Avia Economia, Part 2

Old September 18th 08, 04:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Avia Economia, Part 2

I've posted a couple of drawings on my blog
(bobhooversblog.blogspot.com). They should be on the top of the queue
so you won't have any trouble finding them. There's still a couple to
go, plus the text but these will give you the idea of what's involved.

While the wing is held in position by struts, stays or guy-wires, the
wing itself depends upon its internal structure to keep from
collapsing. As you can see, triangulated trusses hold the spars apart
and prevent the structure from collapsing.

Our goal is to come up with an internal structure that is strong
enough to withstand the maximum load while being as light as
possible. Since the wing is going to be built by people having no
prior experience, the principles embodied in the structure must be
easily understood and easily duplicated, since it's most likely that
more than one person will be involved in the construction. Finally,
the method must be inexpensive.

We will probably be using the Ison-Type truss, the drawing of which is
not yet posted. But it was necessary to post other types of wing-spar
trussing for comparison. Even then, there are literally dozens of
other methods of accomplishing this particular task. The reason I've
posted these particular methods is because they are the ones most
APPROPRIATE for this particular task.

-R.S.Hoover

Old September 18th 08, 06:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
flybynightkarmarepair

On Sep 17, 8:27*pm, " wrote:

We will probably be using the Ison-Type truss, the drawing of which is
not yet posted. *

The best pictures yet I've found of the construction of this type of
wing.

http://www.karmy.com/minimax/pictures/wing/wing.htm
Old September 18th 08, 01:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 20:27:43 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

[...]

Bob I must confess to being an adherent of Wittman's ply covered wing.
we can get marine grade 1.5mm sheet Queensland Hoop Pine ply
reasonably easily in australia.
the wing has the usual parallel truss ribs, a single spar which is a
solid timber, and a diagonal grain plywood cover.
the wing is amazingly light and is torsionally rigid. the Tailwind
needs only one strut.

I must send you a photo via email.

Stealth Pilot
Old September 18th 08, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Sep 18, 5:29*am, Stealth Pilot
wrote:

Bob I must confess to being an adherent of Wittman's ply covered wing.

Dear Stealth,

I agree. Steve's strut-braced wing is a wonderful example of
engineering, worthy of study by anyone having an interest in the
practical side of aeronautics. But the same can be said for Ken
Rand's wing or the geodesic wing of Bert Sisler (indeed, the wngs of
the 'Cygnet' and the 'Tailwind' are sisters under the skin).

But not for a Primary Glider :-)

-Bob

Old September 20th 08, 02:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
flash

"flybynightkarmarepair" wrote in message
On Sep 17, 8:27 pm, " wrote:

We will probably be using the Ison-Type truss, the drawing of which is
not yet posted.

The best pictures yet I've found of the construction of this type of
wing.

http://www.karmy.com/minimax/pictures/wing/wing.htm

Bob, is the SUPERFLOATER sort of what you have in mind? That is, as far as
the bracing in the wing?

http://www.kite-enterprises.com/SUPE...ges/sfwide.jpg

Flash

Old September 20th 08, 07:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
flybynightkarmarepair

On Sep 17, 10:21*pm, flybynightkarmarepair wrote:
On Sep 17, 8:27*pm, " wrote:

We will probably be using the Ison-Type truss, the drawing of which is
not yet posted. *

The best pictures yet I've found of the construction of this type of
wing.

http://www.karmy.com/minimax/pictures/wing/wing.htm

Here's some more of this type of all-wood truss wings, this time a
Legal Eagle

http://www.angoraaffaire.com/leu/wings.htm

Avia Economia, Part 1 [email protected] Home Built 4 September 17th 08 06:01 PM
[04/10] - 04 A-7.JPG (1/1) Part 7 - last Waldo.Pepper[_2_] Aviation Photos 0 September 16th 08 03:29 AM
[12/12] - P-51.JPG (1/1) Part 3 Waldo.Pepper[_2_] Aviation Photos 0 September 11th 08 04:59 PM
Do your part... Jay Honeck Piloting 7 November 26th 07 06:38 AM
RAF Avia AN26 (YL-RAC) ellx_lux Aviation Photos 0 July 21st 07 10:20 AM