PLANE FLIES FOR TWO HOURS WITH WING MISSING

Old August 19th 05, 08:11 PM
Richard Riley

Default PLANE FLIES FOR TWO HOURS WITH WING MISSING

And here I think it's a problem when I lose a fuel cap...

http://tinyurl.com/7jw5b

===========================
PLANE FLIES FOR TWO HOURS WITH WING MISSING

09:30 - 19 August 2005
A Dozy (Ireland) pilot flew his plane for two hours before he noticed
that five-and-a-half feet of one wing had been torn off by a tree on
take-off. The Irish pilot told investigators he thought he had been
"struck by a little bird" on takeoff in his five-seater Cessna 210.

But despite two of the three passengers being top flight engineers on
their way to fix a Boeing 767, no one noticed that half the left wing,
containing one fuel tank, was missing. The unnamed pilot was forced to
make an emergency landing at Jersey International Airport two hours
later after he finally spotted the fuel gauge plummeting towards empty.

The drama unfolded as the Cessna took off from Brittas House Airstrip,
18 miles east of Shannon in Ireland last Friday.

As the small aircraft - bound for Lisbon in Portugal - left the runway
it collided with treetops which ripped off a 5ft 7ins section of the
left wing. The fuel tank was later found on the ground - back in
Ireland.

Jersey International Airport was alerted and air traffic controllers
guided the damaged plane to safety.

A spokesman for the airport said: "We were amazed it had managed to fly
as long as it had, it was in a real state when it came in.

"The pilot was the most shocked of us all as he had not realised the
extent of the damage while he was flying."

Old August 19th 05, 09:07 PM
Rich S.

"Richard Riley" wrote in message
oups.com...
And here I think it's a problem when I lose a fuel cap...

'Tis one of the pleasures of flyin' after ye've had a tot or two of the
Irish. Leetle things don't bother you near so much, don't ye know.

Rich S.

Old August 19th 05, 10:41 PM
Richard Riley

And the wing twern't missin' atall. It was sittin as nice as can be
off the departure end o' Brittas House airstrip...

OTOH, he had more wing left than this guy

http://www.f-16.net/varia_article8.html

Old August 20th 05, 12:30 AM

I don't believe any of it. Five feet off a 210's wing
means crash, now. Aileron gone and everything. The fuel tank is inboard
of that section, anyway, unless he had Flint aux tip tanks. The whole
story stinks.

Dan

Old August 20th 05, 03:20 AM
Rich S.

"jc" wrote in message
.. .

Pics

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ill.../ph//my_photos

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cmf...loon/my_photos

Ennybody else notice that is a turbine-powered 210? Am I living in
yesteryear? I didn't know that a turboprop was an option on a 210.

Rich "Shaking my head" S.

Old August 20th 05, 06:52 AM
Roger

On 19 Aug 2005 19:12:02 -0700, "Harry K"

I don't believe any of it. Five feet off a 210's wing
means crash, now. Aileron gone and everything. The fuel tank is inboard
of that section, anyway, unless he had Flint aux tip tanks. The whole
story stinks.

Dan

I have to agree. Even assuming it could remain in the air (pics look
like it would and I don't think that is 5 1/2 ft missing), there would
be drastic trim problems. That the pilot and passengers would fly that
long without noticing odd flight characteristics and noone would glance

The 210 flys like a truck and can haul just about as much. They might
not notice.

out the window and "say old chap, I do believe we are missing
something".

Looks to me like he only lost a wing tip and the leading edge is a
little frayed.

Doesn't look like a turboprop though. Those look like normal stacks
to me.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Harry K

Old August 20th 05, 12:58 PM
Flyingmonk

Harry K wrote:
pics look like it would and I don't think that is 5 1/2 ft missing), If you look closely at pic 100-0491, the first picture, you will see that about 3' of the aileron is missing and the wing tip extension accounts for the other 2-1/2' .

Bryan

Old August 20th 05, 05:11 PM
Drew Dalgleish

Doesn't look like a turboprop though. Those look like normal stacks
to me.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Looks to me that the prop is fully feathered. Would that not indicate
that it's a turbine?