Evils of crossposting to rec.avionation NGs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 21st 04, 09:39 PM
VideoGuy

Default Evils of crossposting to rec.avionation NGs

Please understand, I'm NOT trying to begin/continue any kind of arguement.
This is a serious attempt to gain understanding.

As I've only been lurking around aviation newsgroups for a little more than
a year, I'll readily admit a lack of understanding of the finer points of
R.A.O "netiquette". It seems there are some members of this group who are
1.) Adamantly opposed to Jay Honeck and anything he does; 2.) Unequivocal
supporters of Jay, and 3.) Occasionally some appear to be both.

I mention this first part only because it is the kernel of my question.
Quite a few of the posts complaining about Jay also refer to the "vile"
practice of crossposting. I understand what crossposting is- I don't
understand how it causes such ire.

First, allow me to be forthright and admit that recently I utilized
crossposting when asking for help to identify a photo of an airport. I felt
that by posting to four aviation newsgroups at once I'd reach a larger
audience. I didn't see how this caused any harm. What would be the
difference if I listed four groups in the header, or I posted the same
request in four different groups? Is a poster limited to only one NG?

In fact, I considered crossposting preferable. Why? Because my newsreader,
(MS IE 6.0) will mark a cossposted article as read, in all groups, once I
read it in one. Thus, SAVING, not (as several have decried) wasting time.
In an attempt at humor, I even apologized for the crosspost, and offered to
come to the homes of those offended by the practice and personally delete
the offending posts. Apparently, my attempt at humor fell somewhat flat.

I've searched the rec.aviation FAQS and couldn't find anything pertinent to
the evils of crossposting. Am I missing something important here, or is
this just a lot of smoke by people who just don't like Jay?

Thanks,

Gary (promising to crosspost ONLY when necessary) Kasten