0200A Higher Compression Cylinders?

Old December 12th 03, 05:32 PM
Boelkowj

Default 0200A Higher Compression Cylinders?

One of these days I will need to do a "top end" and wondering if higher
compression cylinders would be a way to go. That way I would feel more
comfortable using 100LL since my source of 80 octane is no longer available
here. Would I also expect a little more horse power? Thanks

Larry
Old December 12th 03, 06:02 PM
Larry Smith

"Boelkowj" wrote in message
One of these days I will need to do a "top end" and wondering if higher
compression cylinders would be a way to go. That way I would feel more
comfortable using 100LL since my source of 80 octane is no longer

available
here. Would I also expect a little more horse power? Thanks

Larry

The later casting cylinders are better for higher compression. You may
recall that timing was retarded to 24 degrees on older cylinders. You can
check up on all that with part numbers and the manual.

Compression may be raised by using C-85 pistons and the better casting stock
cylinders. Other mods, like a hotter cam, may also be done to improve
performance, but of course your engine can no longer be certified or keep
its data plate if modified.

Don't turn your engine over 2750 rpm.

Don't use 100LL in an O-200 without an additive to leach out the lead.

Talk to the guys who modify their engines for racing at Reno.

See this service bulletin from TCM:
http://www.sacskyranch.com/tcmtime.pdf

Old December 15th 03, 01:27 PM
Model Flyer

"Boelkowj" wrote in message
One of these days I will need to do a "top end" and wondering if

higher
compression cylinders would be a way to go. That way I would feel

more
comfortable using 100LL since my source of 80 octane is no longer

available
here. Would I also expect a little more horse power? Thanks

That's one of the engines that run's OK on Mogas, no need for using
avgas unless it's cheaper than mogas or you need to fly higher than
5,000 feet. Another consideration is your fuel system, if it's
designed so badly that you get vapour lock with mogas then you'll
have to stick to avgas, plays hell on your oil, you get a gray sludge
from the lead content.
--
---
Cheers,

Larry

Old December 16th 03, 02:25 PM
Stealth Pilot

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 13:02:56 -0500, "Larry Smith"
wrote:

Don't use 100LL in an O-200 without an additive to leach out the lead.

bull****
I run 100/130 leaded avgas in my O-200 with not a single problem.
it is a bog standard unmodified engine with one exception.
I use REM38E plugs instead of the standard REM40E plugs.
it runs as sweet as a well oiled swiss watch.
oil is BP D100 made in america.
oil I used before the local BP stopped being sold it by Shell was
AeroShell D100.
oil is changed every six months or every year, doesnt seem to make
much difference I think because I try to keep each engine run to
something over an hour.

on the other side of australia the supply is 100LL. I've never noticed
a difference in the running characteristics with either fuel.

engine has 550 hours on it now. I'd say that proves the combination.

I think you are referring to the problems with the early phillips
multigrade oil arent you? the O-200 itself has no problems with the
fuel if you use the appropriate plugs.
Stealth Pilot
Western Australia