Skyhawk vs. Mooney

Old May 9th 07, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
kontiki

Default Skyhawk vs. Mooney

Grant wrote:
I was simply wondering if someone could break down the cost difference
of a 172 and M20. Obviously maintenance on a mooney is going to be a
little more and the fuel burn is a gallon or so more, so just some
thoughts.

Fuel burn is actually less for the total trip since it flys a lot faster
than a 172.

Old May 9th 07, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Grant[_2_]

Ok, ok, all sounds good, now I'm wondering how a Cardinal sizes up to
all of this. I kinda like what they have to offer. But maybe I'm
naive, good chance.

Old May 9th 07, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

Dave Butler wrote:
Robert M. Gary wrote:

3) Also, if you fly more than 100 hours a year, you will end up having
to do an annual every 100 hours. There is an AD that requires all
flight control connections and gear sections to be lubed every 100
hours.

What AD is that? I'm not aware of that. Is it model-specific?

If that's true that is a deal breaker. Take the plane apart every 100
hours for a lube job? Pathetic.

Old May 9th 07, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

Default fuel burn was Skyhawk vs. Mooney

Tri-Pacer wrote:

" Depends on the Mooney. The M20C has about the same full burn as the

Skyhawk (8 gal/hr) but does

How many of you guys really see 8 GPH with your O-320s.

I'd like to know your secrets.

I see 8 gph with my 520. Great for fartin' around the local area at 150
MPH indicated.

Old May 9th 07, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Robert M. Gary wrote:
[Mooneys] There is an AD that requires all flight control connections
and gear sections to be lubed every 100 hours. There is really no way
to do this without totally taking the plane apart (figure 10 hours of
your time to remove all the panels unless you have a one-piece belly).

I've worked with (stationary) machines that had several places that
needed lubrication. Many of them had a couple of panels with several
grease fittings on them, and metal tubing to connect the fittings to
the bearings. That way you didn't have to crawl all over the machine
to lube it - you just worked your way down the fittings, giving N
squirts per fitting.

Would it even be possible to install something like that on a plane?
Or are the places that need lubrication such that it would be difficult
to connect the lines to them? For instance, most bushings and bearings
would be fairly easy to connect a line to. But it would be pretty hard
to connect a line to something like a clevis on the end of a cable.
Even if you couldn't connect to everything, connecting to enough stuff
that you wouldn't have to remove as many panels might be a win.

Matt Roberds

Old May 9th 07, 06:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On May 8, 12:00 pm, Dave Butler wrote:
Robert M. Gary wrote:
3) Also, if you fly more than 100 hours a year, you will end up having
to do an annual every 100 hours. There is an AD that requires all
flight control connections and gear sections to be lubed every 100
hours.

What AD is that? I'm not aware of that. Is it model-specific?

The only ones on my list a
inspection of fuel injector fuel lines required by AD 2002-26-01
inspection of Bendix magneto ignition switch required by AD 76-07-12
inspection of Bendix magneto impulse coupling required by AD 96-12-07

Dave

I've got the records at home so I can send you the AD that requires
the lube. Its all Mooneys between C and K I believe.The title of the
AD actually makes it sound like you just have to check the tension on
the landing gear but when you read it it also says you need to lube
the entire system and the flight control systems (which requires
access through out the belly and much of the wings, which is about 400
screws for me).

The fuel injector AD is no more as I recall. Its been updated to only
be annual. I don't have the mag AD because I have a blue dot on the
back of my switch. That AD says it can be signed by a private pilot
though. I have slick mags so I don't have much in the way of ADs for
that.

-Robert

Old May 9th 07, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On May 9, 9:27 am, Grant wrote:
Ok, ok, all sounds good, now I'm wondering how a Cardinal sizes up to
all of this. I kinda like what they have to offer. But maybe I'm
naive, good chance.

If you are looking at Cards make sure you get the O-360 180hp model.
The first year they made a 150hp model that isn't able to get out of
its own way.

-Robert

Old May 9th 07, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On May 9, 10:18 am, wrote:
Robert M. Gary wrote:

[...]

Many Mooney owners elect to remove all the individual panels on the
belly and replace it with a single piece of metal or plastic. There
are several STC providers of such "one piece belly"s. I believe some
of them even have 1/4 turn screws. However, from the Mooney's I've
owned and taught in, most have not made that change.

-Robert

Old May 9th 07, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On May 9, 9:59 am, Newps wrote:
Dave Butler wrote:
Robert M. Gary wrote:

3) Also, if you fly more than 100 hours a year, you will end up having
to do an annual every 100 hours. There is an AD that requires all
flight control connections and gear sections to be lubed every 100
hours.

What AD is that? I'm not aware of that. Is it model-specific?

If that's true that is a deal breaker. Take the plane apart every 100
hours for a lube job? Pathetic.

Your Bonanza doesn't require lube every 100 hours? You probably have
less panels to pull but most high performance singles require lube and
landing gear inspection every 100 hours one AD or another.

-Robert

Old May 9th 07, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter R.

On 5/9/2007 1:40:13 PM, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:

You probably have
less panels to pull but most high performance singles require lube and
landing gear inspection every 100 hours one AD or another.

My '73 V35b does not.

--
Peter