Soaring in or around Maidenhead UK

Old September 26th 18, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Barber

Default Soaring in or around Maidenhead UK

Hi John
Thanks for your kind words. Glad we could accommodate you and
you enjoyed the flying even though the thermals were so feeble
we couldn’t do much more than circuits.
Steve
Shalbourne Gliding

At 16:03 26 September 2018, John Huthmaker wrote:
I wanted to give a final update to everyone who was interested.

My trip
go=
t off to a pretty rough start. By the time Monday rolled around,

figured=
that it was most likely that I would not be able to go soaring.

Because
of=
that I didnt try to book with a club. Come Tuesday afternoon I

called
Las=
ham and Booker. Both were fully booked. Again I assumed that

it was not
g=
oing to happen.

Well I woke up this morning and stopped in to see my customer.

Everything
=
was going well, and I realized I was going to have all day to go

do
somethi=
ng. I pulled up the UK Soaring directory and found 5 clubs

reasonably
clos=
e. I called the first two, and they were fully booked. The next

two had
b=
ad phone numbers. I made my last call to the Shalbourne

Gliding club.
Whe=
n they answered I fully expected them to say they were all

booked. To my
p=
leasant surprise they said if I showed up at 1pm they would try

to fit me
o=
n to their books.

I got there and met with the chief flight instructor. Everyone at

the
club=
was really nice. Within probably 20 minutes of my arrival, I got

my
first=
winch launch. WOW, that is really something. I assumed it

would be
prett=
y thrilling. But actually doing it was simply amazing. We flew in

a K13.
=
That was a really glider. Nice a smooth. Probably the most

easy to fly
p=
lane I've ever been in. And the views were just stellar.

Thank you very much to everyone who replied to my thread.

And if anyone
fr=
om Shalbourne monitors these groups, my hats off to you.

Thank you very
mu=
ch for making the time for me.