Mountain flying

Old January 12th 08, 06:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ASM

Default Mountain flying

What would be the best book explaining mountain flying???

Thanks,

Jacek
Pasco, WA
Old January 12th 08, 11:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jan 12, 1:36 am, ASM wrote:
What would be the best book explaining mountain flying???

You can start he
http://www.mountainflying.com/flying_info_1.htm;It's written for
power pilots but the same rules apply ; This guy also sells a book
with a lot of similar articles, charts
and hints- it's called "Mountain flying bible", by Sparky
Imeson.There's a lot about safety and weather specific to mountain
flying(like wave explanation, turbulence etc..)
also check this:
http://www.fepco.com/Bush_Flying.html

LB
Old January 12th 08, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

I am not an expert on mountain flying, but I do sell a book that looks very
good. It was written by Mark Palmer and is part of Bob Wander's "Gliding
Mentor" series.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/books...WaveFlying.htm

Other weather related books are available he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/books...ct.htm#Weather

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old January 12th 08, 07:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

I second the idea of using Bob Wander's weather books. Many of them
are good and cover ridge and wave lift. They don't cover the hazards
of Mountain Flying specifically, but they are good preparation (as is
Bob Wander's "Safer Soaring" book). If you haven't done much cross-
country flying, I highly recommend getting a few of those books as
well, because the preparations and safety margins explained in those
books are an important "starting point" for any mountain work.

You can buy them through Paul as he mentions, or directly through Bob
at the bobwander.com website. I like both guys, so I try to support
each of 'em with my various purchases.

There's no such thing as "too much preparation"!

--Noel
Old January 12th 08, 08:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Smith

ASM wrote:

What would be the best book explaining mountain flying???

Jochen von Kalckreuth: Segeln über den Alpen

It's somewhat vintage, but still fully valid. For me this is the
definitive book about soaring in the mountains. The book focuses on the
alps, but the knowledge it teaches can be used in any mountains. One
possible caveat, though: It's German. (I don't know whether there's a
translation)
Old January 12th 08, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Olson

You might find the articles on soaring in the Alps,
found here usefull:-

http://www.gliding.co.uk/sailplanean...ntarticles.htm

Old January 12th 08, 09:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On Jan 11, 11:36 pm, ASM wrote:
What would be the best book explaining mountain flying???

Thanks,

Jacek
Pasco, WA

I have not seen a good book in English, but Gavin Wills series in
soaring back around 2002 was one of the best. I may have them scanned
in PDF if you e-mail off-line I will check. His observations and
suggestions matches much of what I have learned in the last nine years
of extensive mountain flying. There is a need for a good English
translation of Segeln über den Alpen.

Tim
Old January 13th 08, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
pigro[_3_]

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 21:49:01 +0100, John Smith
wrote:

ASM wrote:

What would be the best book explaining mountain flying???

Jochen von Kalckreuth: Segeln über den Alpen

(I don't know whether there's a
translation)

To French: Au dessus des Alpes en planeur
(or, en planeur Au dessus des Alpes)

Excellent book

Aldo

Old January 13th 08, 02:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Martin

Some years ago I bought a book in Spain called;

Les Pyrenees en Planeur by Alain Blachard.

It was excellently illustrated and although in French
with a French/English dictionary I was able to make
sense of it, with a little patience.

Having flown in thermal, wave and ridge in the relatively
flat UK. The book helps to make clear the different
techniques required when flying 'in amongst' real mountains
rather than over the tops as we tend to do.

A few years later flying in the Alps it provided a
useful reference.

Sadly I loaned it out and it has failed to return home:-)
I do not know it of is still available

Dave Martin

Mountain Flying Doug Piloting 3 November 9th 06 05:11 PM
Mountain flying time... [email protected] Rotorcraft 13 April 8th 05 10:12 PM
Mountain Flying Course: Colorado, Apr, Jun, Aug 2005 [email protected] Piloting 0 April 3rd 05 08:48 PM
Mountain Flying Course? Nicholas Kliewer Instrument Flight Rules 15 May 9th 04 05:29 AM
ADV: CPA Mountain Flying Course 2004 Dates [email protected] Piloting 0 February 13th 04 04:30 AM