VW transporter Engine?

Old September 20th 08, 12:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jerry wass

Default VW transporter Engine?

Dear VDubber & any & all others,

A friend of mine is contemplating seriously building a Double Eagle &
has spotted what I think is a 2100cc transporter engine--it's in a van,
has 2 carbs, & I have not seen it, nor do I know how to distinguish
between the various models & sizes--I have Finch's book & also-"How to
hot rod Corvairs" on corvairs & am well versed in the differences in them.

Could someone direct me in the right direction on this VW---
Especially a few special identifying features peculiar to the 2100cc.

Would it make a good direct drive aero engine?
Are standard parts & mild strengthening mods available..
some website links would be appreciated.

Wass biplane---50% done & 75% to go---

BTW- the rec. metalworking newsgroup has gone ape s#@t over
politics--You cant find out anything over there--hope us aeroplayners
don't do the same..Jerry
Old September 20th 08, 01:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

Jerry Wass wrote:

Dear VDubber & any & all others,

A friend of mine is contemplating seriously building a Double Eagle &
has spotted what I think is a 2100cc transporter engine--it's in a van,
has 2 carbs, & I have not seen it, nor do I know how to distinguish
between the various models & sizes--I have Finch's book & also-"How to
hot rod Corvairs" on corvairs & am well versed in the differences in them.

Could someone direct me in the right direction on this VW---
Especially a few special identifying features peculiar to the 2100cc.

Would it make a good direct drive aero engine?
Are standard parts & mild strengthening mods available..
some website links would be appreciated.

Wass biplane---50% done & 75% to go---

BTW- the rec. metalworking newsgroup has gone ape s#@t over
politics--You cant find out anything over there--hope us aeroplayners
don't do the same..Jerry

53 more shopping days...

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)
Old September 20th 08, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Anthony W

This is a good engine but I don't think they were factory 2100cc, 2.0L
was the largest and 1.7 was the smallest. They have a couple of
problems the worst being the valve seats have a tendency to pop out.
Jake Raby does good work on these based on the previous work of Mark
Stephens.

Tony

Old September 20th 08, 01:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Sep 19, 4:47*pm, Jerry Wass wrote:

A friend of mine is contemplating seriously building a Double Eagle &
has spotted what I think is a 2100cc transporter engine

Dear Jerry,

There's no such thing as a 2100cc VW engine. The Type 4 engine, which
was installed in Transporters imported to the US (most late-model
Transporters did just fine with the upright 1600 engine) came in three
sizes, 1800cc, 1900cc and 2000cc. Some had dual carbs.

The Type 4 is an excellent engine but is an extremely poor choice for
the Double Eagle due to its extra weight and limited parts
availability. If converted for flight, the prop should be installed
on the clutch-end of the crankshaft, a realatively easy mode since the
crankshaft is flanged. But doing so would require the fabrication of
an entirely new engine mount for the Double Eagle.

According to Steve Bennett (ie, Great Plains) most of the folks
building the Double Eagle are opting for the 2180cc engine.

If the fellow can acquire the engine at little cost, he should do so.
It represents a significant value as 'trading goods' since the core
was also used in the VW-Porsche.

The problem with putting the prop on the pulley-end of the crank is
well documented and should be read carefully before risking your life
on that particular modification.

I don't consider myself qualified on the T4, never having had enough
of them to experiment with. But with the exception of its valve
train, the T4 is a fully modern engine which embodies all of the
modifications defined in the HVX files (and found in ANY modern-day
engine). The main problem with using it for flight is its weight and
the need to blow it out -- stroker crank & bigger jugs -- to get the
power you'll need to power a Sonex (for example). But properly
overhauled, it will give a quarter-million miles of reliable service
in the Transporter and makes good trading material.

-R.S.Hoover

Old September 20th 08, 02:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_12_]

cavelamb himself wrote:
Jerry Wass wrote:

[...]

Then they start for the 2012 election cycle.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old September 20th 08, 03:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
stol

On Sep 19, 7:46*pm, Dan wrote:
cavelamb himself wrote:
Jerry Wass wrote:

[...]

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired- Hide quoted text -

If there is not a revolution first,, G They can only push us so
far , then it is "lights out"...
Old September 20th 08, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Anyolmouse

Reply in Line

-----------
Dear Jerry,

There's no such thing as a 2100cc VW engine. The Type 4 engine, which
was installed in Transporters imported to the US (most late-model
Transporters did just fine with the upright 1600 engine) came in three
sizes, 1800cc, 1900cc and 2000cc. Some had dual carbs.

My used '73 van had a 1700cc which I changed to a 2000cc ASAP. The
2000cc was out of a fuel injected camper van and didn't have a
mechanical fuel pump. The boss was there but wasn't machined for the
pump. We installed an electric pump at the tank and a pressure regulator
at the carburetor. (Progressive 2 brl).

Old September 20th 08, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Jerry Wass" wrote

BTW- the rec. metalworking newsgroup has gone ape s#@t over politics--You
cant find out anything over there--hope us aeroplayners
don't do the same..Jerry

So far, so good. sound of knocking on wood
--
Jim in NC

Old September 20th 08, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jerry wass

Many Thanks to all the responders to my query--the information tendered
was gratefully received..wassbiplane

"Jerry Wass" wrote