Emagair Product Warning

Old September 18th 08, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Marc J. Zeitlin

Default Emagair Product Warning

Folks:

For those of you who are either flying with, building with, or
considering building with Emag/Pmag EI products from Emagair, you may
be interested in reading my warning regarding these products at:

http://www.cozybuilders.org/Emagair_Warning/

and doing some web searches of discussions that have occurred on
canard mailing lists/fora and RV mailing lists/fora.

Be careful.

--
Marc J. Zeitlin
http://www.cozybuilders.org/
Old September 18th 08, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stuart Fields

"Marc J. Zeitlin" wrote in message
Folks:

For those of you who are either flying with, building with, or considering
building with Emag/Pmag EI products from Emagair, you may be interested in
reading my warning regarding these products at:

http://www.cozybuilders.org/Emagair_Warning/

and doing some web searches of discussions that have occurred on canard
mailing lists/fora and RV mailing lists/fora.

Be careful.

--
Marc J. Zeitlin
http://www.cozybuilders.org/
Copyright (c) 2008 http://www.mdzeitlin.com/Marc/

Well written and you have given me a different slant on the P&E mags. I had
considered replacing my Slick with one of these. With your permission we
will investigate adding your warning to our November issue of our magazine.

Stuart Fields
Experimental Helo Magazine.

Old September 18th 08, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stuart Fields

"Marc J. Zeitlin" wrote in message
Folks:

For those of you who are either flying with, building with, or considering
building with Emag/Pmag EI products from Emagair, you may be interested in
reading my warning regarding these products at:

http://www.cozybuilders.org/Emagair_Warning/

and doing some web searches of discussions that have occurred on canard
mailing lists/fora and RV mailing lists/fora.

Be careful.

--
Marc J. Zeitlin

Marc: I checked in with Emagair and they have a Mandatory Service Bulletin
(MSB) dtd 09/20/08. We are getting your message out along with their MSB to
our readers of the November issue as well as informing all builders that we
know of using the Emagair units. Thanks to you for the heads up warning.
I hope they can get their problems solved as the units do look very
appealing as a Slick replacement.

stu

Old September 19th 08, 02:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Wanttaja

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 18:09:22 -0700, "Marc J. Zeitlin"
wrote:

Folks:

For those of you who are either flying with, building with, or
considering building with Emag/Pmag EI products from Emagair, you may
be interested in reading my warning regarding these products at:

http://www.cozybuilders.org/Emagair_Warning/

and doing some web searches of discussions that have occurred on
canard mailing lists/fora and RV mailing lists/fora.

Two buddies of mine have had these in their airplanes, and their litany of
failures are similar to what Marc has posted... one has switched to Lightspeeds
and is very happy, the other is back to Bendix.

Ron Wanttaja
Old September 20th 08, 03:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Marc J. Zeitlin

Stuart Fields wrote:

Marc: I checked in with Emagair and they have a Mandatory Service
Bulletin (MSB) dtd 09/20/08.

There is nowhere on the website that states that the SB is mandatory -
you have to actually open the SB to see that. The SB also does not
explicitly indicate that all aircraft with series 113 and 114 EI's
should be grounded until the update is performed.

All that notwithstanding, it is my opinion that the "fix" that they
advertise is not proven. The key/keyway performs no function, the
press fit is potentially susceptible to CTE issues, and the roll pin
is susceptible to walking out of the hole under severe vibratory
loads. Until this "fix" has been proven by hundreds of hours of
testing (and not by the alpha users in the field), I do not believe
that anyone should be flying with it, as there's no proof that it's
any better than the failed design that it replaces.

... We are getting your message out along
with their MSB to our readers of the November issue as well as
informing all builders that we know of using the Emagair units.
Thanks to you for the heads up warning. I hope they can get their
problems solved as the units do look very appealing as a Slick
replacement.

The idea is a great one - the execution, not so much, IMO.