Lightspeed Comes Through!

Old August 22nd 03, 01:44 PM
Jay Honeck

I'm really not arguing with you, guys; to each his own. But when I hit the
ANR switch on my Telex (which has excellent passive performance) it turns
thunder into a whisper; I swear I almost hear the angels singing.
Amazing...

On a flight to Minneapolis last weekend, I kept hearing a strange rattle.
It was driving me crazy after a while, because I couldn't locate the sound.
It didn't sound like an engine or prop problem, but nevertheless I was
concerned.

Strictly by accident, I bumped the key chain hanging from the ignition. The
rattle stopped.

I was hearing the keys on the keychain jingle softly against each other,
with a 6-cylinder, 540 cubic inch piston engine thundering away two feet in
front of me... Truly remarkable.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 22nd 03, 02:09 PM
Jay Honeck

Jay, do a test... Borrow a portable bottle from someone... Go out at night
and fly around for 45 minutes at 8500 not using the O2... Then, turn it on
and while looking right at some lights of the ground put the cannula in

your
nose and take a half dozen good sniffs... Unless you are an olympic

caliber
triathelete, you are in for an experience...

I presume the lights get brighter/clearer?

I have noticed that we tend to get more tired when flying at those
altitudes, (kinda nice when the kids nod off!) but I haven't been able to
detect any other side effects. We do keep an eye on our fingernails, and
try to watch each other for signs of hypoxia, but to date haven't seen any.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 22nd 03, 03:25 PM
Dennis O'Connor

The problem with looking at your fingernails is that the first thing to go
is color discrimination...Right after that judgement goes...
Watching the guys in the high altitude chamber is hilarious... They think
they are just fine, and they are drunkenly slurred, staggering, unable to
write, etc...

newsCo1b.225121$uu5.42346@sccrnsc04...

Old August 22nd 03, 03:41 PM
Montblack

$375.00 - $400.00

http://www.flightstat.nonin.com/

http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/cont...lightstat.html

http://makeashorterlink.com/?K1C922CA5
(planeandpilotmag.com/content/2003/may/tt ........)

http://www.avshop.com/catalog/produc...productid=2190

--
Montblack

("Dennis O'Connor" wrote)

Old August 22nd 03, 03:42 PM
Dan Luke

"Thomas Borchert" wrote:
Don't forget the "You can't hear the engine anymore" argument. Jeeze!

It must be the one quote I like from Richard Collins: "ANR is the
greatest thing to GA since seat cushions."

Yep, but isn't it interesting that some people still don't like ANR? One
wonders if there might not be a physiological reason. Perhaps some people
have particularly sensitive hearing that can distinguish the
not-quite-perfect mirror image phasing that ANR uses.

As for myself, after becoming accustomed to ANR, if I had to give it up I
have no doubt I would fly less. As Jay said, a long cross country without
ANR is a tiresome chore.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old August 22nd 03, 04:05 PM
Thomas Borchert

Dan,

Yep, but isn't it interesting that some people still don't like ANR?

Well, I don't know. They must be a REALLY small minority. I'd guess
you'd find a minority for everything on the Internet.

Coming back to the original thread subject: Heck, you even find a
minority that constantly breaks their headsets gd&r

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 22nd 03, 04:37 PM
Ray Andraka

It may well be. I haven't tried an aviation ANR headset in the plane,
tried several at shows though, and they all seem to do it. I have tried
some of those low cost ANR headbands Brookstone used to sell in the
airplane, and I got the same effect there. So far, the relative noisyness
of non-ANR sets has not bothered me enough to get over the discomfort
I find with ANR sets.. It is reassuring to know that at least one other
person has experienced the same discomfort. I was beginning to think
it was all in my head...

Ron Natalie wrote:

"Ray Andraka" wrote in message ...
I don't care for ANR sets. Every one that I have tried gives me a
feeling of pressure, sort of like a blocked ear. I don't know why, it
shouldn't, but I find it very uncomfortable.

I believe this is the effect of the attenuation of certain frequencies. I have
noticed as well, not so much in the airplane, but it's almost always present
when trying themout in a noisy ambient environment (like the Oshkosh exhibit
halls). It's either not present in the plane or I've gotten used to it.

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Old August 22nd 03, 05:09 PM
Dan Luke

"Thomas Borchert" wrote:
Coming back to the original thread subject: Heck, you even find a
minority that constantly breaks their headsets gd&r

Did I mention I sometimes dangle mine out the window when I fly?

Old August 22nd 03, 06:03 PM
Jon Woellhaf

As a passenger on a flight back home (Denver BJC) from Quincy, IL (UIN) one
night at 8000 MSL I experimented with supplemental O2 use. I used none for
the first hour. Everything seemed perfectly normal. Then I put on a cannula.
Immediately, with the first couple sniffs, the pale pink instrument lighting
became bright red. It made a believer out of me.

Old August 22nd 03, 08:09 PM
Ron Natalie

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
Blue fingernails are one of the *last* signs of hypoxia. Unless you had a
CO leak or something like that, you'd never have blue fingernails at modest
altitudes, even though using oxygen will significantly improve your state of
mind.

Actually, if you have CO in the cockpit, you won't get cyanosis either, dang
insidous thing about CO poisoning is that it leaves the tissues nice and red.