Which Logger?

Old September 10th 03, 03:12 AM
Pete Brown

anyone had any experience with the EW looger. It's about half the price of the
others.
__Mike

They are OK if you operate them correctly ... as the internal battery
can run flat very quickly. The don't have any ENL recording so are not
suitable in Turbos/Self Launchers.

I use an EW B model in my self launcher and its easy. The EW
has leads for a motor contact switch that you can hook up.

The internal battery lasts plenty long unless you set a
rediculously short data point interval.

--

Peter D. Brown
http://home.gci.net/~pdb/

Old September 10th 03, 11:46 AM
Tim

Tim Newport-Peace ]s comments read:

In article , Tim tim_spam_d
writes
(Mzsoar)s comments read:

anyone had any experience with the EW looger. It's about half the price of the
others.
__Mike

They are OK if you operate them correctly ... as the internal battery
can run flat very quickly. The don't have any ENL recording so are not
suitable in Turbos/Self Launchers.

Firstly, the latest model (D) can run on external power.

Although the D will run from internal power if it is turned on and
_then_ connected to external power. Just make sure you do it the
correct way round

--
Tim - ASW20CL "20"
Old September 10th 03, 12:55 PM
Ray Lovinggood

As others have said, you will need a gps to send data
to the EW logger. I would suggest a Garmin. It seems
if you show up at a fun-fly or a contest, there may
be others there with EW/Garmin combinations, and getting
turnpoints and doing downloads might be easier if others
are in the same 'group.'

I have a Volkslogger. Compare the cost of it with
the EW/separate gps. (Cost in U.S. Dollars)

1. Volkslogger: $800
2. Goddard power supply and cable: $130 +/- (I forgot
actual cost)
3. Compaq 1520 (from e-bay about three years ago and
I paid way too much. Your mileage may vary. )
4. The 'free-ware', PocketNav, (or whatever it is
called) from Cambridge for the Compaq
5. Software sold by Paul Remde, created by Henri Birecki,
that transfers the Volklogger igc file to the Compaq.
With this $20 piece of software, I don't need a notebook
computer to download the Volkslogger at the field.
However, I won't be able to upload any data to the
Compaq or Volkslogger at the field, unless I borrow
someone's computer. Hopefully, I'll have all the data
I will need (cross my fingers) when I get to the field.

Total cost: $950, not including pda. So yes, you
can get an EW and a gps for less than $950. The good
thing about one model of the EW is that it has the
internal battery. The Volkslogger has no internal
power source and power must be provided via the cable
that also sends and recieves data.

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

At 12:06 10 September 2003, Jose M. Alvarez wrote:
Recently I decided for a Volkslogger. Easy installation,
screwed it in place
of the camera, small, GPS included. IGC files perfect.
Several friends have
EW and have trouble with downloads, plus you need another
GPS to connect.
If I were you I'd go for a Volkslogger. Besides, the
EW is not that cheap!

Jose M.Alvarez

'Eric Greenwell' escribió en el mensaje
. ..
In article ,
says...
Most other loggers include a GPS the EW does not
and has to be used with

specified GPS for ICG approved flights.

This aspect makes it more work for you and your official
observer, if
you go for badges or records. It is also limited to
the Diamond badge
and lower.
--
!Replace DECIMAL.POINT in my e-mail address with just
a . to reply

Eric Greenwell
Richland, WA (USA)

Old October 5th 03, 01:12 AM
Jim Kelly

Looking back over the comprehensive posts under this recent thread,
I'm curious that the Thermi was not included in the discussion? Is
it not a suitable FAI approved logger/gps that can drive programs
like WinPilot on an iPaq Pocket-PC?

How does Thermi differ from Colibri or Volkslogger?
I am interested to hear comments in this regard . .

Thanks

Jim Kelly.

om...
wrote in message
| Anyone out there got any views on the pros & cons of
| the Colibri vs Volkslogger?
|
| They're about the same price / size etc.
|
| Anyone used both & have a preference?
|
| (I'll probably end up connecting the logger to an LX160s
| vario & a PDA running the free version of Cambridge
| PC-Nav)
|
| Cheers
|
| A friend of mine has the Volkslogger and I have the Colibri. I
prefer
| the Colibri because of its larger memory and FIFO software. That
is,
| when the Colibri runs out of memory, it overwrites the oldest
flight,
| whereas if memory serves me, the Volkslogger just stops recording.
| Also, the Colibri is smart enough while you're waiting on the
ground
| to take off that it stops recording, while I believe the
Volkslogger