How high can you fly a Cessna 172?

Old April 9th 04, 04:49 AM
Victor

Default How high can you fly a Cessna 172?

How high do you normally fly a Cessna 172. Have only been flying on
sea level airport and now will be flying on airports at aprox 7500' .
To get from one place to the other I might have to climb to 12500'. Do
you think that a 172 is able to do that?
Old April 9th 04, 05:47 PM
Bob Gardner

Got a manual for the 172? My 172P book says on page ii (first page in the
book) that the service ceiling is 13000 feet. In the Performance section,
the Max Rate of Climb Graph shows a climb rate of 175 fpm at 12000 feet
and -20 C.

Bob Gardner

om...

Old April 9th 04, 06:31 PM
Jim Weir

I guess the statute of limitations has run out after 30 years so...

coming home from El Centro to San Diego one fine summer afternoon, I got the
roller coaster ride of all time. I usually did that stretch at 6.5K coming
home, but wasn't particularly watching the altimeter until I noticed the cars
getting AWFULLY small. Then I noticed the VSI pegged against the 2K pin up and
the altimeter looking more like the sweep second hand on a clock.

It was well past 10K when I first noticed it, so figured I had to have been in
it for 5 minutes or so. Pulled all power off and put it way up near the yellow
arc and was STILL pegged at 2K up. The wave finally let me go at 19.5K. That's
got to be a record of some sort for a 172 (1964 E model). It was one hell of a
fast ride home coming down, I'll tell you.

As to the 12,500 figure, we used to use that number all the time with two of us
going to Oshkosh with baggage. All the way from Sacramento to Scottsbluff at
11.5, and 12.5 coming home.

Jim

-"Victor" wrote in message
. com...
- How high do you normally fly a Cessna 172.
-

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old April 9th 04, 10:22 PM
Rosspilot

Depends on WHICH 172 . . . my 145 hp Cont O-300 ('67) struggles to get to
12,000 . . . it takes a while and rate of climb drops to less than 100 fpm. My
cousin's '74, w/ 160 HP can get there a lot quicker.

www.Rosspilot.com

Old April 10th 04, 02:29 AM
smackey

A few months ago I tried to see how high I could go. My plane is a
C172 with 180hp Airplains conversion. Just my wife and me aboard. I
was still climbing at 15,750 msl, but quit since I then needed to
descend at a reasonable rate to land. Nice cool day here in
southcentral Montana. I was still getting a reliable 200'/min climb.
Old April 10th 04, 03:28 AM
Newps

smackey wrote:

A few months ago I tried to see how high I could go. My plane is a
C172 with 180hp Airplains conversion. Just my wife and me aboard. I
was still climbing at 15,750 msl, but quit since I then needed to
descend at a reasonable rate to land. Nice cool day here in
southcentral Montana. I was still getting a reliable 200'/min climb.

When you gonna get a real hangar and stop letting Corporate Air leave
your plane out all day?