Trailer TETRIS

Old February 16th 10, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Default Trailer TETRIS

Has anyone had success with loading two 15m (Cobra or similar)
trailers into one shipping container?
Better yet, have the two trailers come out nicely at the other end?
Seems to me that one needs to go above the other in a high-cube: Tail
first up top and roll the other underneath...
Or both the axles removed and use a big Johnson bar (and a few cans of
spray paint).
Thanks,
Jim
Old February 16th 10, 08:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

On Feb 16, 1:50*pm, JS wrote:
Has anyone had success with loading two 15m (Cobra or similar)
trailers into one shipping container?
Better yet, have the two trailers come out nicely at the other end?
Seems to me that one needs to go above the other in a high-cube: Tail
first up top and roll the other underneath...
Or both the axles removed and use a big Johnson bar (and a few cans of
spray paint).
Thanks,
Jim

IIRC, Karl Striedieck and the Eagle Field boys did this for one of the
World comps not that long ago and posted pictures. I'm sure Karl or
John Good could fill you in.

P3
Old February 17th 10, 12:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karl Striedieck

Two Cobra/Komet trailers will fit in a normal container with the axles
removed. Pictures have been sent to Jim.

Karl Striedieck

Old February 17th 10, 03:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GM

On Feb 16, 1:50 pm, JS wrote:

Has anyone had success with loading two 15m (Cobra or similar)
trailers into one shipping container?
Better yet, have the two trailers come out nicely at the other end?
Seems to me that one needs to go above the other in a high-cube: Tail
first up top and roll the other underneath...
Or both the axles removed and use a big Johnson bar (and a few cans of
spray paint).
Thanks,
Jim

IIRC, Karl Striedieck and the Eagle Field boys did this for one of the
World comps not that long ago and posted pictures. * I'm sure Karl or
John Good could fill you in.

P3

Since we are on this subject: has anyone ever tried to ship a trailer/
passenger car combination in a 53ft van trailer? Does anyone know a
shipping company that would do a load like this? I am still looking
for a way to get my rig to UT without putting 4k miles on it and it
should fit.
Uli Neumann
'GM'
Old February 17th 10, 05:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Trucking companies are always looking to fill their trucks with
anything instead of "dead heading" them (running the trailer empty).
Since you're looking for pretty much an empty truck, you may not know
what - if anything - is going to happen until right before shipping.
Not much fun. The alternate of booking the trailer in advance you will
probably find more expensive than it's worth.
simple as it may seem. Easiest with a "straight" trailer, not one with
a "dance floor" like a moving van. You must arrange to load and unload
at warehouses or loading docks which have ample room (and a shallow
enough ramp angle) to maneuver the glider trailer from street level to
dock height and into the truck. Plan to provide all the straps to
secure the load. Most trucks have E-track in the walls, but there's no
guarantee (it might even be a flatbed). The truck may show up with
only load bars for load control, or straps which look like hell.
Examine your car and trailer to find the best way to secure them. Some
ways of strapping the car or trailer will make the suspension more
rigid, so the contents might not ride as you'd prefer. You may need 4
or 6x 2" 3000+ Lb ratchet straps with hooks on the ends, then 2 E-
track to D-ring adapters for each strap.
I believe that to be legal on a flatbed requires three straps for
each piece. You can probably return what you don't use, but may lose
straps as you will not necessarily be there to load and unload.

E-track, for example:
http://www.uscargocontrol.com/etrack...655140931a03f1
Strap:
http://www.uscargocontrol.com/ratche...afb8b38895e1ac
D-ring adapter:
http://www.uscargocontrol.com/etrack...655140931a03f1
or
http://www.uscargocontrol.com/6etrac...737ca867b64b01

Also look at this site for any moving supplies you can imagine.
www.newhaven-usa.com

Start by contacting trucking companies in the Salt Lake area and
around home. And here's one link for a starter.
www.dead-heading.com/
Jim

Old February 17th 10, 07:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glidergeek

* E-track, for example:http://www.uscargocontrol.com/etrack...2.html?zenid=5...
* Strap:http://www.uscargocontrol.com/ratche...083.html?zenid...
* D-ring adapter:http://www.uscargocontrol.com/etrack...enid=53c9c95b2...
* orwww.uscargocontrol.com/6etrackropetieoff-p-185.html?zenid=5f59e9288b3...

On Feb 16, 7:55*pm, GM wrote:

Since we are on this subject: has anyone ever tried to ship a trailer/
passenger car combination in a 53ft van trailer? Does anyone know a
shipping company that would do a load like this? I am still looking
for a way to get my rig to UT without putting 4k miles on it and it
should fit.
Uli Neumann
'GM'

Seeing as most freight trucks get 6-7 at best mpg and average price of
diesel is about $2.75 per gallon that's about .045 cents per mile just
for fuel X 4000 miles or is that one way half 2000 miles even at $1
per mile that's $2K? I know I own and operate 10 of these guzziling
beasts but I run tankers so unless you run your trailer through a
blender and add water I couldn't help you. Now my diesel pick up (4
wheel drive Chevy) gets about 16 mpg that brings the operating cost to
more like .17-.18 cents per mile. I've got a friend that runs freight
vans all 48 states that's based in Las Vegas Nv. where's your trailer
originating from? You might look for a flat bed that will haul a LTL.
Much easier to secure a load on a flat bed.
Old February 17th 10, 01:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GM

On Feb 16, 7:55*pm, GM wrote:

[...]

Much easier to secure a load on a flat bed.- Hide quoted text -

JS and glidergeek,
excellent info here! I am considering driving from SC to UT using my
Diesel Jetta, which gets around 35mpg with a trailer at moderate
speeds. My problem is that with the 'generous' allotment of vacation
time we tend to get in the US, I am pretty much blowing all my days. I
am figuring on about 3-4 days per leg (2,100miles). So my motive is to
save time by sending the rig ahead and to pick it up on the other end.
Decisions, decisions ....
GM
Old February 17th 10, 02:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rlovinggood

Golf Mike,

One of my cousins, who lives in SC, is an independent trucker that
makes cross-country trips all the time. Some time in the past, I
enquired about him hauling my glider trailer from NC to CA and it
wasn't going to be cheap. Something like US$4.00 per mile, if I
remember correctly. I suppose he would find his own load for the
return trip.

If you are interested, I can e-mail him and get a price. But as JS
stated, you'll need to arrange for places where the rig can be loaded
and unloaded.

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA
Old February 17th 10, 02:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

On Feb 16, 7:55*pm, GM wrote:

[...]

GM- Hide quoted text -

In exactly the same boat here - it's the "extra" days that kill any
hope of SW or West Coast contests for me. The one alternative that
I've toyed with is finding club member (retired, under-employed,
independently wealthy) who is willing to do the drive in return for
some flying time. I'm willing to let him/her have the aircraft for up
to a week either side of a contest.

Especially if they are willing to share a hotel room with you, the
incremental cost of paying for their food and a few extra hotel nights
is probably cheaper than any other alternative. Plus, you then have
crew for the contest...
Old February 17th 10, 02:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan[_4_]

Tim Mara's website has some pics of 2 304's shipped to oz in one
container on his website - 25/09/2004, http://www.wingsandwheels.com/Owners.htm.

One trailer w glider is under with axle removed, the other,
dismantled. Some pics of loading with forklift as well.