"Are you worried about all those non-green colors on the radar?"

Old May 25th 06, 01:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default "Are you worried about all those non-green colors on the radar?"

Dan Luke wrote:

There is a real chance consumers will react to both with a big yawn.

Home videotape recording was a revolutionary product that everyone wanted.
On the other hand, the new DVD formats offer so small an increment in
display quality over a good 480-P player on an HDTV screen, I think few
people will care enough to upgrade. At least they can afford to wait and
see which new format survives.

Once you see a Hi Def DVD properly connected to a compliant HDV set, you
won't consider the difference between that and up-converted 480P, to be
a "yawn."
Old May 25th 06, 01:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Sam Spade wrote:

Once you see a Hi Def DVD properly connected to a compliant HDV set, you
won't consider the difference between that and up-converted 480P, to be
a "yawn."

OT, but I am definitely looking forward to this. Problem is, there are two
emerging formats of hi-def DVD and one will probably be the proverbial
technological dead-end. If you don't mind, I think I am going to sit on
the fence for a little while.

--
Peter
Old May 25th 06, 01:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Dan Luke wrote:

Ouch. This is bad for all of us, as there is virtually no competition for
WxWorx/Garmin.

So true. Last week I was talking to my avionics tech about the MX20/WSI
issues and he informed me that the MX20 (multifunction display) replacement
just released from Garmin will not even display WSI weather in any form.
This new display is only compatible with Garmin's XM receiver.

--
Peter
Old May 25th 06, 01:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Dan Luke" wrote in message

"Peter R." wrote:

Dan Luke wrote:

WxWorx.

Red precip without lightning:
http://www.seaerospace.com/garmin/396pic2.jpg

Red precip with lightning: http://www.seaerospace.com/garmin/396pic8.jpg

Nice.

WSI downlinked weather displayed on a Garmin MX20 moving map: Will never
display the lightning data now offered by WSI, thanks to the feud between
these two companies.

Ouch. This is bad for all of us, as there is virtually no competition for
WxWorx/Garmin.

XM/AviDyne

Matt

--
"I had one fundamental question about
economics: Why are some places prosperous

Old May 25th 06, 01:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Peter R." wrote in message
Dan Luke wrote:

Ouch. This is bad for all of us, as there is virtually no competition
for
WxWorx/Garmin.

So true. Last week I was talking to my avionics tech about the MX20/WSI
issues and he informed me that the MX20 (multifunction display)
replacement
just released from Garmin will not even display WSI weather in any form.
This new display is only compatible with Garmin's XM receiver.

http://www.avidyne.com/products/ex500.shtm (Even better with a two channel
data link)

http://www.avidyne.com/products/ex500_comparison.shtm (Compared to MX-20)

http://www.avidyne.com/products/ex500_freexm_rev00.pdf (XM link promo)

--
Matt
---------------------

Old May 25th 06, 02:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Matt Barrow wrote:

http://www.avidyne.com/products/ex500.shtm (Even better with a two channel
data link)

http://www.avidyne.com/products/ex500_comparison.shtm (Compared to MX-20)

http://www.avidyne.com/products/ex500_freexm_rev00.pdf (XM link promo)

Nice, but it appears that Avidine doesn't display WSI weather either.

--
Peter
Old May 25th 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

http://www.avidyne.com/products/ex500_multilink.shtm

Old May 25th 06, 03:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Matt Barrow wrote:

http://www.avidyne.com/products/ex500_multilink.shtm

Matt, is it me or you?

This shows all of the nice features of *XM* weather on the Avidine, but
nothing about WSI weather.

--
Peter
Old May 25th 06, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Peter R." wrote in message
Matt Barrow wrote:

http://www.avidyne.com/products/ex500_multilink.shtm

Matt, is it me or you?

This shows all of the nice features of *XM* weather on the Avidine, but
nothing about WSI weather.

That's their partner. What's the fascination with WSI? Or is it something
you dislike about XM?

Old May 25th 06, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Matt Barrow wrote:

That's their partner. What's the fascination with WSI? Or is it something
you dislike about XM?

My fascination with WSI is tied to the fact that I am already a WSI
customer. My preference is to maximize the 5.0 AMU expenditure spent
purchasing and installing the WSI downlink weather receiver two years ago
(back when Garmin and WSI were partners of sorts, too).

Believe me, the thought has crossed my mind several times in ripping the
damn unit out and selling it on eBay, then purchasing the Garmin XM
receiver, but given that WSI is about to change to Sirius satellite
delivery, I am going to wait until the dust settles after the now free WSI
receiver swap later this year.

--
Peter