Repaving evicts us from our hangar?

Old May 16th 07, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Whiting

Default Repaving evicts us from our hangar?

Jay Masino wrote:
I was curious if anyone else has experienced this... Our airport is
having it's ramp area re-paved. Because of scheduling, they're starting
earlier than expected. 4 buildings of T-hangars have to be out by this
Monday (the 21st). Actually, you have a choice of being tiedown outside
for 2 months, or be trapped inside your hangar for 2 months. My plane
lived outside for a lot of years, but that was considerably inland. My
current airport is on the coast (Ocean City). I hate the idea of
sitting outside for that length of time, within a 1/4 mile of the ocean.
What do you guys think? I'm leaning towards leaving it in the hangar,
and starting some projects that would disable her, anyway.

Two months to pave a ramp? Either you have the biggest ramp known to
man or the slowest paving contractor.

Matt
Old May 16th 07, 10:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
john smith[_2_]

In article ,
Darrel Toepfer wrote:

B A R R Y wrote:

Jay Masino wrote:
I was curious if anyone else has experienced this...

Two years ago, everyone got kicked off a local AIRPORT (not hangar),
because the only runway was being repaved.

Thats when people start flying off the taxiway...

That's right, only the runway has X's on it.
That's what I used when the runway at the airport where the airplane I
was flying was being reconstructed.
Some people got upset and said it wasn't permitted but couldn't back up
what they were saying with any regulation. The airport manager didn't
complain.
Old May 16th 07, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
John Galban

On May 16, 7:55 am, Jay Honeck wrote:

This same thing happened to us last fall, when the city FINALLY (after
10 years of complaining) repaved the taxiways around our hangars. But
we were only "on the street" for about 2 weeks. What the heck are
they doing for two months?

Our airport just finished resurfacing every square inch of pavement
(runways, taxiways and all ramps). It took about 5 weeks for the
entire project. There wasn't much inconvenience because they
orchestrated a well organized ballet of aircraft around the ramp.
They divided the ramp into several segments and arranged for the
plane owners on ramps that were about to be paved, to move to the most
recently paved ramp area. With about 500 planes on the field, that
was quite a trick, but everything ran like clockwork. Plane owners
who couldn't or wouldn't move had their planes moved for them, for the
reasonable fee of $100, round trip. Hangar residents were only
trapped for about 4 days, if they han't relocated ahead of time.

I had my doubts about the whole thing, but it worked out pretty
well. The advance planning I witnessed at my local aiport was far
superior to that of a certain FSS contractor that I know of.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old May 17th 07, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Masino

Matt Whiting wrote:
Two months to pave a ramp? Either you have the biggest ramp known to
man or the slowest paving contractor.

Well, they're not just re-paving. They're breaking up and removing all
the old asphalt, digging down 12 inches (reportedly), adding a layer
of gravel, and then re-paving. It's a fairly large ramp, but I think
all these other steps are what's making it a big deal.

Never the less, the Town of Ocean City seemed fairly indifferent to the
convenience of the hangar tenants. I've heard some information to the
contrary over the last 24 hours. We'll see.

--

Jay Masino "Home is where My critters are"
http://www.JayMasino.com
Old May 17th 07, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Noel

In article . com,
Jay Honeck wrote:

At the end of this month we're out again, as the city willl be putting
new concrete floors in our T-hangars. Our floor is pea gravel (which
we covered with astroturf years ago, to keep the dust down), and
concrete will be nice -- but it means we have to move EVERYTHING out
of the hangar!

As anyone who has ever visited our hangar knows, that's gonna take a
moving truck to accomplish.

just one?

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

Old May 17th 07, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Whiting

Jay Masino wrote:
Matt Whiting wrote:
Two months to pave a ramp? Either you have the biggest ramp known to
man or the slowest paving contractor.

Well, they're not just re-paving. They're breaking up and removing all
the old asphalt, digging down 12 inches (reportedly), adding a layer
of gravel, and then re-paving. It's a fairly large ramp, but I think
all these other steps are what's making it a big deal.

Never the less, the Town of Ocean City seemed fairly indifferent to the
convenience of the hangar tenants. I've heard some information to the
contrary over the last 24 hours. We'll see.

Even so, there is no reason this can't be done in stages that would
prevent having to have everyone locked out for 2 months. A smart
contractor would do this in stages anyway so that all of his personell
can be working at the same time - demolition, debris removal, adding the
new gravel and paving. If he does all of the demolition, and then all
of the debris hauling, and then adds all of the gravel, and then does
all of the paving last, that is just very poor construction management
and utilization of equipment and personnel. If they run all of these
concurrently in close sequence, then they should be able to pass each
hangar in a couple weeks or less and allow the other hangars to remain
in use.

Matt
Old May 17th 07, 02:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Darrel Toepfer

john smith wrote:

Thats when people start flying off the taxiway...

That's right, only the runway has X's on it.
That's what I used when the runway at the airport where the airplane I
was flying was being reconstructed.
Some people got upset and said it wasn't permitted but couldn't back up
what they were saying with any regulation. The airport manager didn't
complain.

For Jay, you now have Runway XX Left and XX Right depending on direction of
travel... Geaux practice on the narrowest paved strips you can find if it
makes you nervous and also do you short field TO/LD till you feel
comfortable...
Old May 17th 07, 02:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Carter[_1_]

I made the mistake 20 years ago of selling my Funk before I had a
replacement lined up. By the time I was narrowing down the choices, other
things came up to soak up the funds. I learned never, never sell your
aircraft until you know which one will replace it and are ready to buy.

I suspect you may be facing the opportunity to make that same mistake.

--
Jim Carter
Rogers, Arkansas
"Jay Masino" wrote in message
. ..
All good points. Actually, after I posted this, my mechanic pointed out
that a greater risk might be dust and debris from them ripping up the
old asphalt. They're supposedly going down 12" and starting with a new
foundation. Luckily, they're not doing in front of the hangars,
directly. But the ripped up transient ramp will block access to the
runway if I stay.

I guess after 10 years of parking outside, I've become spoiled being
inside for the last 5. I'll probably just start a few projects that the
airplane has needed for a while. It'll be part of my A&P mechanic
"training".

It's also a good test to see if I can actually go 2 months without
flying. I've tinkered with the idea of getting out of the hobby (after
20 years).

Old May 17th 07, 12:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
B A R R Y[_2_]

john smith wrote:

That's right, only the runway has X's on it.
That's what I used when the runway at the airport where the airplane I
was flying was being reconstructed.
Some people got upset and said it wasn't permitted but couldn't back up
what they were saying with any regulation.

At our airport, they backed it up with parked earth moving equipment.

for the hangar queens [email protected] Soaring 15 December 8th 06 03:16 AM
t-hangar and ice Bob Noel Owning 13 October 19th 04 09:59 PM
Hangar at FFZ [email protected] Aviation Marketplace 1 August 18th 04 09:40 PM
FFZ Hangar [email protected] Aerobatics 0 August 16th 04 12:55 AM
Hangar Space Available at 47N john price Piloting 0 December 11th 03 12:12 PM