Burglary

Old May 11th 07, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Don Tuite

Default Burglary

On Fri, 11 May 2007 07:07:51 -0700, C J Campbell

On 2007-05-09 08:15:59 -0700, NVArt said:

Had the dastardly happen a couple nights ago. Garmin 196, two David
Clarks, eyeglasses. In my hangar, too.
Looks like a pro job. No vandalism apparent. Plane was unlocked with
key in ignition. And left that way by perp(s).
The question: Would any of you have an A&P do a thorough check of the
bird or would do as I think I might and just do a more than usual
preflight?

I was just released from a jury yesterday where we tried a burglar. He
had stolen some clothing, belt buckles, and knives, total value less
than $250.

Despite the fact that an eyewitness who knew him personally (it's a
small town) clearly identified him coming out of the house, he was seen
giving belt buckles to his buddies at the soup kitchen, and he still
had one of the knives and one of the belt buckles on his person when
apprehended by the police -- it took two solid days of deliberation to
convince the whole jury that this guy was guilty. In fact, the original
vote was 10-2 to acquit. The last holdout never was convinced that the
case was proved, but finally voted with the rest.

I checked out his record after I got home. The guy has a long criminal
record of several burglaries, break-ins, petty thefts, etc. The thing
that threw the jury off was the guy had dyed his hair during the
burglary, but by the time he went back to trial his hair was its normal
color. But the neighbor who had seen him come out of the house had
known this guy for more than three years, regularly spoke with him, saw
him frequently around town, and was able to identify him no matter what
his hair color was. Even so, when the witness said he had white tips on
his hair at the time of the burglary, the fact that his hair was now
all black (4 months later) was enough to confuse a majority of the
jury. It just did not seem to occur to these bozos that people can
change their hair color. His booking photo, by the way, did show white
tips on his hair.

Much goes on below the surface in Forks. insert smiley

Don

Old May 11th 07, 11:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dan Luke

"C J Campbell" wrote:

Despite the fact that an eyewitness who knew him personally (it's a small
town) clearly identified him coming out of the house, he was seen giving
belt buckles to his buddies at the soup kitchen, and he still had one of the
knives and one of the belt buckles on his person when apprehended by the
police -- it took two solid days of deliberation to convince the whole jury
that this guy was guilty. In fact, the original vote was 10-2 to acquit. The
last holdout never was convinced that the case was proved, but finally voted
with the rest.

Amazin', ain't it?

I was on a panel trying a DUI case in which the accused had driven her car
into a tree. When emergency responders arrived, the car was on fire and she
was asleep on the ground some distance away, uninjured.

When the state trooper interviewed her, she admitted to having been drinking
and she filled the trooper's car with alcohol fumes. She was unable to
complete a field sobriety test, actually falling down at one point. This was
an hour after the accident.

She refused a breathalyzer test, but was charged with DUI based on the other
evidence.

After a full afternoon of deliberation (I guess juries in such cases don't get
as much time as felony juries) the panel was deadlocked 6 to 6 and she walked.
One of my fellow jurors remarked that field sobriety tests are "tricked up to
make people look drunk" and should be disregarded. When I reminded him of the
trooper's other testimony, he said the trooper was probably lying because he
would "get in trouble" if the woman wasn't convicted. Five other jurors found
this argument convincing.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old May 12th 07, 02:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2007-05-11 08:10:30 -0700, Don Tuite

On 2007-05-09 08:15:59 -0700, NVArt said:

[...]

You know, that Forks is a real hotbed. Amazing they haven't made TV
series there yet. Maybe because places that get something like 100" of
rain a year make dismal TV.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old May 12th 07, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2007-05-11 15:15:13 -0700, "Dan Luke" said:

"C J Campbell" wrote:

[...]

Sounds like it was truly a jury of her peers. :-)

Old May 12th 07, 03:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2007-05-11 14:22:11 -0700, "Graverobber"
said:

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs...73280762454896

Nice.

Hangin's too good for them.

Old May 12th 07, 01:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Spera

Default Burglary - Getting way off topic - Read with caution

After a full afternoon of deliberation (I guess juries in such cases don't get
as much time as felony juries) the panel was deadlocked 6 to 6 and she walked.
One of my fellow jurors remarked that field sobriety tests are "tricked up to
make people look drunk" and should be disregarded. When I reminded him of the
trooper's other testimony, he said the trooper was probably lying because he
would "get in trouble" if the woman wasn't convicted. Five other jurors found
this argument convincing.

And when she does it again and kills a carload of innocent folks, can we
also try the holdout jurors? I guess driving off the road and running
into a stationary tree was not considered as evidence by these nit wits.

They should video tape these tests and let the jury decide. That way the
officer's prejudice would be removed to a great extent (I suppose you
could place the camera on an unedited video in a way to affect the
outcome - maybe). Then again, if running into a tree does not convince
you, a video of someone falling down drunk may not either.

Be careful out there,
Mike

Old May 15th 07, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On May 9, 8:54 am, "Peter R." wrote:
On 5/9/2007 11:15:56 AM, NVArt wrote:

Had the dastardly happen a couple nights ago. Garmin 196, two David
Clarks, eyeglasses. In my hangar, too.
Looks like a pro job. No vandalism apparent. Plane was unlocked with
key in ignition. And left that way by perp(s).

Regarding the above, I would recommend immediately creating an eBay "Favorite
Search" that emails you when auctions appear with the above items.

The time it takes to do this is worth the potential payoff of finding your
goods and perhaps the perps who did this.

See this Smoking Gun link for a story about a teacher who stole an elementary
student's coat and the mother who just happened to stumble upon the auction
for it out on eBay that resulted in the teacher being arrested:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive...coat1.html?lin...

--
Peter

The story sounds fishy. The seller is still an active seller, still
selling clothes. Either she's still selling stuff kids leave in class
or there is something wrong with the story.

-Robert

Old May 15th 07, 07:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter R.

On 5/15/2007 2:14:47 PM, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:

The story sounds fishy. The seller is still an active seller, still
selling clothes. Either she's still selling stuff kids leave in class
or there is something wrong with the story.

eBay has been showing her ID as "Not a registered user" now since that story
first broke. It looks as if eBay suspended her when they learned of this.

--
Peter
Old May 18th 07, 11:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On May 15, 11:45 am, "Peter R." wrote:
On 5/15/2007 2:14:47 PM, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:

The story sounds fishy. The seller is still an active seller, still
selling clothes. Either she's still selling stuff kids leave in class
or there is something wrong with the story.

eBay has been showing her ID as "Not a registered user" now since that story
first broke. It looks as if eBay suspended her when they learned of this.

--
Peter

Yet the user has numous active auctions. Odd. She appears to sell lots
and lots of clothes. You wonder if they call came from the school's
lost-and-found.

-robert