A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Flying Gliders in Europe: Medical Requirements

Old September 8th 18, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Flying Gliders in Europe: Medical Requirements

I'm trying to put together a trip to the LAK factory in Lithuania to test fly the new MiniLAK FES, a 16.5 meter self launch that I may decide to purchase.

The folks at LAK are onboard, but the civil aviation authority in Lithuania is raising bureaucratic barriers to my flying there. They've accepted my FAA license, passport, flight logs, etc. but have balked at a letter from my physician stating that I am fit to fly gliders. They want her to sign a letter stating that my health "corresponds to the requirements of Annex 1 of the Chicago Convention."

Translation: The ICAO convention in Chicago in 1944 set standards for international air travel, including pilot medical requirements, which are detailed in ICAO Document 8984, Manual of Civil Aviation Medicine. Unfortunately, the link on the ICAO web site to this manual doesn't work, and I can't find any other way to obtain that document, so I can't even inform my doctor about what she needs to know to write that letter.

Does anyone have experience obtaining certification to fly gliders in Europe? I've had no problem flying in New Zealand, but Lithuania seems to be a special case.
Matt Herron (Sr)
Old September 8th 18, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

You will need to bring the original Class II medical certificate with you. You should forward a copy before you leave on your trip and demand a response from them that indeed it is acceptable. I've flown in France many times including this year and that is what was required and accepted.

On Saturday, September 8, 2018 at 12:52:48 PM UTC-4, Matt Herron (Sr) wrote:
I'm trying to put together a trip to the LAK factory in Lithuania to test fly the new MiniLAK FES, a 16.5 meter self launch that I may decide to purchase.

The folks at LAK are onboard, but the civil aviation authority in Lithuania is raising bureaucratic barriers to my flying there. They've accepted my FAA license, passport, flight logs, etc. but have balked at a letter from my physician stating that I am fit to fly gliders. They want her to sign a letter stating that my health "corresponds to the requirements of Annex 1 of the Chicago Convention."

Translation: The ICAO convention in Chicago in 1944 set standards for international air travel, including pilot medical requirements, which are detailed in ICAO Document 8984, Manual of Civil Aviation Medicine. Unfortunately, the link on the ICAO web site to this manual doesn't work, and I can't find any other way to obtain that document, so I can't even inform my doctor about what she needs to know to write that letter.

Does anyone have experience obtaining certification to fly gliders in Europe? I've had no problem flying in New Zealand, but Lithuania seems to be a special case.
Matt Herron (Sr)

Old September 8th 18, 06:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike
external usenet poster

On Saturday, September 8, 2018 at 11:52:48 AM UTC-5, Matt Herron (Sr) wrote:

Matt Herron (Sr)

I believe it's not about Lithuania, it's the European Union. Once you are approved to fly with your FAA license in Lithuania, you can fly in most, if not all, EU countries, if I'm not mistaken. Years ago Class III medical was good enough, now it results it has to be Class II. Generally, glider pilots are not exempted from medicals in Europe, like they are here in US.
Old September 8th 18, 10:34 PM

First recorded activity by AviationBanter: May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post

Matt Herron (Sr)
1st result from a Google search

http://web.shgm.gov.tr/documents/siv...x%201-ed11.pdf

:-) Colin
Old September 9th 18, 12:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_3_]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, September 8, 2018 at 9:52:48 AM UTC-7, Matt Herron (Sr) wrote:

Matt Herron (Sr)

Went to Germany last year to fly a D registered glider. A Class II medical was sufficient to satisfy the ICAO requirements. Have fun in Lithuania!

Craig
7Q
Old September 9th 18, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Why not see an AME and get a Medical Certificate Class III?

On 9/8/2018 10:52 AM, wrote:

Matt Herron (Sr)

--
Dan, 5J
Old September 9th 18, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_3_]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, September 8, 2018 at 4:27:10 PM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:

Matt Herron (Sr)

--
Dan, 5J

Class III doesn't meet ICAO requirements
Old September 9th 18, 02:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Huthmaker
external usenet poster

On Saturday, September 8, 2018 at 4:27:10 PM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:

Matt Herron (Sr)

--
Dan, 5J

Depending on the pilot, there may be very good reasons not to apply for a new medical. You can only use BasicMed if you've never been declined for another medical certificate. If your borderline that you may not get one, you're better off never applying for one again.
Old September 9th 18, 09:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I have been flying in Europe for some time. In the EU, the standard is the FAA Class 2 Medical Certificate. They will not honor a Class 3 or a clearance letter.

An alternative in France is to obtain a medical examination from a flight physician in France. On my second trip to France my Class 3 Medical was refused but at St. Auban they set me up with a flight physical the next day.
Old September 10th 18, 09:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, September 8, 2018 at 7:49:47 PM UTC+2, Tom BravoMike wrote:
On Saturday, September 8, 2018 at 11:52:48 AM UTC-5, Matt Herron (Sr) wrote:

Matt Herron (Sr)

I believe it's not about Lithuania, it's the European Union. Once you are approved to fly with your FAA license in Lithuania, you can fly in most, if not all, EU countries, if I'm not mistaken. Years ago Class III medical was good enough, now it results it has to be Class II. Generally, glider pilots are not exempted from medicals in Europe, like they are here in US.

That's only the case if you are flying a glider registered in the EU. Pilots with FAA licenses flying N-registered gliders do not have to comply with EASA pilot certification and medical rules.