Smartphone question

Old December 31st 11, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default Smartphone question

I'm looking at getting a Dell Streak 5 to use in the cockpit (running
XCSoar) and I'm wondering if it is necessary to have a phone contract
to use it or can I just use the "tablet" features as is?

Obviously, it would be an "unlocked" Streak, and I know I couldn't
place calls with it....

Would it connect to internet if wifi is available?

Kirk
66
Old December 31st 11, 01:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike[_37_]

On Dec 30, 5:54*pm, "kirk.stant" wrote:
I'm looking at getting a Dell Streak 5 to use in the cockpit (running
XCSoar) and I'm wondering if it is necessary to have a phone contract
to use it or can I just use the "tablet" features as is?

Obviously, it would be an "unlocked" Streak, and I know I couldn't
place calls with it....

Would it connect to internet if wifi is available?

Kirk
66

No contract needed and the onboard GPS and WIFI will work fine.
Old December 31st 11, 01:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Dec 30, 7:21*pm, Mike wrote:
On Dec 30, 5:54*pm, "kirk.stant" wrote:

I'm looking at getting a Dell Streak 5 to use in the cockpit (running
XCSoar) and I'm wondering if it is necessary to have a phone contract
to use it or can I just use the "tablet" features as is?

Obviously, it would be an "unlocked" Streak, and I know I couldn't
place calls with it....

Would it connect to internet if wifi is available?

Kirk
66

No contract needed and the onboard GPS and WIFI will work fine.

That's what I thought. Thanks!

Kirk
Old December 31st 11, 04:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Dec 30, 7:25*pm, "kirk.stant" wrote:
On Dec 30, 7:21*pm, Mike wrote:

On Dec 30, 5:54*pm, "kirk.stant" wrote:

I'm looking at getting a Dell Streak 5 to use in the cockpit (running
XCSoar) and I'm wondering if it is necessary to have a phone contract
to use it or can I just use the "tablet" features as is?

Obviously, it would be an "unlocked" Streak, and I know I couldn't
place calls with it....

Would it connect to internet if wifi is available?

Kirk
66

No contract needed and the onboard GPS and WIFI will work fine.

That's what I thought. *Thanks!

Kirk

One more question: Does it make any difference if it's locked or
unlocked?

Kirk
Old December 31st 11, 05:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike[_37_]

On Dec 30, 7:21*pm, Mike wrote:

On Dec 30, 5:54*pm, "kirk.stant" wrote:

I'm looking at getting a Dell Streak 5 to use in the cockpit (running
XCSoar) and I'm wondering if it is necessary to have a phone contract
to use it or can I just use the "tablet" features as is?

Obviously, it would be an "unlocked" Streak, and I know I couldn't
place calls with it....

Would it connect to internet if wifi is available?

Kirk
66

No contract needed and the onboard GPS and WIFI will work fine.

That's what I thought. *Thanks!

Kirk

One more question: *Does it make any difference if it's locked or
unlocked?

Kirk- Hide quoted text -

No difference. I have a 5" Streak that is locked but not subscribed,
and it works the same as my 7" Streak that is unlocked. Also, you can
get unlocked codes but sometimes you have to pay for them.

Mike
Old December 31st 11, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Dec 30, 7:21*pm, Mike wrote:

[...]

Perfect, thank you!

Kirk

Old December 31st 11, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I looked for a Streak 5 and couldn't find a used one for under $300. There
were also a few new ones available for over $500!!! This for an obsolete
device...

I settled on a Samsung Galaxy Player which does everything the Dell does
(and some things better, being as it's 2 year newer technology), and got it
on sale at Best Buy for $209 with a 6-week no questions asked return policy.
I've connected it to my CAI-302 via Bluetooth and am completely happy with
the result.

I've heard that the Dell's display is more readable in sunlight but I can
always shade the display with my hand, turn it (or the glider) to get the
sun off of it. AND I don't intend to spend all day looking at the display.

For me the considerable savings and getting newer technology was more
important. I have the unit wired into the ship's batteries via the USB
cable so power won't be a problem. Besides, it'll run 4-6 hours on its
internal battery. It records HD video and has two cameras, AND I can play
music on it while I fly.

Now... If only the snow would melt...

Old December 31st 11, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Dec 31, 10:20*am, "Dan Marotta" wrote:
I looked for a Streak 5 and couldn't find a used one for under $300. *There
were also a few new ones available for over $500!!! *This for an obsolete
device...

Heck I'm still using an Ipaq 3970! I don't care if it's old tech as
long as it works better.

I settled on a Samsung Galaxy Player which does everything the Dell does
(and some things better, being as it's 2 year newer technology), and got it
on sale at Best Buy for $209 with a 6-week no questions asked return policy.
I've connected it to my CAI-302 via Bluetooth and am completely happy with
the result.

Prices for the Streak 5 are coming down - probably precisely because
it's "obsolete" ;^)

I've heard that the Dell's display is more readable in sunlight but I can
always shade the display with my hand, turn it (or the glider) to get the
sun off of it. *AND I don't intend to spend all day looking at the display.

For me, the Dell's better readability (and larger size than my current
Ipaqs) is the primary reason for upgrading.
Playing with XCSoar and LK8000 it's obvious that a big, bright display
is necessary to make full use of their capabilities.
So if the software is free, spend the money on hardware! And the Dell
display is apparently the best, until you move up to the high end.

For me the considerable savings and getting newer technology was more
important. *I have the unit wired into the ship's batteries via the USB
cable so power won't be a problem. *Besides, it'll run 4-6 hours on its
internal battery. *It records HD video and has two cameras, AND I can play
music on it while I fly.

When the new Samsung Galaxy Tab shows up here in the US, it might be
the way to go (latest hi tech!). And I'm due for an ATT upgrade...

Now... *If only the snow would melt...

No snow here in Phoenix, but also no lift.

Happy New Year!

Kirk
Old December 31st 11, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

It's fun to dream about the latest and greatest gadgets. Initially, when I
couldn't find a Streak at a price I was willing to pay (some call me cheap),
I started looking at alternatives. The Streak 7 Tab looked like a good
alternative and it was considerably less expencive than the Streak 5. Heck,
why not go with the 10 inch display?

I have a spare uncut panel for my LAK-17a so I cut up some file folders in
the sizes of the Androids, my instruments, radio, transponder, etc., and got
about to building a panel. I was considering a tunnel mount ala ClearNav
but there was simply no way to get it all in there. You should see a 10"
display on a stalk mount!

Enjoy the Streak 5. One of my buddies here has one and it's quite
impressive. In fact, it was he who got me going on Androids. Before that I
had a Mio running XCSoar and it worked just fine as long as the sun didn't
shine directly on the display. The biggest thing I've found is getting to
know the power of XCSoar and, I'm sure, LK8000, to be able to exploit their
power. I didn't get started until the end of the season and now I'm just
itching to get back in the air and see how much it helps with the decision
making.