Dumping Flying Magazine

Old April 9th 04, 05:00 PM
Jay Honeck

I always feel a bit empty by the time I get to the end of the AOPA mag but
don't know why. I seem to be the target market but the mag comes up

short.
I think the world of the organization though.

Funny, I think the world of the magazine, and think the organization comes
up short.

Private and P&P just don't have the writers.

Their mags are more hit and miss -- but Private Pilot "hits" often enough
for me to subscribe. P&P gets my dollar at the newsstand only when it
looks interesting.

IFR is great! I rip thru that. IFR Refresher is full of reruns so I
stopped.

I subscribed for a while when I was actively pursuing my IR. After deciding
to put that on hold, the magazine turned into a real snore...

Lane is OK and can get better.

I miss Bax but then who doesn't.

Lane runs dry once in a while, but she is still the best of the bunch.

There will never be another Bax.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 9th 04, 05:02 PM
Jay Honeck

I agree: too much .... Collins. \

It had too much Collins 25 years ago, when I dropped it.

I'll say one thing about Collins: The man is prolific. He writes two or
three HUGE articles each month, plus a flight reviews, plus an active
speaking schedule.

I should be so lucky when I'm in my 70s.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 9th 04, 05:04 PM
Peter Gottlieb

She's ok in my book, has a Cheetah like I fly.

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Is it me, or has Flying become among the worst GA magazines to read?

Two words: Lane Wallace.

I'd buy the mag just for her!

:-)

(But I agree with everything else you've said...)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 9th 04, 05:06 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Jay Honeck" said:
I'll say one thing about Collins: The man is prolific. He writes two or
three HUGE articles each month, plus a flight reviews, plus an active
speaking schedule.

Aren't most of his flight reviews just blowing the dust off of an old
review and maybe throwing in a paragraph or two about the current resale
value of the aircraft in question?

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
If netcat is compiled with -DGAPING_SECURITY_HOLE, the -e argument
Old April 9th 04, 05:21 PM
Richard Hertz

I find that all the magazines are fairly poor. Sure, there may be an
interesting article or two every now and then, but it wasn't worth the money
to wait for the infrequent decent bits. I also canceled the much praised
IFR "magazine"/newsletter. It is also pretty poor. Maybe there are no good
journalists/writers in the aviation field.

"Dave" wrote in message
om...
Is it me, or has Flying become among the worst GA magazines to read?
Why does it seem that all I read about are trip reports from Mac and
Dick Collins that, personally, offer little educational value? Each
of these guys write serveral articles per issue. Are they that hard
up for good writers, or do these guys just like to write everything
themselves? When I open AOPA Pilot, Flight Training, Private Pilot,
Plane and Pilot, etc. I find a good balance of education, reviews, and
good tidbits. All I feel I've gained from reading Flying is knowing
every detail of what's in the Avionics stack of Mac's Barron and
Dick's Cessna P210.

Old April 9th 04, 05:53 PM
Marco Leon

I like Flying. I get many of the mags out there as most are pretty cheap. I
got 3 years of flying for $36; if I only read one article per issue, it's
worth it. Lane Wallace is a terrific writer. Very colorful, one of the best
GA writers out there. I think Jay appreciates her because of his English
degree. That says a lot.

P&P reminds me of that "In Touch" mag my wife gets. All pics and very little
substance. I do enjoy Lyn Freeman's Partial Panel though.

Private Pilot is good and is the best GA-focused. A bit cheap-looking.

AOPA Pilot is mediocre but its volume of stuff makes it worthwhile as you
are bound to find one or two interesting articles per issue.

Face it guys, GA has a limit on topics to write about. You can't expect too
much from monthly issues in any single magazine.

Marco

om...

Old April 9th 04, 06:13 PM

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 15:19:48 GMT, "Maule Driver"
wrote:

Contrarian here... I like Flying

Me too. I'm probably going to resubscribe, since I end up buying it off
the newsstand almost every month. I like reading about the biz jets a
lot more than I used to. And, like you, its interesting to read about
people *using* an airplane, rather than playing with them the way I do
most of the time.

I enjoy Mac and Dick. I always find it educational - especially from the
standpoint of using GA aircraft for travel. I usually like Dick Karl. I
like Garrison as long as he stays technical but I don't care for his
aftermaths. I rarely read the jet & rotorwing reviews.

I like to watch Karl try to justify a jet. Garrison's too technical for
me; he's the only writer there that I almost never read.

Private and P&P just don't have the writers.

Private Pilot has regular helicopter special issues which I appreciate
as a concept, but the writing is very marginal in places. This is one of
the things that Flying and (most of the time) AOPA Pilot have got *down*
- the ability to write, and to spell.

The other thing that honks me off about Private Pilot and P&P is their
photography. I am a nut about cockpit photos, and they just don't get
it. I could take better pictures with my $400 Canon Digital Elph.
Further, sometimes they'll have twelve pictures of the *outside* of the
airplane and not a single one of the panel! Unacceptable. I've almost
written them about this more than once... I'll get around to it someday.

It just goes to show - again - each to his own.

Dave Blevins
Old April 9th 04, 06:58 PM
JFLEISC

Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993

wrote:
Two words: Lane Wallace.

I'd buy the mag just for her!

Amen to that!

Old April 9th 04, 07:14 PM
Jim

What I can't figure out is why NAFI (EAA's Flight Instructor "Association")
associates itself with Flying. NAFI members recieve Flying as a "Membership
Benefit" as well as a NAFI publication called Mentor that also falls short
of being useful. When was the last time that you read an honest article on
flight training in Flying other than full motion sim training for the latest
and greatest biz jet? If NAFI really wanted to provide instructors with a
good publication, it would create it's own version of AOPA's Flight Training
magazine.
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

om...

Old April 9th 04, 07:22 PM
Javier Henderson

wrote:

Contrarian here... I like Flying

Me too. I'm probably going to resubscribe, since I end up buying it off
the newsstand almost every month. I like reading about the biz jets a
lot more than I used to.

Same here. I remember one of the first Flying issues I read had a
review of the MD11. Obviously, an airplane I will never fly as PIC,
and yet it was interesting to read. Same with the slew of Citations,
Lears, King Airs, and what have you that get reviewed.

As for Collins' self indulgence, as blave wrote, I like to read about
people using their airplanes, and Collins definitely gets to use
his. He comes across a bit pedantic at times, but he's readable.

My beef with aviation magazines in general is that every airplane and
product featured gets a positive review, no matter what. Flaws are
minimized, virtues are extolled to no end.

There's also incessant repetition... I'm tired of reading about
thunderstorms every April and about icing every October. Those articles,
I tend to gloss over.

And finally, the monthly columns can be hit and miss. The monthly by
Tom Block was entirely forgettable, he wrote a lot about equipping his
airplanes but very little about airline flying. I really like the
stuff the new guy (Les Abend) has been putting out. Peter Garrison
has some cool stuff sometimes. Dick Karl seems to relate flying his
twin turboprop in a way that doesn't come across as pedantic. Lane
Wallace gets a little too prosaic at times, but I generally like her
style.

-jav