhode Island who spend far more on their boats that rarely if
ever leave the bay and are out of the water 9 mos of the year than I do on a
well maintained Cherokee Six. Many of these are the very same people who
comment on flying being a "rich mans's" hobby.

Jay Honeck wrote:

Considering all that goes with owning an airplane, for the joy of it, for

the
freedom it represents, the attainment of a lifelong ambition and dream,

for the
utilitarian purpose that it serves, for the convenience, and mostly for

the
sense of connection between man and a flying machine, it's a HUGE bargain.

I couldn't of said it better, Lee.

To everyone who always says "flying is too expensive", I say you just
haven't run the numbers. Compared to every other form of
transportation/avocation/hobby/profession/addiction, aircraft ownership and
flying wins, hand's down...

There's just nothing else like it...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Old August 24th 03, 01:28 AM
Tom S.

"Rosspilot" wrote in message
How much did you buy it for and how much could you sell it for today?

I paid $28,500. Since owning it I have added:

Strikefinder $5000
Whelan Comet Strobes $1400
Garmin 327X Transponder $2400
New Paint and Glass $12,000
Major Engine Repair $13,000
Garmin GPSMap 196 $1000
Bose X Headset $1000
and many, many, many other smaller items (step kit, new vents and visors,

EGT
guage, carb temp guage, 4-place intercom,
inertial shoulder harnesses, firebottle, and, well, you get the idea

I am TOLD (and using the many, many aircraft evaluative services and

websites
including AOPA's and others) it would retail around $42,000 in the

condition
and with the time and equipment it has. I wouldn't even consider it.

Paid $28.5K, added major equipment of $33.8, now can sell for $42K.

Wouldn't it be great if you could do the same thing with your CAR.

Recalculate your costs with the final sell value and see what your hourly
comes to.

Old August 24th 03, 01:55 AM
Rosspilot

Recalculate your costs with the final sell value and see what your hourly
comes to.

drops to $96/hr

www.Rosspilot.com