Sun N Fun!

Old April 11th 04, 04:36 AM
Jay Honeck

Default Sun N Fun!

Anyone else going? We're departing for Lakeland tomorrow afternoon, hoping
to make it as far as Alabama before hitting the thunderstorms down thataway.

It looks like a stationary front might be setting right smack in the middle
of things for a day or two, but we're ready to have a good time wherever we
end up. Hopefully we'll make it to SNF before mid-week, anyway...

If you're heading to Florida, too, stop in at the "Flying Colors Glass"
booth over in the fly market area. We'll be working over there from time to
time with Gary Elshoff, owner of FCG. Gary is the creator of our way-cool
stained glass windows, and he likes to help us promote the hotel, too. (And
he'll make a stained glass window of *your* plane, too -- right down to the
"N" number, if you'd like.)

Hope to see some of you folks down there!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 11th 04, 07:08 AM
Jack Allison

Unfortunately Jay, I have to limit myself to 1 3000+ mile x-country flight
per year :-) For now, I'll have to live vicariously through any trip report
threads that you and other folks generate.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old April 11th 04, 01:56 PM
Jay Honeck

What's the West Coast equivalent of Sun N Fun?

Is there one?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 11th 04, 02:03 PM
Kyle Boatright

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
What's the West Coast equivalent of Sun N Fun?

Is there one?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

Probably Arlington or Copper State, although neither approaches the size of
SnF... There simply are not as many aircraft on the West Coast as on the
East Coast.

Old April 11th 04, 03:26 PM
Jay Honeck

Probably Arlington or Copper State, although neither approaches the size
of
SnF... There simply are not as many aircraft on the West Coast as on the
East Coast.

???

I thought Arizona and California alone had a huge number of aircraft?
Surely enough to organize a Sun N Fun-type affair?

Oh well. I suppose those danged big hills out west would severely limit
attendance from us flat-landers. I know they have kept us from visiting
friends and family out on the Left Coast.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 11th 04, 03:36 PM
Kyle Boatright

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Probably Arlington or Copper State, although neither approaches the size

of
SnF... There simply are not as many aircraft on the West Coast as on the
East Coast.

???

I thought Arizona and California alone had a huge number of aircraft?
Surely enough to organize a Sun N Fun-type affair?

Oh well. I suppose those danged big hills out west would severely limit
attendance from us flat-landers. I know they have kept us from visiting
friends and family out on the Left Coast.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

There are lots of aircraft out west, but not as many as on the East Coast,
and the distances between population centers are larger too.

One way to look at it is to draw a 750 NM circle around your aviation event
of choice and count the number of aircraft within that circle. That's
probably your target audience. Sure, you'll get some aircraft from outside
that circle if the event is good enough, but 750 NM is a pretty good trip
for most of the Cessna/Piper single crowd, which probably includes well over
50% of light aircraft owners.

Using this criteria, Oshkosh has a draw that extends all the way to the East
coast, darned close to the Gulf of Mexico, through the mid west, and into
portions of Texas. SnF covers the entire Southeast, into Texas (or at least
close), into the midwest, and up the East coast almost to DC. For both
shows, there are a lot of light aircraft within a day's flight.

KB

Old April 11th 04, 03:54 PM
Teacherjh

SnF is also an excuse for the frozen folks to go south, potentially increasing
the draw from further away in certain directions. I'm not sure the Left Coast
has the same issues.

Jose

Old April 11th 04, 05:56 PM
Peter R.

Jay Honeck wrote:

snip
Hope to see some of you folks down there!

Looking forward to your trip report. Here's hoping that it is not
nearly as exciting as last year's report.

--
Peter

Old April 11th 04, 06:08 PM
Jay Honeck

Looking forward to your trip report. Here's hoping that it is not
nearly as exciting as last year's report.

Well, we're heading out right now. Looks like we might make Tennessee
before the weather goes to crap...

Talk to y'all next week!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 11th 04, 07:07 PM
Bob Fry

"Kyle Boatright" writes:

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
What's the West Coast equivalent of Sun N Fun?

Is there one?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

Probably Arlington or Copper State, although neither approaches the size of
SnF... There simply are not as many aircraft on the West Coast as on the
East Coast.

The Golden West EAA Regional Fly-In
(http://www.goldenwestflyin.org/gwaahome.shtml) tries to be the West
Coast equivalent, but it doesn't cut it. Poorly organized and the
locale is lousy. I probably won't go and it's only 40 miles away.

I find the Watsonville Fly-In & Air Show
(http://www.watsonvilleflyin.org/) to be more fun, though fog is a
real problem by then on the Pacific Coast.

Hope to fly up to Arlington this year with my Ercoupe buddy.

If none of those are good enough, there's always the University
Airport (Zero Oscar Five) 2nd Annual Open House April 24, 10am-2pm.