Electro-self-launching sailplane

Old September 11th 03, 08:27 PM
clement

Default Electro-self-launching sailplane

The AE-1 is a self-launching sailplane. The innovation is that the thrust
is given by electric motor! http://www.airenergy.de/silent/index.htm

I think that it is the first battery-powered glider with retractable
propeller but I am not sure. Have you already see this kind of propulsion ?

Do you think in 10 years (or more), the electric drive will be use on every
self-launching sailplane ?

Clément,

Old September 11th 03, 08:55 PM
Tony Verhulst

clement wrote:
The AE-1 is a self-launching sailplane. The innovation is that the thrust
is given by electric motor! http://www.airenergy.de/silent/index.htm

What kind of battery weights are we talking about?

Tony V.

Old September 12th 03, 01:01 AM
mm

"cdubya" wrote in message
Why only in europe do I see innovation in the field of self launching?

Has
there been no advancement tword this technology in the US? I guess if you
tried then the big oil companies would snatch up the patent and kill it.

If
anyone knows of anything like this going on state side, please post it.
This stuff is exciting!!!

Craig

I think you're onto something. If the oil demand due to launching
sailplanes were drastically reduced the entire oil economy could crumble.
Yeah, that's it.

Old September 12th 03, 02:47 AM
CH

You are right,
oil companies prefer to spend heaps of money for
the US election campaign of the next US president
and then ask him as a favour to dump tougher con-
sumption limits for cars.
But it,s even better for them, if the presidents family
is in the oil business.
Chris

Old September 12th 03, 04:04 AM
CH

Sure,
especially in flat land country
tows mostly can be replaced by winch launch easily.
The problem here in Australia is, that I nowhere have
seen a modern, safe winch and that on airfields with
mixed general aviation traffic and gliding operations
winch starts are not allowed. Last season I had an
average launch height of less than 1500ft - the winch
would do that as well, but cheaper.
Chris

"Bill Daniels" wrote in message
nk.net...
The amount of energy used in our hobby is no joke if you include the tug,
SUV to tow the glider trailer, etc...

I still like winches. They use about 1KWHr. per launch or about .5 liters

of
diesel fuel.

Bill Daniels

Old September 12th 03, 05:03 AM
Steve Bralla

In article , "CH"
writes:

You are right,
oil companies prefer to spend heaps of money for
the US election campaign of the next US president
and then ask him as a favour to dump tougher con-
sumption limits for cars.

If you have a business why invest in infrastructure? Invest in politicians,
the risk is lower and the return on investment much higher.

Steve

Sailplane Rides - Gifts Michael Rotorcraft 0 December 7th 04 06:20 PM
Sailplane Rides - Gifts Michael Products 0 December 7th 04 06:18 PM
Any sailplane pilots? Chuck Piloting 68 January 12th 04 01:28 AM
Rocket launching of gliders ? Anyone know if it's been done before ? Jason Armistead Soaring 10 September 13th 03 08:06 AM
FS: Udo Rumpf's SHP-18W Sailplane Wayne Paul Home Built 0 August 17th 03 05:31 PM