Selling my airplane

Old February 16th 07, 10:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Default Selling my airplane

You can rent my Shell Lake WI hangar (KSSQ) (single, new,
tight, solid, power door etc, and carpeted) for $90/month.

Wow.... excuse me while I wipe the drool from my mouth.

We pay $112 per month for ours. Includes electricity. Go 50 miles
south, and they're just $45 per month, for one that's even nicer.

I can't for the life of me figure out what you guys see in the
coasts...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 16th 07, 11:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
B A R R Y

On 16 Feb 2007 14:43:14 -0800, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

I can't for the life of me figure out what you guys see in the
coasts...

Scenery, theater, employment, schooling, great restaurants, clubs (the
night and hobby kind), the ocean, mountains, art galleries, rock &
roll, the symphony...

I can see a Broadway show, ON BROADWAY, eat kick-ass Italian food in
Boston with a view of the Old North Church, visit the Yale Art
Gallery, eat scallops and whale watch off Provincetown, and hike in
the Adirondacks near the 1980 Olympic site, see fireworks over the
Statue of Liberty, hear the BSO in Boston OR the Berkshires, or watch
WW1 planes in Rhinebeck, ride Bike New York on my bicycle. I can
drive 10 minutes and mountain bike in 24,000 acres, where I might not
see another person! I could even do several in the same weekend, on a
lark...

I can see the Giants, Rangers, Bruins, Jets, Devils, Mets, Red Sox,
Patriots, Yankees, Phillies, Knicks, Celtics, 76'ers, Nets, Eagles, or
Flyers, catch the Big East or Hockey East championship tournaments,
ans sleep in my own bed after the game.

Tomorrow night, I'll get in a $30 scheduled limo and fly DIRECT to
Iceland for vacation. When I went to Rome, Barcelona, Zurich,
Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Anchorage, Honolulu, or Miami... I flew direct
as well.

Oh, why oh why do I put up with it? It ain't perfect, but it works
for me, even if I can't afford a hangar here. G

When I retire, I can sell my home and move to your neighborhood!
Old February 16th 07, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Noel

In article ,
"Dan Luke" wrote:

"Bob Noel" wrote:

only $320/month.

AAAAARRRGGHHH!

sorry.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old February 17th 07, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter R.

On 2/16/2007 5:43:17 PM, "Jay Honeck" wrote:

I can't for the life of me figure out what you guys see in the
coasts...

If only life were so simple that hangar fees dictated where to live.

--
Peter
Old February 17th 07, 01:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Barrow[_3_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
You can rent my Shell Lake WI hangar (KSSQ) (single, new,
tight, solid, power door etc, and carpeted) for $90/month.

Wow.... excuse me while I wipe the drool from my mouth.

We pay $112 per month for ours. Includes electricity. Go 50 miles
south, and they're just $45 per month, for one that's even nicer.

I can't for the life of me figure out what you guys see in the
coasts...

Water?

I'm a long way from the coast and I pay $375 a month for our Beech 36, and
we'll pay $475 if we upgrade to a turbine twin.

Matt Barrow

Old February 17th 07, 01:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Barrow[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Whatever floats your boat. :~)

When I retire, I can sell my home and move to your neighborhood!

Oh, so you'll come here and mess us up? :~(

Old February 17th 07, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Barrow[_3_]

"Peter R." wrote in message
On 2/16/2007 5:43:17 PM, "Jay Honeck" wrote:

I can't for the life of me figure out what you guys see in the
coasts...

If only life were so simple that hangar fees dictated where to live.

It's indicative of more fundamental issues, Peter.

Old February 17th 07, 01:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter R.

On 2/16/2007 8:16:13 PM, "Matt Barrow" wrote:

It's indicative of more fundamental issues, Peter.

With aviation-related businesses, perhaps.

But my point was that there are certainly other priorities besides the cost
of aviation. Having my three boys grow up in the same city as their extended
family tops my list.

--
Peter
Old February 17th 07, 01:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Feb 16, 6:34 am, "Dan Luke" wrote:
I've decided to sell '87D (anyone interested can see it on
rec.aviation.marketplace).

Whether I'll buy another airplane is uncertain, but right now I'm doubtful.
There are just too many negatives associated with owning an airplane in the
Mobile area -- principally hangar and mechanic problems. Most likely I'll go
back to renting from the Flight School, as the local aero club doesn't have
anything more capable than Skyhawks.

For the most part, I've loved having my own airplane, but it looks like soon
I'll be faced with either parking it outdoors or paying $320/mo. for a T
hangar at Fairhope, neither of which is acceptable. Put that together with
the fact that I've been unable to find a mechanic I can really trust, and you
have a situation I just can't enjoy. The FBO monopoly around here keeps fuel
prices high, too, another aggravation.

You folks that have cheap fuel, good mechanics or good hangar deals count your
blessings.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Dan,

Sorry to hear of your predicament. I was sympathetic when I read
about your problem with the black oil after 2 hrs running time, and
your mechanic (whom you had trusted to keep the engine in good shape)
said it was not a problem. Trust me, I know from personal experience
just how bad some A&P's are (not to mention the dishonest ones). It is
actually a tribute to your personal ethics that you have decided to
sell rather than trust your life to someone that might get you killed.
I am lucky since I am an Aerospace Engineer and know pretty much what
is up with my plane (Cessna 177A), and the A&P's can't BS me. Many I
have dealt with have tried, believe me. Just last year, I had some
studs break that hold the #4 cylinder on the engine case. I noticed
something wrong and turned back shortly after takeoff (smart me). To
make a long story short, no damage had been done to the engine yet,
and I was able to fix it for less than $50 in parts (new studs). I did
the work myself and had my IA help me put it back together for about 4
hrs labor charge from him. When I showed my problem to the engine shop
here at the airport where I am based, he immediately said I had to
split the case, yada, yada, yada. About $20,000 in all by the time you
were ready go fly again. That was a year ago and just replacing the
studs has worked fine since the engine is running nicely ever since.
My IA lets me do annuals on the ramp with me doing all the work, and
charges a set fee of $200 for the inspection. Since I try and keep the
plane in airworthy shape, that is usually all that is needed.
If you check around, you can find a good A&P that will work with
you. It is worth it even if you have to fly a couple of hrs to get to
him for annuals or major service. Ask everyone you know about a good
mechanic that will let you work with him. You can eventually find one
if you try. There are good and honest ones (and some awful owners
too!) out there. You could also look at keeping the plane outside
(although, that close to the coast I wouldn't want to) since it is the
humid salt air that does the damage, and a hangar doesn't help with
that.
The Cutlass you have is a sweet plane. Good ones are hard to
find. If you feel you have to go the way of selling, then it shouldn't
be too hard to do.

Regards,
Bud

Selling airplane Doug Owning 5 March 4th 06 01:24 PM
New Company selling Airplane Propellers for Experimental, Display and Air Plane Pieces Inc Owning 8 September 18th 04 05:02 PM
Selling our O-320-E2D optics student Aviation Marketplace 0 October 29th 03 03:29 AM